1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Confused! Punto 90hp or Abarth or Amaze D-tec? Please help me out!

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Avinash, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avinash

Avinash Amatore

Puducherry
    United Kingdom
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Fiat'ians!

My dad's currently in the market to get a new car. Our 6 year old M800 has finally started to cause trouble after troubles. Almost spent 45k in less than 7 months. I know it's insane! But now, we have finally decided to replace M800, which has now done 77k kms.

We still have 2009 Linea MJD EPK, which has done 55k kms, and are extremely satisfied. Owning a Linea since 3 years, I personally have felt how it feels to own a FIAT!

• The need of a new car is urgent. (maximum 2-3 months). Mostly would be used within the city, and occasionally for highway trips. Approximately, 650 km/month excluding highway trips.

Cars considered so far:

1) FIAT PUNTO:

Two 90hp's, same brand, and same engine, under a single garage!?

Have extensively driven 1.2l for a long time, since my uncle owns one. Have TD 90hp 2012 model too; not the sport version though. No complaints on the Punto 90hp. Except for being criticised as 'powerful diesel hatch on paper'.

Can we expect any mechanical changes in the 2013 versions of Punto 90hp? How true is that they are going to change the gear box? Could we expect a 6-speed or may be semi-dualogic for Punto 90hp!? Would there be any significant improvement in the performance?

And the scoop came out, ABARTH PUTNO EVO ESSEESSE. As long as they price it less than 15lakh, would close the eyes and book as soon as it's launched. But, when??? The need is urgent (less than 2-3 months, as of today).

- If they were to launch esseesse version by this year, would happily settle for an ALTO K10 now and then swap it. If anybody has any idea of the launch date, please let me know.

2) HONDA AMAZE:

A shift from FIAT? It's hard, way too hard. But the way, HONDA has promised, AMAZE should be a stunner of a car with it's 1.5litre D-Tec engine. The specs are out.

1.5 litre diesel, producing around 100PS of power and 200NM of torque, with an ARAI certification of 25.xx kmpl!

Seriously, this is a car that has to be looked out for. Even the reviews so far looks promising. OD have reviewed 1.5 D-Tec today. And the launch is near i suppose, i heard it to be the first week of April. Is it so?

For the moment, i'm inclined towards the soon to be launched AMAZE diesel, and PUNTO 90hp.

Please help me out! Any other suggestions, from other brands? And do share your thoughts!

Thanks in advance!
  2. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    If your monthly usage is going to be just @650 kms and occassional highway trip only, why not give a petrol car a serious consideration? Abarth petrol should be a great option
  3. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    As you already have FIAT in your garage I guess you should wait for the Amaze. Test drive it and then decide.
    And I don't think FIAT is going to release any new car in the next two months
    Have a look at the vento/rapid kinds in the meanwhile till Amaze hits the showrooms
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    If you are a Fan of Fiat i dont think you will feel safe or at home in a HONDA. Concept of light weight cars has taken over honda so much that they created the lightest diesel engine :)
    Still you can drive the Amaze and if you like it you can go ahead with it.

But other options would be Ford Ecosport or a Linea TJET.
    4 people like this.
  5. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    True..Honda's are not build to last although their products are ace in the segment. On safety aspect Thumbs down.
    Ecosport would be better option
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I seriously doubt whether you will like the Amaze after driving Linea all these days. There are very high chances that you will end up with dissatisfaction. If the usage is not much go for Petrol and it would be worth waiting for the Abarth. If you are in need of a car very urgently, think about Jazz (Used?). It definitely feels premium than Brio/Amaze/City.
    1 person likes this.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^ Not sure what makes you say that. My BIL has a Honda 2.4 i-VTec AT, which has done 80K Kms and he says "Finally, the run-in is finished. Now I can rip her"

Rajan
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    2 people like this.
  8. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My view was only on build quality of Honda .. not about long lasting of engine fit and finish etc... IMO Honda is definitely not a safe car.
    My Friends city was rear ended by seven seater auto ... city got maximum damage though the Auto was running in slow speed.
  9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    True that. But that comes in to play only when one crashes. While some of us are becoming safety conscious now, the average driver does not care much about safety.

As an avid biker, with an Iron Butt certificate to boot, I have a favourite approach - "Dress for the crash, not for the ride". But that is only for the few of us safety conscious folk. For the rest, they drive with the firm belief "That cannot happen to me". That would explain the road usage awareness -or the lack of it - in the majority of our average car users.

Rajan

PS: Everyone saying "if the usage is less, consider petrol", please note that the OP is from Puducherry :D
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    4 people like this.
  10. naveen2cool

naveen2cool Superiore

Chennai
    So he should be buying a petrol car ;) Diesel is just around 2 rs less there in PY, not sure about petrol.

Man I wish I get settled in Goa :-D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.