1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cruise Control for Fiat Punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Prasanna Godugu, Sep 21, 2011.

1. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Was going through the multiecuscan forum to find out about the dashboard (NQS) error. Found this thread. In page 4 and 5 of this thread one Mr. Dimitar_ak has activated the CC and he too could not get the LED in the dasboard lightup with the actuator in MES. Also, he also got the dashboard error during proxy alignment. From these posts what i understand is that he got dashboard error due to loose connection to pin 41 of body computer in his grande punto. Now my question is whether we need to have the wiring in place for CC before attempting proxy alignment procedure? Anyways that thread have given me hope and i am cooking something :devilface. Will post with update soon.
    2 people like this.
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    update: My jugaad CC stalk

The thing i was mentioning is about transforming this

DSCN2861.jpg

into a functional cruise control stalk with the noted functions like this

DSCN2860.jpg

The circuit diagram is below. Actually the diagram was made at the last after testing the connections.

DSCN2866.jpg

This is just a prototype. I need to connect the required resistances as marked and the actual wires.

This is what i did. I stripped all the components from the PCB of my sons remote control for R/C car like this

DSCN2874.jpg

Then i completed the circuit with necessary connections to the PCB like this

DSCN2875.jpg

The completed circuit is shown below. In order to test the functionality of my stalk i have used an LED from the "donor car" of my son (I used all the wires from this car).

DSCN2868.jpg

Now the functionality test.

1. Powering ON
    DSCN2869.jpg

2. Testing the RESUME switch. See that the LED in the car lights up
    DSCN2870.jpg

3. Testing the "+" function switch.
    DSCN2872.jpg

4. Testing the "-" function switch.
    DSCN2871.jpg

5. Powering OFF
    DSCN2873.jpg

The final outcome of my jugaad Cruise Control Stalk

DSCN2876.jpg

DSCN2877.jpg

This is just a prototype and i need to connect the required resistances and the wires. Whether it will work in actual is yet to be seen.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
    7 people like this.
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well, though i am sure that ecu and bcm of 90 HP punto resembles that of linea still Rajan has re-initiated the thought process of why i am doing things as a linea mjd owner would have done inspite of the fact that i dirve a punto. Any way i have to wait till the arrival of pins that i have requested Rajan to actually test dirve the car with the CC stalk. You, guys read it right. CC stalk, but its not the alfa 147 GT one but the same prototype which i have posted above.

I have completed the functional stalk only with the ON/OFF function and the '+' function because i will require only these two to test the function (as per bala.sk). Actually i have tried connecting pin 20 in connector B of the ECU to the pin 8 in connector F in the BCM and i did not get any message. Also, i tried to actuate the CC light in the dashboard by MES and no light comes on. Infact, i get a data out of range error in the Dashboard (NQS) node when i perform a proxy alignment. I have read in the European posts that the CC was funcitonal even though they did not get any message in the MID and also no light in the dashboard. In line with that now i am planning to test drive to see whether CC function is present in my car or not.

In the mean time i will try to gather facts that should support why i am following the linea's approch. Firstly i am targeting the ECU of both the punto (90 & 75 HP) and linea. Here are my findings.

1. Both punto 90 HP and 75 HP has a 60 pin connector B in the ECU while my 90 HP has a 94 pin connector B in the ECU, which matches with that of linea.
    2. Here are the pin outs of both the punto 90 HP and 75 HP from elearn and pin out diagram of my 90 HP

pin out diagram comparison.PNG

Actually after drawing the pin out diagram i noticed that the no of pins are different in the eleran and the actual for 90 HP. Anyways, now i would request somebody to just confirm whether there is any deviation from the elearn pin out and the actual in their cars, as is the case of mine. Since, Rajan, as you have already tried with a 75 HP, can u just recollect the no of pins that were present in the car you have tried.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Nice CC stalk, Will be a cool idea to intergrate it into the Dashboard when CC starts working instead of the actual stalk ;)
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Maybe the Puntos we get here in India are not the same as depicted in eLearn. Try connecting MES software as "Punto International" and see if you are able to access all modules, without any kind of adapters.

If anyone has a Petrol 1.4 Punto, I would like to have a look at the ECU and also check if the CC wiring is similar to the petrol Linea or would it be as described in eLearn / international communities. Any volunteers?

Rajan
  6. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thanks vj_v1. I think this can only be used for road test but can't match the original stalk.

Sure will do and post update, Rajan. Well one more thing, have you tried doing proxy alignment connecting as linea 1.3? When i did, in the adjustment tab i can see only the proxy alignment whereas, if I remember correctly, i saw the cruise control as the first option when i connected as Idea and the proxy alignment was at the last. This thing came to me only when i was typing the above post.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    To clarify - I only took a look at a Punto 75 HP and a Punto 90 HP engine bay and ECU connectors. We never tried to install or experiment anything on those cars. No question of Proxi-Alignment.

Rajan
  8. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    ^^ Haven't you tried proxy alignment in any linea mjd?
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes I have. If you connect as Linea 1.3 MJD, in Proxi-Alignment there will be only one entry. Same is true for the T-Jet as well. Try connecting to T-Jet in simulation mode and check for your self. Also, this connecting as some other model, enabling CC and doing proxi-alignment is all required only to enable the message on the MID. If the code is available in the ECU and is not disabled, it should work when connected and powered up.

Rajan
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Kiran Anna in action on his brand new yet to be registered Linea.

DSC04769.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
    2 people like this.