1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cracked Gear Box

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by amit2301, Jul 26, 2014.

1. amit2301

amit2301 Novizio

KOLKATA
    Kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.2
    May say it's my misfortune!:mad:
    The base of my Palio 1.3 MJD took a hit from a big stone a couple of months ago and the base (lhs) of the case of the gearbox has cracked a little. The mechanic has applied MSEAL and is working fine as of now. But I fear that sometime soon, it will/should fail. For this reason, I'm simply commuting within city limits.
    Please suggest a remedy - if it can be welded or should be replaced as a whole.

regards
    Amit
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Again no pics, no clarity for readers. That means less help
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Claim it in insurance. Only outer casing costs around 10k and new gearbox costs around 40k for Linea/Punto MJD price could be lower or higher for stile MJD.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. amit2301

amit2301 Novizio

KOLKATA
    Kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.2
    IMG_20140729_110733.jpg IMG_20140729_110758.jpg
    The patched portion is encircled in red.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Someone had posted that in Delhi, I don't exactly remember the place, that FIAT originals were sold at low prices. If someone could name the shop and location, I can get them the next I visit
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Don't buy these important spares from outside, as Vijay mentioned, use your insurance and get it replaced from service center.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes as mentioned above First Insurance, then Used Part in case of Insurance issue, third and last option is welding. It's the housing which needs welding and should be possible to seal any leaks. Do update information later.

- - - Merged Post - - -

gearbox_cover_palio_stile_mjd.jpg
  7. amit2301

amit2301 Novizio

KOLKATA
    Kolkata
    Grande Punto 1.2
    The service centre is interested in getting the entire gear box replaced. this means another month in the workshop. Whatever is left of the car will be ruined by them. I would definitely go in for originals but that'll take some time as 99rpm has hiked prices.
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Looking at the pics i dont think its a big problem. Its just a casing and there is no stress on that part. I hope there is no leaking oil.
  9. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    If it can be welded, then shouldn't a good weld (probably with a patch plate) would suffice? Why is the FASS advising for replacement?

Its a casting. I doubt the patch plate idea.