1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Confused! Punto 90hp or Abarth or Amaze D-tec? Please help me out!

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Avinash, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    No, actually haven't booked it yet. I meant bookings are open, and the pre-booking cost is Rs.21,000, here at Pondicherry. Thanks anyway, cause 'most probably' would be booking it, after the TD! :p
  2. khoj

khoj Amatore

Dilli
    Hey Avinash,

Since the usage is going to be less than 1000kms a month you should seriously consider getting a petrol engined car and saving an unnecessary spend of approximately 1L for the same car's diesel engine version.

You already have a highway cruiser at home so the new vehicle should fill the gap of an around the town runner and still be capable of the odd highway trip.

I would recommend that you stick with any of the European brands having driven the Linea. This in no way means that the Japs or the Americans are not capable of cruising along, they are. However it is the way the vehicle holds the curves, responds to various demands is what makes it tick for me and I do not find the current small models from Japanese and American manufacturers offering that driving pleasure. Having said that do try and test drive the amaze too. I am sure given Honda's decade plus retails sale experience with Diesels in Europe and R&D going back even further back, the engine will be a gem. However how the whole package feels from the driver's seat is yet unchartered territory and as an ex Honda owner (1998-2008 & 2 cars) let me tell you their service is nothing much to write home about.

Unfortunately even amongst the Europeans there is hardly any petrol hatch that is fun to drive across all makes. So I am going to suggest that you wait for the Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSi. This is a 1.2 litre turbo charged engine and we all know what the turbos are capable of doing with small displacement petrols (hint look at the TJet). This model will be launched in April itself (IIRC) and will also give an option of automatic gear box. Do give it a shot otherwise the Punto 90 hp is the obvious pick even though it goes against my opinion of paying a premium for diesel engine. In Punto's case however one could term it as the premium for driving pleasure.

3. khoj

khoj Amatore

Dilli
  4. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3

Thanks a lot khoj for your substantial suggestion!

For the moment, it's Polo 1.2 TSI DSG! VW have done a brilliant job, in bringing the 1.2 TSI with 7-speed DSG here to India.

The engine & the gear-box are the same that's doing duty in the Golf at the foreign markets (lower spec variants), and is also, same as that of Polo GT in the International market. No sign of de-tuning for our market!

I have already seen a number of reviews on the Polo 1.2 TSI DSG. Everything looks promising! And the best part is, it's a 7-speed DSG in a turbo charged hatchback! Performance wise, it's comparable with the even the Skoda Superb!

And, coming with comparison with Amaze D-Tec, that I have considered, I think Polo TSI 7-speed DSG would make a better option.

- As the car would mainly be used within a city for about 600km/month, easier to drive within the city, with DSG.
    - For highways, performance is never going to be an issue! As per the old reviews, ride and handling is also good, though not as brilliant as Fiesta hatch.
    - Has the basic sufficient features, though I wish, they have ESP right from the launch.
    - As long as VW prices it around 7.5 to 8L ex-showroom, Chennai, I could finish the deal at 8L on-road at Pondicherry!
    - I wish they introduce the metallic brown shade to the Polo GT! :rolleyes:

And coming back to FIAT, all I can say is, am still fond of Abarth Punto, but, I don't think it's going to reach our shores anytime soon! Even, the Linea T-JET re-launch as been post-ponded! I wonder what on earth is wrong with FIAL! So, can't trust these guys, even if they say they are going to launch Abarth this year end.

And, YES, FIAT India, you are losing customers just cause you don't market your newer products well in advance! Just see how Honda marketed their Amaze! And am one of your Customers, who's now going to get a VW, and not a Fiat, ''for the moment''!

I always wanted a FIAT to be sharing the garage with LINEA, but now, I don't think it's going to happen.

Looking forward to a VW-FIAT combination, in my garage!

Attaching some video clips of POLO 1.2 TSI DSG:

Polo 1.2 TSI DSG (S Gear) - YouTube
    1 person likes this.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Are you fine with the AT? FE may take a hit here.

The only other hatchback which has AT and delivers 100 bhp is the i20 Sportz AT. It is priced 8L Ex-showroom at Pondicherry. TSI is a Turbo charged engine which is going to deliver 105 BHP and I am expecting that it may be priced around 8.5L Ex-Showroom.
    1 person likes this.
  6. vikastwister

vikastwister Novizio

Noida
    Yesterday I saw, a petrol AMAZE in our society. I asked owner why petrol, when there is lots of hulla about diesel engine from Honda. He said, booking was done for diesel variant only ? But diesel was not available for test drive. Just before the delivery he took the test drive and found that engine was too much noisy. And inside cabin noise was much more than any other diesel car. And as far as 100 Bhp specs engine on paper, car was slow on in real world during pick up. Do we have any other unpaid, original user review about the much awaited diesel car on this forum ?
    2 people like this.
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    AT might not be the best choice IMO.
    mileage is going to take a hit like ramjn specified.
    Secondly VW service isnt all that great either and there parts are super expensive too.
    with the TSI, my guess is its going to go up north by a bit more!!

I'd say wait till june or july when the Tjet is getting launched again. its not that far to wait.
    You might be in for a surprise .

- - - Merged Post - - -

If there is a TD vehicle available in blr I'm going to take it for a spin this weekend . Hopefully i can and i will post an honest review ;-)
  8. Gaurav Chakraborty

Gaurav Chakraborty Amatore

New Delhi
  9. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    Been a while since my update!

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yeah, FE is not a problem; unless it falls less than 10km/l. Dad's completely fine with it.

NO! No hyundai at any point of time!

The GT has been priced at 8.13L Ex-showroom, at Pondicherry.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yeah, the VW service cost is quite expensive, when compared with others. Have to consider this part too, before finalising.

There's already a 2009 Linea MJD Epk, , in our garage, which has clocked 58k kms. So, for now, my dad just needs a replacement for M800 that's almost 7 years old and has started causing trouble. So, only hatch-backs are considered.

- - - Merged Post - - -

I've planned to TD the VW GT by 25th or 27th of this month.

I have few queries:

- The GT doesn't have a inter-cooler. So how'll it do, on a regular daily usage, in place that's so humid and the temperature shooting up to 45deg in summer? Will the life of turbo be affected?

- Has VW done any modifications to the problematic 7-speed DSG gearbox?

And between, there's an article in OD. http://www.overdrive.in/details/3405/2013-Fiat-Linea-and-Punto-in-India-driven . They have TD the 2013 Linea and Punto. And at the end they have mentioned that Abarths are on the way!? Any inside scoop, anyone? Should i wait till June end, for the official announcement from Fiat regarding Abarths during T-jet re-launch!?

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks for sharing the information!
    Last edited: May 18, 2013
  10. Nadeem Ahmed VR 46

Nadeem Ahmed VR 46 Esperto

Gadag
    wait till june end we will get an official announcement from Fiat about Abarth..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.