1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Converting Grande Punto 1.4 to a 1.4 Tjet

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Aug 16, 2012.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I really doubt any of the Indian tuners can do this in a reliable manner and give the 1.4 FIRE the performance of the T-jet or even better. There's a guy in Bangalore who can pull this off but his ego is bigger than the universe.

It'll be better to swap in the Tjet engine. Finding one with all the electronic bits including the harness and making it work in the Punto is easier said than done. But definitely do-able by the right person.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.
  2. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    it would be great if we could have a turbo on with a 1.4. Since the engine is same its worth the try
  3. If the engine block is same in 1.4 FIRE and Tjet, can't the parts be sourced from TASS or Kawa and go for ECU remap to mage the spooling.
    I heard JK automobiles in bangalore can get the OEM turbo for FIAT on order.
  4. Nimish antony

Nimish antony Regolare

Kochi
    It would be great.. Since 1.4 in the used market comes at a throw away price the same would be an interesting project to work on
  5. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Opened up 1.4 punto is a rocket if worked the way it deserve. A turbo will be a icing on cake.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    I think this should be possible.
    Also when i went to TASS a few months back i remember one of the guys telling me that some of the parts are actually shared between Palio as well.
    now if that is true then such parts can be bought from scrap dealers in refurbished condition and do it i guess...
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Let's just imagine a rough parts swap scenario.

- Oil plumbing (oil feed) from the engine to the turbo. Missing in the FIRE but there in the Tjet. So, will have to be fabricated and implemented well.
    - Water cooling for the turbo. Provision will have to be made for this.
    - The 1.4 is a high compression engine. Turbo + high compression = BOOOOM! So you gotta reduce the CR first of all. Say hello to different pistons or thicker gasket or head plate etc etc. Major mod.
    - Different camshafts for sure.
    -Exhaust manifold swap from Tjet to FIRE.
    -Exhaust system swap as well. Atleast the dump pipe.
    - Turbo sensors and ECU.
    - etc
    -etc

And when you do all that , you've got to dial in the engine tuning.

The list just goes on.:confused:
  8. Hmm, this will make the wallet by 1 lakh at least.
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    yeah its at least that much.. But look on the bright side this way..
    Should FIAT make it really big in india then in like 6-7yrs they will have no shortage of parts and spares .That time , if we have still kept our puntos then 1-2L is a bargain to spend for a mod like this and make the car really new.

Infact If i don't like any other car in the next 6 yrs then I'm surely going in for an engine transplant and see if i can fit in a 1.6 MJD into my car.
    1.6 MJD
    bigger Turbo
    Remap by Siddhart
    I think its going to be awesome ;-)