1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Coolant dropping

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by harry2, May 17, 2013.

1. harry2

harry2 Timido

trivandrum
    My Linea 2011 Emo Pak is having issue with coolant levels. My car has done 30K now. the coolant level drops to min level with in a few weeks. Does anyone have this issue in Linea or Punto. if anyone knows about a resolution pls let me know. TASS does not have any idea why it is happening. I have checked for leakage and i have not found any.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  3. Hi Harry,

Can you tell me if there is any coolant traces when the cars parked overnight?Assuming Fiat uses the Fluorescent green coolant it should be visible.Also the best time to check for pressure leaks is when the car has reached 80 deg and then open the hood with the engine running and check for leaks(DO NOT OPEN THE RADIATOR CAP),No..ok next step switch off the engine and check again as pressure builds up when engine is switched off and coolant loads back to the surge container.If all these are happening there is pressure but you should be able to spot a leak somewhere possible areas Rad cap,hoses,joints,elbows.If these dont throw anything you might have a minute leak in the Rad core or even near the hoses.This will show up only in pressure leak test (you can check with Fiat service if they do a pressure test).if this is negative then let me know if you have overheating problems,ever ran the car hot> 100 deg or near Red,mis firings,or if the exhaust smells funny or is more white than usual.

Sometimes these leaks are hard to find.Believe me ...

Let me know.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Like Ravi puts it please ask your query in an already running query.
    There are many advantages by doing so.

You will invariably go through all the posts (I hope) and chances are you might get the exact answer you are looking for without even raising an eyebrow.
    If not folks who have already followed that thread might not feel the need to repost the same thing again and you might miss out on your response.

Please use the link provided as much as possible.
    Thanks
    1 person likes this.
  5. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I was facing this issue from day 1 and the culprit was radiator.

The coolent leakage was from radiator and it was changed under warrenty in last month.
  6. i recently had a similar problem in my linea...The coolant leak was near the outlet from the radiator... due to hose damage...got it changed yesterday.. yet to observe the maintenance quality ....
  7. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    If all joints are leakproof then only one cause of coolent loss
    is leaky EGR cooler.
  8. george

george Timido

kerala
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    hi friends,
    i got a fiat punto evo 90hp after 3 months my faulty oil pump was replaced because it was showing engine oil pressure low message.and after that i seen the engine coolant level was like "low". I took the car to the service centre they top up the coolant to max level and said it was without knowledge they left after the oil pump case. And after that my car hardy run 70 km now i checked the coolant level after running the coolant level goes to max but in cool condition the coolant level drop between max and min level. is it natural or does it have any problem.
  9. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It is hard to find the leakage when the leakage is a minor leakage. You will not see the coolant dripping anywhere. But the level keeps going down slowly. My car had such a leakage. I found it when I ran my finger on all the joints. In one of the joints it was slightly wet with red liquid. I also saw the red color deposited around that leaking joint. It used to dry up before the coolant started dripping. Therefore I did not see the coolant drops anywhere.

Coolant level between min and max in cold condition is correct. It goes up slightly (may be even slightly above max level) when hot because of heat expansion of the coolant. That is normal.
  10. george

george Timido

kerala
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    thank you ravi hedge for your response.. :D