1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Corrosion / Rust around side view mirror mount point - Grande Punto 1.4 EmotionPk

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by lakshman06, Aug 7, 2012.

1. lakshman06

lakshman06 Timido

Chennai
    Have a 2009 GP EPk 1.4. There is visible bubbling of the paint and beginnings of rust forming around the passenger side side view mirror. Have taken it up with FIAT but am told the warranty was only 2 years. I have a 2 year extended warranty but this is not covered apparently. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to tackle this? I was told by another member that there is a scanned copy of a warranty page uploaded on this forum that says 5 year warranty on the paint job. Can anyone help me find it? I've attached some pics of the trouble spots. Thanks in advance. Any help will be appreciated.

Rust 1.jpg

Rust 2.jpg

Rust 3.jpg
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  3. lakshman06

lakshman06 Timido

Chennai
    @Ravi,

Thanks. Have already taken it up with TASC, Mangesh Kodalkar (FIAPL) and sent emails out to everyone and anyone I could think of. Saw that other post earlier. Was trying to find the scanned page that supposedly mentioned the 5 year warranty. Was told that it's somewhere on this site. Was wondering if anyone else came across the same.
  4. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Hey Lakshman - Nice to see you hear, So I'm one of the guys who refereed you here. The source for my information was this post and this

I would recommend looking into owners manual again to re-check this stuff and follow-up with Mangesh.
  5. lakshman06

lakshman06 Timido

Chennai
    @ravi,
    Nope... nothing on the car has been repainted ever. Its about as stock a car as you can find. Won't do anything till the extended warranty expires really. That's the only fallback at the moment.

@teky,
    Thanks teky. Useful signing up here. Thanks again.

FIAT are repainting the door and fixing the issue as a goodwill gesture even though it's outside their warranty (supposedly)...but it still shouldn't rust so soon IMO. Quick response from them though thanks to the emails I sent out to the right people. Thanks to you.

Have seen the posts you sent the link to actually. Didn't check the booklet for the "cosmetic warranty" and "anti-perforation warranty" ... will check on that today and revert...if it is indeed there then it is within warranty and all this "doing it out of goodwill" is rubbish. Will have to read the booklet once again. Thanks for the link.
  6. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    When I bought my Jet, I enquired about this 5 year warranty. SA replied that it is only 2 years and showed me the same in the warranty/manual
  7. lakshman06

lakshman06 Timido

Chennai
    Update on the situation for all interested.

The bubbling seen on the door is only the last stage. Hear from the body shop manager that the metal has corroded inside out and there's barely any metal left inside the mount and tinkering is not possible.

Replacement of door is on the cards and approval has been given from FIAT for the same. Thanks to Mr.Jacob of Fiat Chennai for the quick response and approval.

The next issue was whether the body seam sealant will be done on the seams of the door. Standard operation procedures of the body shops is to skip this step. Without the body joint seam filler its quite pointless to repaint the door as it'll rust within a month at the seams and joints where primer & paint penetration is poor.. Have been assured that all such work will be done on the replacement door to maintain the corrosion integrity of the panel. Waiting for a new door panel to be found now. Lets hope it fits fine and the shut lines maintained. Will probably go check on the panel once the sealant work is completed.

Next painful job is to remount the component speakers and get everything back as close to original as possible. I hope they don't screw up the rubbers on the door.

Lets hope they do it well...fingers crossed. Seen the work done by the body shop manager Mr.Gurumurthy at concorde ECR. His repainting work is excellent and difficult to fault. Hoping the prep work (sealant / epoxy primer etc) is done well and they don't miss a spot. Also hoping they don't seal the drain holes at the bottom shut while doing the sealant. Else door will be like a water tank and my components will be under water.. lol