1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Confusion on Polo 1.2 or Punto Evo 1.2 (Petrol)

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by renjithlal, Nov 24, 2014.

1. renjithlal

renjithlal Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    I'm gonna book my new car this December in Bangalore. TD done on both Punto Evo (TD car was 1.4).Polo 1.2. On TDs both felt excellent. I'm preferring Petrol. My heart tells Punto, but the confusion is, for a middle version Polo (comfortline) we will get, ABS, 2 Airbags (now std in polo), Front Fog lamps, Rear Wiper, rear de-fogger and interesting thing for all u will’ve to pay around 35k-40k more (after discount for Oct-Nov in Bangalore) more than punto dynamic and that is really sad as a Fiat Enthusiast. The only things missing from top version(highline Polo) is Alloy wheels, Auto- climate, Steering mount control.
    For all those above ABS, Airbags, front Fog lamps etc,in Punto, we'll have to go for full-version(Emotion 1.4) which will cross more than 8 lacs that is just out of my reach.
    Still my heart says punto then according to my budget, I will have to go for only Dynamic (petrol) and will have to be contended myself without those necessary safety features like ABS/Airbags. I feel really bad for Punto atleast they should have provided petrol Dynamic with ABS (For Diesel Dynamic it is there) especially these necessary safety features may become mandatory for the year to come in india from Jun 2015. Is Fiat listening ?
    And now I'm waiting for the seasonal year-end discount for emotion-petrol. If it come down to at least 7.5 lacs (on road Bangalore), I would go for it, if not...fingers crossed. In such case, pls advice me which will be a good buy, Polo - Comfortline/Punto-Dynamic (both Petrol).
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    My suggestion would be to pick between Punto 1.4 and Polo 1.2.

You have test driven 1.4 but considering 1.2? What if you are not satisfied with the car after the purchase? You have to TD Evo 1.2 before making any decision. Also, you will have to evaluate the safety options as well. Between Evo 1.2 and Polo 1.2, I will be taking home Polo 1.2. :)
  3. renjithlal

renjithlal Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    Thanks yaar for ur valuable advise
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Though we have discussed in length about Polo and Punto - http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/polo-0r-punto.471/, but mostly in diesel consideration.

Did you check on road price of Punto EVO 1.4L, with current offerings? Please check the prices from all 3 dealers, I guess you should get some good offers.

Hmm, I don't think Polo's engine has any significance advantage over FIRE. However, other 1.2L engines from Maruti and Honda are better (my view :)).
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Hi, man.

As i've argued in another thread, for me at least: solid build, tight handling, weighty feelsome steering, great brakes and aptly sized and specced tyres come first for many reasons INCLUDING safety, only then followed by ABS and airbags. The extra 'safety' that these so-called 'safety features' provide are I believe marginal over and above the benefits of good handling, brakes etc, and of course careful attentive skilled driving. In the real world, rather than under quite arbitrary test conditions. Assuming one has a binding budget constraint, that is.

And so for me: Evo 1.2 Dynamic over Polo 1.2 Comfortline, every time. The evo 1.2 engine's actually better too, very driveable.

But with any, not too much luck you'll be able to get enough discounts soon on the Evo 1.4 dynamic! :) Else: stre__tch, man, financially if you like all the other qualities of the Evo. The evo is just that much more involving a car to own than a bland boring dull banal dinky Polo 1.2, imo. ;-)

all the best.
  6. renjithlal

renjithlal Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    Yeah surely I'll check for any offers with all dealers w.r.t. 1.4 emotion. I still after Punto, because, it is spacious compared to Polo (esp rear seat) and the new interiors appear damn good in Punto..any way hope for some good offer for 1.4 at least during Dec. And I'd have gone with even 1.2 had it offered ABS & Airbags.
    prabhjot likes this.
  7. nibedk

nibedk Regolare

Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @renjithlal Get the car with the maximum safety features within your budget. Comparing Polo and Punto both will be neck to neck.

Build - Punto slightly ahead
    Interiors - Polo leads here and by quite a good margin
    Engine - Polo - not because the engine is any better but Polo's lesser weight coupled with slightly higher power ratings makes Polo a little more driveable
    After Sales - More horror stories for VW group than FIAT but this will depend on the city your are in. In Bangalore Fiat is better no doubt. Spares are costlier for VW as well.
    Overall driveablity will be better with Polo if you would be using more inside the city. Punto slightly better on highways/ghats etc.
    Punto is dynamically sorted better than most competitors unless you compare with Ford Fiesta or Linea.
    Safety Features - Polo just because they have made all features standard. This is just like insurance. We may pay the premium till 60 and not get a penny back because nothing happened to us. But till we are alive we are at peace that if at all anything happens to us our families we leave behind will have something to fall back on.

Overall if you compare they will be almost be equal with Polo winning some and Punto some. Both being european cars will be equally safe. But the slightly better build quality of Punto cannot compensate the lack of safety features over Polo. Just in case of frontal collision at high speed the driver has a better chance of surviving as with the airbags opening up the chances of any injury to chest/rib area will be lesser. This is something like riding a bike with or without helmet. Either you are wearing it or you are not. Nothing in between. So in case of an accident the chances of head injury will be lesser. But that doesn't mean that if you wear a helmet nothing will happen. There is an good chance of injury even with helmet on. But you are just giving youself a little more chance of survival with the helmet on.

I have a MJD 90 HP Punto and believe me I started with Nano and had almost finalized to get the same. Reason was I didnt want to take a loan. But then the safety aspect made me think and I stret__ched by almost 5 lacs to get the top end diesel.

No doubt I get a kick when ever I touch 170 km/h on my Punto(alone) but I am more at peace when I drive my Punto at 120 km/h(never gone beyond 140 km/h with my family on board) with my family knowing that in case of an accident the chances that me and my family live is a little more.

Accidents are beyond anyone's control. With safety features you give yourself that little more chance to come out alive in case of one. You may be the best driver in the world but you never know when an idiot can ram staight into you.

I am not buying a car ever without the safety features again(I have a Swift VXi for last 8 years). Either I will stretch my budget or come down a level if required but I will buy the safest possible car within my budget.

Choice is yours ... Buy a car without safety features and save some money or buy one with safety features and give yourself a chance to live longer to save more.

My vote goes for Evo 1.4 petrol or 75 HP MJD Emotion. Wait till start of next year and you will get good discounts on 2014 models else look out for older GPs. Some dealers may still have it. They are being sold close with 1 lac discounts.

Just think ....
  8. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Buying a car is like love affair : follow your heart!!!
    Do not compromise on safety. Stretch to 1.4 Petrol. The differential amount, when availed in loan, will make minimal impact to your EMI. You can easily do a comparison at any emi calculator sites.
    renjithlal likes this.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It is not just about engine. I evaluated the safety aspect. If I am getting better safety equipments in the mid variant of Polo, I don't see myself considering base/mid variants of Punto.

And even 1.4 Emotion don't make much of sense. He can stretch little more and buy 1.3 MJD Emotion. The cost difference is only 20k.
  10. renjithlal

renjithlal Novizio

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.2
    Sir, thank u for the reply, but still, why even 1.4 does not make sense, is it such a bad option..overall..