1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cruise Control for Fiat Punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Prasanna Godugu, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore

seems to be the only one with rear wiper as well as CC included.
    Relax Sat. Hold on a bit, by this time tomorrow, we might know exactly what it would take to get CC on a Punto.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. Relax ?? You ignited this passion,hats off to you.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Venka/Rajan,
    Awaiting updates on your finding about Punto.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    OK People. Here is the update:

1. The Punto needs a different adapter for the OBD scanner to connect to the Body computer - adapter 3 or Yellow adapter as shown here
    2. Pins 20,21,22 and 23 are blank and not connected, at least on the GP Dynamic 75 HP
    3. We tried connecting +12 v to pin 20, but no luck

The results- inconclusive. I am sure it can be done, but I do not have the necessary tools at the moment. Do not give up hope yet, though. If any GP owner is adventurous enough to buy the unit posted by Prasanna, get the Yellow adapter required for the S/W, we can try and confirm if it works. I do not see any reason why it should not. Sadly, I will not be able to embark on that adventure, as I do not own a Punto.

Special thanks to Venka for being brave enough to allow me to fiddle around with his car. I later found out he had RSA on speed dial :D

Rajan
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Was your regular OBD Scanner connecting to any of the feature set on the punto if not the body computer? I bought a scanner recently and it was not working on my Punto. Not sure if it's the yellow cable problem or if it's the problem with the scanner itself?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ok, i looked at the link you posted. Looks like i should be able to connect to the Engine but that is not working too which might mean the problem is something else.

Been reading about the resister issue on the chinese ones, I'll open up and check that out.

The Scanner is responding to the AT commands correctly and says ELM1.4+ but does not connect to the ECU. :confused:

It's just the pinout that is different for the yellow cable, so if the cable is not available someone can alter the pinout on their OBD to work in accordance with the yellow cable.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I was able to connect to the ECU only. No other modules. Everything wanted the Yellow adapter. I have already done the resistor removal exercise on my adapter, so that is fine. I am also aware that it is just a matter of re-routing the wires to different pins, but did not want to do that with my adapter.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  8. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Yeah, there is no point fiddling with your adapter that serves the purpose on your car. The PIN out change should be done on a spare.

So, you did have to do the Resistor removal exercise? I opened up the Scanner but the circuit is kinda different from the one that is being discussed on the forums. I have to take a closer look at it to figure out which resistors to remove. My vision has probably degenerated, i can't even read what's written on the components.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Post a picture of your PCB - both sides. I might be able to help. I have a USB as well as a BT adapter. I did that on both, though the circuits were different.

Rajan
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Here you go. I already flicked the resistor in the red box, So don't tell me that's not the one :D

OBD-11.jpg

OBD-22.jpg

Still didn't work. So i did a continuity from the transceiver (MCP2551 - Pin 6,7)) to the CAN high/low PINout's on the OBD II connector and realized that some retard did the connector soldering on my scanner.

I will probably have to check the rest of the connections too but before that i need to figure out where the rest of need to go. Looks like i will have to sweat it out to save my 1400 bucks. Now that i have done a open heart surgery, i can't even send it back for a replacement.