1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Coolant boiling

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by PralhadBurli, Jul 28, 2011.

1. PralhadBurli

PralhadBurli

My car is less than 7 months old and I am facing a problem with engine overheating due to coolant boiling.
    It seems that there is a problem in the head gasket.
    Has anyone experienced this kind of an issue before?
  2. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Welcome to TFI and congrats on your 1.4 pure power!

Just learned from your profile that you have Punto 1.4 Emotion.
    I never had such an issue in my Punto 1.4. Is it due to insufficient or over diluted coolant? because people at TASS sometimes add undiluted coolant first and then tell us to keep adding water when the coolant level goes down. Is this something like that?
  3. PralhadBurli

PralhadBurli

Not quite. I had jsut topped up the collant, but apparently there was a leak in the coolant hose (not detected by the service guys) from a previous accident.
    As a result the coolant had drained.

Not sure what the redressal mechanism is. The car has been at the servicers for over 5 days now.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    there are various reasons for this.

1. Ensure radiator is not blocked anywhere and fans work perfectly.
    2. Ensure the thermostat valve is working perfectly.
    3. the very remote and last thing is that there is a head gasket failure.

but in any case please dont drive your car with overheating issue. its a death trap for the engine.
    overheating causes head warpage.
  5. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Coolent boiling

@ Pralhad

Your problem is faulty Thromostat Valve.

Working of Thermostat is as follows

At cold start coolent temp.is low. At that time thermostat valve is closed.
    When this valve is closed coolent doesn't move/run through the outer body of engine block.
    This proceudre is used to rise the engine temp.quickly.

When engine reaches to its operating temperature, thermostat valve opens & coolent starts to run/move through the entire cooling system.

Your thermostat valve is remaining closed even engine is going to its operating temp.

Becauase of stucked thermostat valve,engine coolent is not moving/runnning
    through the outer channel of engine block.

If coolent is blocked on its place (Not moved from block to radiator) coolent can't be keep cool with the help of radiator. Then coolent starts to boil. So check the Thermostat Valve. & update the same.
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  6. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Coolant should be added with 50% approx (Paraful) water to make it effective.It is water which leads to cooling with coolant.When i went to change my coolant in TASS they also emptied 4 litres concentrated and later added water (drinking water) although its mentioned to mix deminearalised water but expert/TASS says its ok to use clean water and one should not use bore well water and it contain more salt etc .so i must have added 3.5 liters of water since then so proportion almost 50-50.I ur case the coolant must have been added concentrated or other issues concerning the radiator / thermostat as stated by Bhai.
  7. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    4 litres of fluid into cooling system????
    1 litre should be sufficient.
    0.5litre paraflu and 0.5litre water.
  8. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Bangalore/Kasargod
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think it needs 2 litre if you drain the coolant completely. You will have to add a little more (around half a litre) after all the air bubles go off from the system.
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    I flushed the old coolant fully out of the system.After flushing the coolant out the TASS poured water and made the engine start for some time and then flushed the water out.However little water or mixture still remains in the radiator.To completely empty the radiator u have to remove it and flush it.Coolant capacity of linea MJD is 7.5 litres.So they added straight 4 litrs coolant (procedure followed in all TASS) made the engine run and then added water (I took Bisleri bottles with me) once the level went down.So total I must have added 2.5-3.5 litrs of water as little water always remain the radiator.
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It may be also due to any mistake about ratio of coolent & water.

e.g. :- If you use less coolent & mix more water then mixture of coolent becomes lean.

Boiling point water is less than than coolent. So if there is more water in coolent then water starts to boil.

There are 2 types of Paraflu coolent. One is Pure & another is Concentrated (Readymade distilled water mixed)

While replacing engine coolent make sure that you are not using concentrated coolent.
    If you use concentrated coolent & mix the water in it,then it will become too much lean.

So while replacing coolent either use 100 % Concentrated OR use 50 :50 / 60:40 Pure with distilled water.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011