1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cruise Control for Fiat Punto

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Prasanna Godugu, Sep 21, 2011.

1. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yesterday evening went out to look into the connections to the body computer below the steering wheel fuse compartment. Took some photos too which i will upload later but i think it wont be of any use to you guys as you are all very advanced in electricals than me. first i removed the leftmost side connector which was in blue color, i suppose and then reconnected it. Then i turned the key to MAR to check whether everything is ok. Then i took the rightmost side connector which was some light purple color. Then to see what is that connector for i turned the MAR key and after a second the ABS unavailable and the EBD failure warning came. So turned the key to off position and the placed the connector again. Turned the key to MAR the earlier messages were there. Thought i will rest by disconnecting the battery. so disconnected the negative terminal of the battery and re connected it again after some time. checked for the errors but its still present.

But when today morning while coming to office, when i tried to put on the AC, it does not start. No life in the AC switches. Don't know what the issue is trying to find out more about the possible causes. If anybody here can help, thanks in advance. Also looking for buying the OBD scanner and saw this in ebay. I am looking for a basic thing so i am not interested in costly products. Pls advice. Downladed multiecuscan yesterday.

Regarding the AC i am doubtful of the fuse will check and post the details later.
  2. Fayad

Fayad Amatore

Tvm
    Have you checked all the fuses?
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    In the afternoon when i went home for lunch, i set out to see where i did mistakes because there was no issue prior to me trying to "learn" the connections in BCM. Opened the bonnet for checking the fuses of conditioner compressor (F19) and climat control fan (F08). Checked the fuse and found it to be fine. Then suddenly i noticed that the negative connection to the battery was loose :chair:disconnected the negative terminal and opened the fuse box in the bonnet. There to i found the connector marked to be loose :hit.

DSCN2767.jpg
    Disconnected it and secured it properly. Took some photos for the wire under the steering column. reconnected the negative to the battery tightly turned the ignition key to MAR and there was no error display in the MID. Cranked the engine and switched on the AC and it worked fine :up.

So, the outcomes of the "learning":
    1. You won't learn until you make mistakes
    2. Don't work in the night
    3. Loose battery connections will make the AC inoperable.

Coming to the cruise control project.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    4 people like this.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    coming to the CC project:

with reference to what vj_v1 said here, I analysed the circuit diagram posted by rajan and found that the body computer, in our punto, is not the same as represented in the diagram. So, searched in google for body computer and got two different images. So for comparison, see the below picutre:

GP CC.JPG

Also, i took photos of the steering column switch from which i can see two set of cables going out of the steering column as marked below:

DSCN2777.jpg

DSCN2780.jpg

In the second photo we can see both the cables, the one which is wrapped with black insulation goes into the central console of the dashboard. My guess is that i can be the steering mounted controls and the wire wrapped with insulation tape goes into the bonnet area but could not identify the area where it comes out inside the bonnet.

Therefore, we need to search for the circuit diagram as per the body computer which is installed in our punto or the pin out of the ECU.

Hope i am not making the concept more murky...........
    2 people like this.
  5. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Today opened the ECU connection and marked the wiring pin out in my 90 HP. On comparison with saugat's pinout it is not entirely matching. Will double check my pin out once again and confirm.

ecu pin out.PNG

Also when comparing the BCM of punto and linea from elearn i see atleast for 90 HP the BCM representation matches with that of linea but the punto BCM representation is different.

Here is a snap shot of the BCM representation taken from both punto elearn and linea elearn for 1.3 MJD

BCM of punto elearn
    bcm 75 hp.jpg

BCM of linea elearn
    bcm linea.jpg
    4 people like this.
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Good to see someone making seriously good progress with this functionality in the Punto. Awesome work.

Questions for you:

1. Forget what is shown on eLearn. Can you post a picture of your BCM and Fuse Box?
    2. Is there a 60 pin connector?

If there is, then you might try connecting pins 8 on the steering wheel connector to Pin 41 on the 60 Pin BCM connector and see if you are able to detect it by connecting with OBD II port. If that works, then you will need a stalk - The Alfa stalk I have used will not work - designed for the Punto. I believe someone posted a picture and link in the first page.

Yours might become the first Punto with CC in India. All the best.

Rajan
  7. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Reply to the question in bold:
    1. See post no 163.
    2. No 60 pin connector in the front side and tried to feel it on the back side but could not feel anything so big. I think there is the CAN cable at the back side.

Yet to order the ELM327.
  8. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    I believe the 60 pin connector is in the back. Please see this thread for details.

Rajan
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Rajan, today afternoon disconnected the BCM from the car and took a look at the back side. There were three sockets at the back side, one is of 20 pins, another is of 18 pins and the third is of 38 pins. Since, there was power outage here i could not post pictures. Will try to post it in the evening, if possible.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  10. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Here are the pictures of the BCM of the dashboard

Both the Body computer and the fuse separate
    bcm and fuse.jpg

The entire unit
    bcm front view.jpg

front view of the detached body computer
    bcm front.jpg

Rear view of the body computer
    bcm rear view.jpg

As said earlier, there are three connectors at the rear of the body computer, 20 pins, 18 pins and 36 pins.
    5 people like this.