1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cruise Control for Fiat Punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Prasanna Godugu, Sep 21, 2011.

1. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    vj_v1 - That drawing is for the T-Jet. Yes, it shows pin 8. Yes I have drawn power directly and Yes, it works. However, the same strategy is not working with the MJD. The only thing that has been done differently by the Polish guy is the Pin 8 connection and it works on his MJD.

The only guy in India to have got that message on the MID of the MJD is not sharing details. Three others have tried, with no luck. We can take a fresh look at the approach, assume that connecting to pin 8 will possibly clear this mystery and give that a shot. No harm in trying, right?

Rajan
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Absolutely no harm, just chewing the info that got into my head, nothing else.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @kedar: That's what exactly we are trying to find out.

@vj_v1: I know you are referring to my post but the confusion part is that i have not tried anything till now in my 90 HP punto.

Yesterday went for shopping to procure the wires. Went to the area were lots of garages are present and enquired about the automotive grade wires. Nobody seems to understand "automotive" and they all said that they don't have. :shocked Will try again today.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Rajan, i was going through the posts of this thread and your DIY thread and i did not understand the rationale about your above statement. If all that matters is the resistances then are each of the cars scan for different resistance for doing the same operation?
    1 person likes this.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Satish,

From my research, this is what I understand.

The Linea (T-Jet & Fire) measures resistance of 4 independent pins in the ECU and takes appropriate action for Cruise Control. The design and software being the same as used in the Alfa, the same stalk works in the Linea (T-Jet and FIRE)

As per details in the Polish website, there is an additional connection to pin 8 on the 18 pin black connector in the BCM for the MJD. I am assuming that the MJD's software also checks this pin.

However, for the Punto,the CC code resides in the BCM and signals are decoded based on the resistance values on the SAME WIRE.

Hope this makes sense.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  6. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    But as far as my punto 90 HP, everything is in line with the linea MJD so whatever works with linea MJD should work with my punto 90 HP too, right?. Yes, as per punto elearn, there are only two connections pins 41 and 34 in the connector D of the BCM with the stalk pins 8 and 10 which is entirely routed through the stalk.
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Yes. Whatever works in the Linea MJD, should work in your 90 HP, "whatever" being the million dollar question. Saugat just updated me that he tried connecting pin 8 of the BCM to pin 20 of the ECU, but no change. Here is what I would do, if I were you

1. Connect pin 8 of the BCM to pin 20 of the ECU
    2. Turn the key to "Mar"
    3. Connect to the car as Idea 1.4 8v
    4. Enable CC and perform a Proxi Alignment
    5. Turn off the car, wait 10 seconds, turn back to "MAR" and hope everything works

Good luck

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  8. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    :D whatever is with respect to cruise control only. I should have read your post, Rajan, before spending half-an-hour today afternoon. Anyway, update. Checked the pin 8 in connector F, pins 25, 24 in connector A of the BCM. Good news is that pins 25, 24 are already wired. So we can safely assume that LED should be present in the instrument cluster. But pin 8 of connector F is blank.

Method i followed for checking:

1. Disconnected the -ve terminal of the battery.
    2. Disconnected all the connection in the front of the CPL
    3. Dismantled the CPL & BCM.
    4. Disconnected the connections at the back of the BCM.
    5. Counted for the pins 24 & 25 and inserted a sewing needle. To confirm i inserted the needle to pin no 20 and the needle came out at the back of the connector. So ensured myself that pins 24 & 25 are wired.
    6. Then checked for the wire in the 18 pin connector F and it can be clearly seen that the pin 8 does not have any wire.

@ Saugat, please post an elaborate method of your attempt. So, I think it should be waste of time to check the connection of pin 8 of connector F to the pin 20 of the ECU without OBD II scanner tool, to get the Cruise control on message in MFD.

Will soon order the Scanner tool along with other requirements.
    1 person likes this.
  9. saugatchandra

saugatchandra Novizio

Navi Mumbai
    Hi Sathish,
    Sorry dint get any pictures of what i did this morning.
    I shall try to explain in words.
    1. When you look at the 18 pin connector pin, you will notice 2 rows of sockets, one Black (1 ~ 9) the other Blue (10~ 18).
    2. for Pin no.8 we would be interested in the black row of socket, if you look carefully you will find that it is held by a latch. if you release the latch with your finger the black row of socket will slide out.
    3. Pin no.8 obviously is empty, and there is nothing on 7, so all i did is inserted a stripped wire ( about 5 cms stripped of insulation) into 8 and got it out again from 7 and secured it, so that wire does not slip out. i had to do this jugaard as i dint have a suitable connector.
    4. Slide the black socket back into its original slot and its gets locked by the latch.
    5. Connected everything back and could confirm that the connection was working as i could read a voltage of 12.5 V between this wire and the car body.
    6. Next i did all the steps as mentioned in the previous posts, including enabling CC again and doing a proxy alignment.
    7. next disconnected the battery again and made a temporary connection to the pin 20 of the ecu.
    8. Gave +12 v from this no.8 of the BCM to pin 20 of the ECU, but there was still no message on the MID.
    9. Planning to get back to reading again to look for some ideas.

Cheers,
    saugat.
    2 people like this.
  10. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad
    Have you had an opportunity to check PIN 24, 25 on the BCM as discussed here.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013