1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cracks on Rear Axle

Discussion in 'Technical' started by pnranjith, Jun 4, 2014.

1. pnranjith

pnranjith

Bangalore
    Hi All,
    Recently I noticed crack on the rear axle near to both tyre. Lower part is having a long crack. SA in KHT advised me to change the axle which cost 22K.
    My car is 2011 Feb Model. I heard that FIAT was replacing rear axle earlier for some vehicle. Any idea if is this still there? Also, please let me know if a local welding can fix this?

Regards
    Ranjith
    Punto MJD 1.3 Emotion Pack.
    75000 Km.
  2. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    something similar was told to me by the guy who was doing my wheel alignment/ rotation.. did not pay much attention at that time.. now got me worried...

- - - Merged Post - - -

mine was specific to the LH side
  3. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Yes, Fiat did recall few Puntos from the 2011 batch for rear axle replacement.

My 90HP is a 2011 manufactured one and I made it a point to get the axle changed before delivery.

Drop an email to Fiat and see if they ar3 courteous enough to provide goodwill.
  4. pnranjith

pnranjith

Bangalore
    Thanks. Do you have their email. Is there any specific person I need to include in the mail? Anyway, I am taking it to service center today.

Here are the pics how it looks like.

left.jpg

right.jpg
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  5. Gosh! Not at all safe to drive IMHO, please get this changed immediately
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Any particular reason which could have caused the axle to crack? One crack seems to be quite a big one. Hope Fiat provides the free axle replacement or else the repairs can be claimed under insurance.
  7. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The cracks looks very bad. The cracks can be caused by faulty parts from factory, which is why I believe that there was a recall.

The cracks could also be caused by some high impact on the highway by car hitting a crater on the road.

Whatever it is, it is unsafe to drive with this.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Isn't your car under extended warranty? If yes, it is covered till Feb 2015 at least (2+2 years). Check the warranty booklet and see if the part is covered.
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Why extended warranty in the first place ?. This defect is not normal and maybe they missed this cars chassis no in the recall. Must be from the same vendor and you should fight it out at all levels for free replacement. One hardly hears of axle replacement in normal maintenance unless it is accident impacted. This looks more like stress fracture.

If it is a stone hit, then the direction of the deformity should be from front to back and ruptured it backwards and not show up on the other side too. The stone should have hit the component that appears below the axle first. IMO it is a clear case of manufacturing defect. Fight it out.

Abdul
  10. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You are right. I mentioned EW because he already has a quote of 22k for replacement. Since this is from the batch recalled for replacement, he needs to raise it strongly.