1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Coolant Tank Leaking

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Ankit Gandhi, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Ankit Gandhi

Ankit Gandhi Amatore

Hi Team,

i observed an issue today where my coolank tank was leaking and it was completly empty and all the coolant got drained out which i could see it on the floor . I filled up the tank with water and after few hours checked it again and i saw that the water level was going down. when i look down i could c water leaking slowly slowly . kindly suggest what could be the problem .
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Ankit Gandhi you already know the problem, there could be some leakage in coolant tank. Get it checked as soon as you can.
  3. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Better tow the vehicle to the nearest FASS. Do not drive without the coolant and risk engine over heating and seizing
  4. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I guess you should open the bonnet and inspect right away. I faced a similar issue recently. The coolant tank pipe had come off, leading to total leakage. Thankfully, I was home and was in my parking area. I called the Fiat workshop (KHT Fiat, Whitefield, Bangalore) the next day and they agreed to tow the vehicle. Since I knew the service guy, I sent him the following pics (below). I wanted to know if it could be fixed without taking my car to the workshop.

upload_2014-11-12_18-47-11.png upload_2014-11-12_18-48-21.png

The tow guy then came with a replacement tank and fixed it on the spot. As you can see, the tank nozzle had broken. My car's just 1 year old and I was disappointed this happened. But the KHT guys came and took care of it without much fuss. So kudos to them!
    abk1980 likes this.
  5. rahulvfx

rahulvfx Amatore

Bangalore
    Is it happening for everyone ? Few months (1 or 2) back, same thing happen to me as well. They did changed the same clamps as shown in the pic. They were supposed to change some other clamps, which at that time was not in stock, but after that I didn't got call back from them. Today I'm thinking to reach them again as the collant has gone down again. With a new problem showed up from past few days, at sudden time the steering is freezing. I was just escaped from an accident just because of this, on a narrow road I had to take right as the road was diverting. Suddenly the steering become hard rock, luckyly I was at low speed, pushed the break as I was about to hit a wallo_O. Now doing many driving test at different speed, I figured out that as the RPM goes below 10k the steering tends to get hard. Only if I keep the RPM above 25k it as usual:nailbiting:.
  6. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Guys, these are real serious issues. Please check if you all fall under a same manufacturing lot. If that is the case, this can be escalated to FIAT to check if there is any problem with a particular production line so that these lots of cars can get the fix for free or a nominal fee. Ideally, the fix should be for free if the failure is found in a production lot.
  7. sageeshr

sageeshr Amatore

Bangalore
    Sarjapur Road
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Oh! Me too had this problem couple of months ago when my car was only 5 months old. I had noticed a behaviour that coolant fan was unusually running.It made me to look at coolant tank and find it as empty.Based on advice from KHT Fiat Bangalore,taken it to nearest service centre(Vecto Motors Bangalore) and got it fixed.
  8. rahulvfx

rahulvfx Amatore

Bangalore
    Guys, I think the situation is totally crazy. As I shared earlier about my situation, so last Saturday I went to FIAT Service Station, they told me change the total coolant hose pipe. As per the requirement I have given my car for the whole day, also to examine the steering issue. End of the day I got my vehicle back, coolant hose pipe totally new with coolant tank filled up and also told steering doesn't have any issue. Yesterday after returning from office I opened the engine compartment for dusting. Guess what, I saw the total coolant tank is again empty, whereas I hardly drove 10 km in the weekend... I seriously feel I wasted my time on Saturday and I have to again go to the service center bunking my office...