1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Converting Grande Punto 1.4 to a 1.4 Tjet

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Aug 16, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    These new age cars are a PITA to swap engines etc and have everything working like it should. Not really worth it.

The Palio is better in this aspect. Take an old cheap Palio Petrol , swap in the Toyota 1N-T engine (1500cc turbodiesel) and enjoy. The Palio 1.9D is easily embarassed by this engine in terms of performance. Plus, the Toyota engine is a very refined unit, even though it has mechanical injection.

Yes the legalities involved are tedious.
  2. Gurujinder, how much this mod would cost, i have a friend with petrol engine and he was asking about swapping to diesel engine.

My sincere apologies to the thread starter for hijacking this thread.
  3. gurjinder

Punjab
    *Before your friend thinks of a swap, ask your friend to check with the RTO regarding this. If the engine swap cannot be shown on papers, then it's pretty much worthless and will kill any remaining value of the car. Illegal as well.*

I'm not sure how much the 1N-T engine costs today, but back in 2010 it was somewhere around 25k or so. The gearbox used was of Palio only.

There are only two important things in this swap -

1. The quality of the used engine.
    2. The calibre of the mechanic or his team doing the swap. He can make or break the swap very easily. You need a "been there - done that" type of guy. Some mechanics/teams specialize in swaps only. Making custom engine mounts is not easy ( sometimes "mount kits" are available).

In total i would say 45-50k minimum for the swap. The old petrol engine should fetch 10k or so including the ECU. It'll be better to arrange this engine's sale beforehand, else you will have a 10k paperweight.

The Toyota engine will have to be looked at once before installing.
    - The fuel pump
    - Turbo
    - Timing belt kit + waterpump change. The mechanic SHOULD know how to time the engine and check the tappet shims (if it has). Else, he shouldn't touch the engine.
    - Self starter
    - Glow plug circuit+timer
    - Oil change
    -Very important - proper air intake setup for it. No jugaad welded iron pipe intake setups (Ask me how i know :D).

Once it's determined that the engine is healthy and all service has been done, install it in the car and enjoy.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  4. I know How you know:) just wild guess fairmount?
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    IS it really necessary ? I mean the RTO will hardly get to know of this change and simply going through the hassle of getting certified by a "Govt body" seems scary to me.
    Secondly the guy willing to take such a huge risk of all such mods would probably keep it for eternity and finally even on a rare occasion of selling the whole car i feel the buyer would understand the whole thing and pay for what its worth , right?
  6. gurjinder

Punjab
    Correct. :)

Well, a "Disclaimer" is always good to have. ;)

Secondly, it is always better to be on the correct side of the law. In a hypothetical situation , what if some official authority cross checks your RC with the engine and finds out there is a diesel engine running whereas there is a petrol engine in the papers. Also, your insurance will go for a toss. You will have to get shady third party insurance deals.

So, always better to be on the right side of the law. It pays off in the long run.

Cheers.
  7. Came across this site ,this guy is selling turbo kits, may be 1.4 FIRE owners can check out.
    N1 Racing Equipment