1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cruise Control for Fiat Punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Prasanna Godugu, Sep 21, 2011.

1. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    If the cost involved is under 6k as Mr. Rajan has mentioned in his thread or anything below 10k, I am eager to try this on my Punto. But, given mine is an Active variant and I am not quite sure, if it would work. If some one could just confirm that the CC works on 2010 Sep made MJD Active, I might go ahead and try to source a CC stalk. Since I am in Europe till the mid of Oct, I can carry it back to India with me, saving on the shipping charges. Then the real trouble starts for Mr. Rajan with the long phone calls from me or even drive down to Bangalore and spoil one of his weekends :D

If not, I might use the same amount of money to buy a Race Chip :)

On the other hand. From the new facelift Linea scoop pics, one can see a CC stalk available. So would that be an easier way to source the CC stalk (in 2014), though a bit more expensive I guess?

I have done several highways runs with my Punto. My most regular one is Hyderabad - Vijayawada to the temple and back home on the same day. The distance would be around 600kms 2-way. I would do the same for many more years to come and as regularly as possible. Given the newly laid awesome highway, I think, I can exploit the CC feature as much as possible here.

How I wished on my way to Bangalore for the South India meet last year, that I had a CC. It was quite boring to put the pedal to the metal and hold it for long hours.
  2. I doubt whether you can use Linea's stalk in Punto, btw part number for Linea is 735442317 and Punto is 735521318.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    For me it was a lone battle. I was first skeptical, then incredulous, then curious, then confident and finally triumphant :D. Took more than 3 months of focussed effort to get there. Now that there seems to be a bigger group of interested folks, here is what I recommend:

Start a Project CC. Identify areas for research, fact finding and information gathering. Divide the tasks amongst the interested folks. Collate all the findings regularly. I am sure with this kind of co-ordinated effort, it sure will be possible to crack this pretty quickly.

I know for a fact that people in other countries have done this successfully in all variants of FIAT - both Linea and the GP. So, it should be very much possible here as well, unless FIAT played spoilsport and decided to give us a scaled down version of the ECU / BCM code, which in my opinion is highly improbable.

I am always available to help as required. Why don't we create a whatsapp group or something for this activity?

Rajan
    3 people like this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    To my knowledge the variant shouldn't be an issue, Kiran. I believe there won't be different ECUs and Body computers for same car with different variants. I would still insist that you shouldn't need to buy anything at this point of time. Lets research for something concrete. I am doing lot of reading for Linea MJD and will report here if I come across something for Punto too. :)

Sounds Good. :)
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. N Kiran

Hyderabad
    True. My doubt was that the instrument cluster is a basic one as compared to Emotion or 90HP and hence might not have the CC option available. Lets research then. I will try to gather any information I can from my end. I might have many more visits in store as long as I am associated with my current organization.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Even then CC should work without displaying the message (Cruise Control On) on MID. I heard Rajan saying that there are instances where people (in Europe) don't get the message but still the CC works.
  7. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

If the price of the yellow cables you are trying to source is more that INR1500, just buy the cheap OBD II scanner available on Ebay and changing the PINout should be an easy job.

I think the yellow cable can be DIY'ed easily if one can find a pair of OBDII connector's (Male+Female) for cheap.
  8. N Kiran

Hyderabad
    Has anyone from Hyderabad started the research about the CC option available on Puntos yet? Prasanna seems to be waiting for your call.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    This is what you will need. For US $ 3.95 a piece, it would cost a fraction of a ready made cable. Try and source through someone in the US.

Any TFIian in the US at present?

Rajan
  10. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    OK Punto Guys - Here is the how to for the GP to add this functionality

GP CC Functional Desc.JPG

GP CC.JPG

For the electronically proficient, here are the resistance tests:

Disconnect the wiring side connector from the steering wheel stalk unit Cruise control stalk

- Place the Cruise Control control in "ON" position
    - Connect the probes between pins A8 and A10 of the Cruise Control stalk connector and ensure a resistance reading of approximately 2480 Ohm +/- 20 % is present at 20°C

- Place the Cruise Control control in "SET+" position
    - Connect the probes between pins A8 and A10 of the Cruise Control stalk connector and ensure a resistance reading of approximately 345 Ohm +/- 20 % is present at 20°C

- Place the Cruise Control control in "SET-" position
    - Connect the probes between pins A8 and A10 of the Cruise Control stalk connector and ensure a resistance reading of approximately 740 Ohm +/- 20 % is present at 20°C

- Place the Cruise Control control in "RECALL" position
    - Connect the probes between pins A8 and A10 of the Cruise Control stalk connector and ensure a resistance reading of approximately 132 Ohm +/- 20 % is present at 20°C

So, if there is a power supply to the relevant pin in the BCM, with the required resistance, the CC light should come on and the message must be displayed in the MID. If this can be attempted with successful results, then the "Group Buy" discussion can resume :D

Now, the million dollar question - Who is going to bell the cat?

Rajan
    7 people like this.