1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cornering in high speeds

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Roadking

Roadking Amatore

Bangalore KA
    Important question- When you say cornering, what is the degree of the turn that you are looking at?

Cornering at 50-70 degree turns can be achieved at high speeds with good performance tyres (between 130 and 140), the same can be achieved with commuter tyres but on a lower high speed (read below 120) but not advisable for turns below 50 degrees especially on commuters.. the width of the tyre plays a major role in this..
  2. the_crusader

the_crusader Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.4
    I agree. I had same feeling many times. There were few times where I needed to corner forcefully in triple digit speeds and my Linea never made me lose confidence.
    1 person likes this.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    There are multiple factors involved - banking on the road, tarmac condition, traffic condition - just to name a few. I do not believe that tyres alone should be the deciding factor here. That said, IMHO, if you enter the curve at a good speed and during the cornering manoeuvre if your brake lights come on even for a few milliseconds, you should not be doing it at all :D

Rajan
    2 people like this.
  4. Rajan,
    What you said makes sense.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Totally agree.

I believe tyres do play some role in this. I have been using Apollo Acelere's all these time and briefly used ZLO for about a month or so. Cornering at triple digit speed with ZLO was little scary comparing with Acelere's.
    2 people like this.
  6. Gokulk

Gokulk Novizio

CHENNAI
    Ya very much true....Tyres are very much a deciding factor of Ride & handling,braking,Rolling resistance of a vehicle during the R&D stage itself
  7. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    I love to do cornering in my Punto.did cornering at triple digit speeds but rear wheel didnt lift once at all.But i wud love to drive once a 4WD or RWD car in which cornering is more fun than FWD cars.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Though the car does good cornering at speeds,the thing matters is the comfort ness inside the cabin.
    Cornering at high speeds should be a complete package.Body built,the car design,inside cabin dashboard placemenent, seating position,steeringposition with its feedback.
  9. linealover

linealover Regolare

Madras
    i usually lift off the throttle before corner,while at corner press the throttle more to accelerate,as differential splits more torque to outer wheel than inner wheel, we will be exactly inline with curve.if velocity is less than 120,down shift and accelerate as a mad man.

that is were linea shines and verna back off.its really enjoyable.

if i break or no acceleration input at curve.its going to be a real mess.

once i messed yet linea blessed me. mistake dismissed with measuring the road along its breadth.

i couldn't match up with verna's acceleration.got a curve at melmaruvathur.well passed the verna at 160.after the curve,noticed a bunch of devotees leisurely crossing the road.either have break at curve or give the devotees moksha.its a spit second braked instinctively(reflex).whatever may be braking distance i am sure i will hit them.but the way linea got zig zagged with tyres squealing,my heart beat risen to peak and my ears were red hot.

devotees scattered,bombarded postponed their moksha.

got i a gap and passed.its a real time experience,to pacify the shock again accelerated to glory.business as usual.

reached delhi dhabba fiat meet.

GOT CURVE? GOT LINEA?

linea has got curves like a beautiful girl and linea loves curve,And i love linea.
    7 people like this.
  10. sabrina850

sabrina850 Timido

Pakistan
    On a high speed turn you should move your but towards the inside of the turn. This has many benifits such a decreasing the leaning angle of the bike and lessoning the chances of footpegs scraping the ground. But, if you are to lose control you will have a low side crash intead of a high side crash. But, as a general rule you should only attempt high speed turns on a closed track. Most of the streets are dirty and you have no control over where sand or debris might be.