1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Couldn't engage gears.. Please help

Discussion in 'Technical' started by thinkagain, Sep 17, 2014.

1. thinkagain

thinkagain Timido

Srinagar
    Hi. My Punto 1.3 D developed a problem while engaging gears.
    I'm from Srinagar and due to recent floods here, my car was inside the flood water for 3-4 days. The water reached to the level below the air intake. The water couldn't have gone inside the air intake (So you can get the picture how much the water level could have been for the car). I had disconnected the battery before the flood came.

After the flood receded, i connected the battery and started the engine. It started normally. I revved hard and made the water come out of the silencer. I engaged reverse gear and reversed the car so to keep it under the sun for a day.

Next day i started the car and tried to engage the gear and to my surprise the gears didn't engage at all. Shut off the engine and i could engage the gears but while engine running i couldn't.

Then while the engine off i engaged first gear and started the engine. And after that I could engage all gears with the engine running.

The gear engaging process is very smooth while the engine off but it's a bit hard while the engine is running.
    I am a bit worried that there is something wrong with the clutch/slave/master cylinder or something else.

1.Could you please tell me what could be wrong with the car?
    2. Is it safe to drive the car like this?
    3. Is this a major problem?

There is no Fiat service center in Srinagar. Where should I take the car now?

Also how can i remove the water from inside the car? The thick foam under the carpet has soaked all the water and don't seem to clear it off. Worried about the risk of infection because of the dirty water. help me with it also.

Regards.
    Thank you
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For water cleaning, you can use some local garage, or keep car open in Sun light, see if this helps. Once it is completely dry, get it vacuum cleaned once .

Good that you disconnected battery, I am hoping electrical items are fine.
    On gear issue, since car is running, even with some hardness, shouldn't be a big issue, however better to get it checked, as soon you can.

How far is your nearest service center?
  3. thinkagain

thinkagain Timido

Srinagar
    @Ravi Service station is odd 300 kms and its all hilly area to cross. (It's in Jammu). No service center in Srinagar
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @thinkagain, you have guessed it right. It is possible there might be some problem with clutch bearing also. If car has not run much that could be a problem. Opening it and checking master and slave cylinder could solve problem. Master/Slave cylinder/s might have developed issue also.

Anyways opening, cleaning things inside and refitting will be good idea either ways if a good mech. can help you with it.
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Good to see you and your car are safe.

Regarding the gear issue there is some probability that the flood water has deposited some debris/mud on the clutch linkage/actuator or some other part and hence causing it to act funny. Get the car and the engine bay thoroughly washed to remove the flood deposits. And then proceed from there. Doesnt seem to be a major issue.

Cheers.
    Murphy_Fiat and Ravi like this.
  6. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Debris might not be the issue here as the gears are shifting normally with the engine turned off. I suspect dry joints.
    Pop the hood and lubricate the joints found between the between battery and air filter box. These joints are towards the bottom of the car. Ask someone to operate the clutch and shift gears from within the car ( since you'll be outside peering into the engine bay, you'll know which linkages I'm talking about. ) while you spray generous amounts of WD40 or any other lubricant.
    Try this and see if it helps.
  7. thinkagain

thinkagain Timido

Srinagar
    I took the car to TATA service station but they refused to service the car. Went to local mechanic, he also said a big NO to service when i told him that the car is FIAT.

Now a new problem occurred with the car. I drove it as it was, the gear shifts were still a bit hard to engage. Was in a traffic jam for about couple of hours (distance covered would be roughly 10 kms). Then on a clear stretch of the highway, the WARNING LIGHT flashed (one with exclamation mark - Triangle) and the MID showed "Fuel Cut-Off switch See Handbook".
    This warning flashed and went off over and over again, with the doors getting unlocked every time. But the car didn't stop running. I checked the Fuel Cut Off switch but i think it didn't trip as i couldn't press it.
    I checked for fuel leakage but there was none. I have more than half of fuel tank filled up.

To add to this misery, there is nobody to help me with the car in Srinagar.

Please tell me what could this problem be? How do I correct it? Whom should i talk to regarding FIAT service?
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 20, 2014, Original Post Date: Sep 20, 2014 ---
    Anyone please?
  8. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Man.. this is a tough one... I believe that water has done huge damage to your cars Electronics along with the gearbox... I suggest that you call a flat bed...load your car and drive it to nearest Service Station you can find.

And I can see that there is a FIAT Service Center around Srinagar area:

Fairdeal Motors And Workshop
    Srinagar-Barmulla Bye Pass Road, Parimpora
    Srinagar, Jammu & Kashmir
    Landline: 0194 - 2497079
    Fax: 0194 - 2497079
    Email: fdmjk@yahoo.com

Or else you can take it to Jammu:
    National FIAT
    Greater Kailash,
    Near NH Bye Pass,
    Fuwara Chowk,
    Jammu - 180 010

Phone No : 9796274854
  9. Aamir

Aamir Timido

Srinagar
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @thinkagain I'm also planning to buy Punto, how's the service scenario in Srinagar at present? Hope your issue got resolved. Warsi motors in Nowgam is handling Fiat services these days. You must be having a better idea. Help me out too :D
  10. thinkagain

thinkagain Timido

Srinagar
    I'll be glad to help you out Aamir. Yes Warsi motors service FIAT cars currently. Had a talk with FIAT Customer care and they said FIAT will open a service centre in Srinagar this year (not sure though)