1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Cornering in high speeds

Discussion in 'Safety First!' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Oct 18, 2013.

1. I keep seeing posts in the forum about somebody want to do high speed cornering so they need XXX brand tires.
    Question that comes up in my mind is what is safe speed Linea/Punto can do while cornering?

With 185 MM GC, doing cornering at too high speeds can be dangerous, please pour in your thoughts.
    For example, Scorpio would topple if tried in corners at speed of 80 kmph.
  2. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

You can safely corner till you lift one of the rear wheels. Anything above that might lead to trouble. We can't really put a number to this, it's all intuition and judgment. :)
    2 people like this.
  3. Hmm, I had this lift once even at speed of 60 kmph but other times even at 130 kmph no lift.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    In a single sentence , There is nothing called safe speed.
    Coming back to the question at hand. I would say it depends on a lot of things apart from tyres ,like suspension setup, COG, chassis setup and many more.
    Just to recall . on my way back from RJ and on the bombay-pune expressway I actually did a drift in a FWD car and i could feel the tail going out but i was still in control . So it really comes down to all aspects of the car holding up than just tyres.
  5. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    does cornering here imply full steering turn or otherwise too
  6. Not full steering turn, just as much turn required to go through the curves.
  7. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    that would pretty much depend on angle of curve and speed of car more than anything else. can't really make a generalized statement :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    Here is my experience from my 2 cars,

GP : 2009, cornering at speed of 120kmph possible, I did a Jaipur to Goa via Ahmedabad , Mumbai and Pune, Ratnagiri etc
    lot of curves and didn't face any challenge

Linea 2012 : 110 kmph, mysore to Bangalore via kanakapura, the car behaved as though it's slipping off the road (no rains nor the road was wet), so done mentioned it's known as fish tailing !! My confidence in Linea around corners is not that great as my earlier GP. this could be GP had low ground clearance as compared Linea, suspension in GP is firm and will wheel base play any role ? I believe it would !

otherwise, I am a sedate driver do not exceed 90kmph - drive safe !!
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    I always do 60-80 speed cornering at nice entry (after toll) from bannerghetta road. Dont feel any lifting of tires or loosing control or any thing. I guess Punto is stable till 90.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    While driving at triple-digit speed, I don't reduce it while cornering in my 165 mm GC Linea. My Linea will be stable and planted while cornering at the triple-digit speeds. :)
    4 people like this.