1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cruisin' Along to Distant Shores

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by PatchyBoy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Monday, 25th November - Conversation between my wife and me

Wife - Listen, what plans for the weekend?
    Me - It is only Monday. We just got out of one weekend.
    Wife - No, there is somewhere I wanted to go. Was hoping we can go this weekend.
    Me - (Assuming it was some place in B'lore, probably shopping) Sure. No problem. Where are we going to?
    Wife - Velankanni
    Me - What? The Velankanni in TN?
    Wife- Yes
    Me - Hmmmm...OK

That is how the plan materialized. I looked up Google maps, decided on the route, checked the car to make sure all was well. The usual boring, but critical stuff. The plan was to start early morning on Saturday, reach by sunset, check-in, visit the church and then head back home on Sunday. Meanwhile, I spotted this thread about a Chennai meet. I wanted to participate, if possible, without inconveniencing fellow TFIans from Chennai. Not sure, if that objective was met :D

Anyway, coming back to my drive, we started as planned on Saturday morning. I had booked a room in the Velankanni Lake Resort, a resort built on what appears to be a man made lake. It is on the ECR - meaning one does not have to enter town - and very reasonably priced. The Non-AC room was ₹ 1050 per night per couple. Good place for a short stay. Check in is 2 PM and check out is noon. They have a nice restaurant. Probably the first resort I have stayed in where smoking is not allowed and they do not serve alcohol. Food was reasonably priced and quite good.

We checked in, had a shower and headed out to the church. After spending time there, we came back, had dinner and called it a day. A funny anecdote that happened there - the non-AC rooms are still being fully set-up and are located at the farthest end of the resort. The path leading to the room was not yet paved. So, I enquired at the reception and expressed apprehension that it might become slushy, should it rain. The receptionist agreed, but also added - "There is no chance of rains now Sir". So, it rained non-stop from midnight till 7 AM. And heavily. It just poured and poured. The guy must go to work with weather forecast :)

We could check out and leave only by 7:30 AM on Sunday, thanks to the rain. I was hoping to be able to make it in time to the lunch meet. I had already barged into the meet uninvited and would hate to make people wait. We stopped for breakfast in a place called Ananda Bhavan, located on the Chidambaram bypass. Awesome south Indian breakfast. The coffee was out of the world. I had 2 cups. Then proceeded towards the rendezvous at Mahabs.

I got to Mahabs at 1:00 PM. There was not even one FIAT car in the parking lot. Called up Ananth, who told me the guys were on the way. My wife observed that we drove 300 kms and still made it in time, to which I responded - that is the difference between a highway drive and a city drive :). Once everyone arrived, we asked the women to have lunch first, so that some one can take care of little Vivaan while we ate. The kid was cool. He never cried or complained. We got into the essential business of talking cars, which continued till we finished lunch and it was time for me to leave. After a quick picture of everyone, we bid our goodbyes to the Chennai folks and headed home.

Pictures:

DSC00434.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

This Marathi lady migrated from Nanded and set up a shop just before Vandavasi. She was thrilled to have Hindi/Marathi speaking customers and treated us to awesome home made tea.

DSC00435.jpg

DSC00440.jpg

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00442.jpg

DSC00445.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

The resort we stayed at.

DSC00452.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00454.jpg

DSC00455.jpg

The customary "I was there" car pic ;)

DSC00456.jpg

DSC00457.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

DSC00460.jpg

These geese lived in the resort and came running to me and posed for the pictures.

DSC00464.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

DSC00470.jpg

DSC00474.jpg

Wall carving at the resort in Mahabs

DSC00475.jpg

Swimming pool at the resort in Mahabs

DSC00476.jpg

The gang :D

DSC00480.jpg

Vital Stats:

Distance driven - 1165 kms
    4 lane divided highway - 165 kms
    2 land undivided highway - 1000 kms
    Driving time - 21 hours
    Average speed - 55.47 kmph
    Petrol burnt - 68 lts - 32 lts at Karaikal (part of Pondicherry) @ ₹69.61 a lt and 36 lts today at B'lore Shell @ ₹ 77.89 a lt.
    Trip Mileage - 17.13 kmpl

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
    18 people like this.
  2. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    @Rajan, as usual awesome snap and trip report, short and crisp. Would love to drive along on such short trips, may be next time ... with respect to the church visit, was this a busy time?

OT - trust our plan to meet up closer to Christmas is on :confused: ... I'm waiting for my share of the Mrs.Rajan's Christmas cake :rolleyes:!!
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks. This was an almost unplanned trip, hence did not post on the forum. Will surely let you know next time. We were in the church from 7:30 PM to 9:30 PM. It was not very crowded at all. I would expect more crowds during the day and maybe closer to Christmas.

We will surely meet closer to Christmas. I am planning on something different this time. Check your PM :)

Rajan
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Rajan, once i had been to velankanni too. Nice place indeed. Waiting for the actual "cruisin" report:-D. Great pics man and to the point T'log.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks. I did not get into the nitty-gritty, as I am sure no one wants to know what I had for breakfast and how many times I stopped for a bio-break :D

There is really nothing much about "crusin' report", per se. I used the CC extensively - set to 100 kmph on 4 lane divided highways and 90 kmph on 2 lane undivided highways (speeds indicated by GPS. My MID has a 10% error). Observations:

1. Do not get too distracted talking to the co-driver, while using the CC
    2. Use with caution on 2 lane undivided roads in the night, especially if you are drowsy
    3. Remember to use the "+" and "-" functionality to increase and decrease speed, unless a downshift is required. Helps lessen brake pad wear
    4. Plan overtaking properly. Remember with CC engaged, the vehicle just keeps going towards the obstacle at the same speed
    5. Be prepared for the exceptional pull when you hit the resume button. The car will almost feel out of control for the first couple of times :)
    6. Do not use CC in the ghats. That is where a MT, especially a FIAT shines. Switch CC off and have fun driving the twisties

All in all, this is the third highway drive after installing the CC and I am loving it. I am now convinced that people who claim that CC is not useful on Indian Highways have never used CC in India, or do not know what they are talking about :)

Rajan
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Good information! Thanks for sharing.
    I am interested in exploring CC possibilities in my Punto. With two kids to manage at home, finding time away from work and family is what stops me. I might venture out on CC in the last week of Dec or first week of Jan. I might need your help then :) I am very poor in auto electronics, eyes getting old too :)
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  7. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Allow me to jump guns Rajan. @fiatlover, its not like what you think(i mean auto electronics). Two things is all that you need. One is to be literate and the other a well documented material. You can do the complete wiring of any automobiles with the these two things(from my perception). I am loving elearn. Never enjoyed reading :-D in my life so much.

Hope one day i will also be able to use CC on one of my long drives in my 90 HP.
    3 people like this.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ totally agree with what satish says. Apart from that, you also need two critical personality traits - patience and a never say die attitude.

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  9. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That's an awesome mileage figure to see on TJET
    1 person likes this.
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Well, I am patient to work until I get the result I get want. But at the back of my mind I remember the disclaimer in red in the main thread on this topic. Someone who has already implemented successfully is good to have with, so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel. :) I said Dec-Jan because, most likely, my family will be in Kerala then and I will have enough time to spend on this project.
    1 person likes this.