1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cruise Control for Fiat Punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Prasanna Godugu, Sep 21, 2011.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Remove the resistor marked in the red box. I just grabbed it with a pair of nose pliers and crushed it to powder and dusted it off. Did not have the necessary desoldering skills :). Just make sure there is no contact between the two points the resistor bridges now.

ELM.jpg

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Do i need to remove the one which i marked in red circle?

DSCN0756.jpg

I took reference from here

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks rajan that was nice timing :evilsmile
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Removed the resistance yesterday after reaching home from office. Though i am no expert on soldering, i thought of trying my hand and took the desoldering route rather than to use force. I am pretty happy with my work, i must say that luck favored me at that time.

elm327 after resistor removal.jpg

Now going to try "proxy alignment" procedure..........
    1 person likes this.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yahoooooooo. can connect to the CAN network. but no more success than able to connect to the CAN and do a proxy alignment. Connected to the car a Idea 1.4 8v and followed the procedure described by Rajan. The proxy alignment returned error on dashbord (NQS) saying "data out of range".

Called Rajan, the first real "connection" with a TFIan though i am virtually connected with all of you :-D. Surprised to see that he has actually saved my number and said "sathish" instead of "hello". That's very nice of you Rajan.

Now, i was again going through the MES website for taking a look into the adapter cable 3. The doubts:

1. The change in the pin out is between the connector in the car and the pins in the OBD scanner as show in the pic below. Do we need to change the connections between the pins and the PCB inside the OBD scanner?
    adapter 3.PNG

so what i can do is just have a cable with female end connected to the OBD scanner and a male end connected to the required pins in the female connector present in the car. I was talking about these wires

jumper wires.jpg

2. The adapter cable 3 is required only when body computer is delphi. So you were referring to the adapter cable 3 to connect to the instrument panel marelli, isn't it? As i have said earlier itself can't we consider 90 HP as good as linea and not Grande Punto w.r.t ECU and BCM?

So what i plan to do next is to connect +12 V to pin 20 in the ECU and see whether i get any message in the MID as i have already done the proxy alignment.
    3 people like this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    You did not have to look up the PM I sent you a few weeks back with my number to call me, did you? :)

Your understanding is correct. When you took the scanner apart, you might have noticed wires running from the PCB to the male pins of the connector. You will need to swap the connector end on these wires to connect to different pins.

I am not sure if we can consider the 90 HP as a 100% equivalent of the Linea 90 HP. There could still be subtle differences, that we might notice only when we connect to the car as Punto and not as Linea. I doubt if you will see a message on the MID, considering that we were not able to get the CC light to glow. A better experiment would be to swap the wires to emulate a Yellow adapter cable, connect to the car as Punto and see if we can get the LED to come on.

Good luck buddy and do feel free to call me at any time.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Nope i saved the number on that day itself when you PMed me:mrgreen:

That is what i am trying to say. We swap the wire connections on the pins from the board so that when we insert it connects itself to the correct pins on the port in the vehicle, right. On the contrary, if i keep the connections on the scanner intact and i make connection to the required pins in the port of the vehicle by external wires, as the adapter 3 cable does, still i should be able to connect. Basically, i am talking of making a jugaad sort of thing similar to the adapter 3 cable so that i have the original scanner back when i need to connect it to the ECU.
  7. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yesterday, i spent the whole day searching for a way to make some "jugaad" to connect to the BCM using MES without the adapter 3.This is to keep the cost as minimum as possible, b'coz that is the moto behind me trying to activate CC in my 90 HP punto (self realization :devilface). At the end of the day, i came to the conclusion that the only way to achieve my moto is to re-arrange the connections in the existing connector tool itself (thanks to rajan, for making me aware of this option).

Gave it a deep thought and finally came to the conclusion that i will go ahead with this plan. Anyways i am going to spend some money for either purchasing the adapter 3 cable or to buy some accessories to make some jugaad. so decided that i will give it a try and if something goes wrong i can buy another scanner tool:-D. Went ahead and rearranged the connections as shown below. I completed the work around 10:30 pm of course with some burns to the housing that holds the pins (i am not a pro, :D) Yet to test the connection.

elm327 pinout change for punto.PNG

from the MES site

adapter 3 pinout.PNG

I followed the famous dialogue from our tamil comedian vadivelu...RISKU ELLAM ENGALUKKU RUSKU SAPIDRA MADHIRI...........(TAKING RISK IS LIKE EATING RUSK FOR US..........):evilsmile
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  8. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Got some extra time today afternoon during lunch time. Decided to try my ELM327 to connect as grande punto 1.3 MJD but i could not connect to any CAN modules and since i have changed the pinout of the connector its neither connecting to the ECU.

Did a test for the interface and it showed the following output.

test interface 1.PNG

test interface 2.PNG

as can be seen that the output to the command ATBI resulted in an error. Need to see into it how to solve this. Rajan, hope you can get me out of this.

Till then, :anyone help smiley.jpg
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Found out what the error means!

Actually i am getting the error when the elm executes the AT BI command, which is actually the command for bypass the initialisation sequence. Read for the command description and the error description taken from the ELM datasheet

atbi command.PNG

can error.PNG
    1 person likes this.
  10. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I read somewhere that there might be some issues with the driver. so removed the driver and reinstalled it. Checked for any loose connections in the soldering and also checked that i have connected to the correct pins. Everything was in order and again tried connecting it to the car. But the result was the same. Had a chat with Rajan and he advised to change the connections back and now i am waiting for some other inputs.

Resoldered the connections to the original configuration and to make sure i have not screwed up the ELM327 connected it to the car and i am able to connect to both the ecu and the body computer. Tried connecting as both linea and idea and it connects. Did the proxy alignment for both the models and tried actuating the cruise control light and i get an error "data out of range". During proxi alignment also, when writing data to the dashboard node (NQS) it returned the same error. Should find out why is that happening.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    2 people like this.