1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

CONFUSED : Help me out!!!

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by eyeguy, Dec 23, 2011.

1. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    Ive been racking my brains trying to decide about an ICE upgrade.

The reason why I want an upgrade...15 mins of listening to music in the Jet gives me a headache:uh
    THERE IS NO BASS IN THE DAMN SPEAKERS.

I'm not crazy about subs n bass tubes n the lot but I want good clarity at low volumes with decent bass.

Now one of the guys at FMdrive Khar (I think thats the name) tested the system with a demo CD for ICE which automatically checks all channels and bass treble seperately etc.
    According to him the best bet would be Pioneer 3 way coaxials in all 4 doors.
    The reasons according to him...

1. The HU alone will not be able to drive components and they will be wasted.
    2. Amps will not match with this HU(I disagree with this) and there is no alternate HU

Now I dont like too many modifications and like to fit speakers etc in stock locations.
    e.g. In my Santro I have JBL compos at the back and coaxs in front at stock locations. Only teewters are on the pillars with a double sided tape and they keep coming off which irritates me.

My questions to you guys :-
    1. Will just putting in Coaxials really give me much better sound that stock speakers.
    2. If yes, which ones...Pioneer or should i try better stuff like Polk, Morel,Focal etc.
    3. Will using Components in front and Coaxials at the back ( without amp) give me much better sound that all 4 coaxials.
    4. If yes, which components will fit in stock locations (especially tweeters)
    5. Should I go with amp and 2 pairs of components for all doors with tweeters screwed onto dash and pillars (am damn sceptical about installation)
    Budget is not the concern here, I'm just paranoid that if I have to keep going back to the audio guy for any glitches or GOD-FORBID TASS centre I'm finished.
    I just dont have the time or temperament for that.

HELP GUYS!
  2. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hope the above comments are of help
  3. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
    My questions to you guys :-

1.Will just putting in Coaxials really give me much better sound that stock speakers.
    A. I have replaced the stock speaker with Comps Front and Co-Axials at Rear and it is much better now (I also replaced on the very second day of delivery)

2.If yes, which ones...Pioneer or should i try better stuff like Polk, Morel,Focal etc.
    A. I am using Polk Speakers (I recommend you visit good shop and take a demo of all speakers)

3.Will using Components in front and Coaxials at the back ( without amp) give me much better sound that all 4 coaxials.
    A. I am running without amps. Amps will be polnked once warranty period is over

4.If yes, which components will fit in stock locations (especially tweeters)
    A. Installation guy fitted the tweets at the stock location itself. He will take care of this

5.Should I go with amp and 2 pairs of components for all doors with tweeters screwed onto dash and pillars (am damn sceptical about installation)
    A. Electricals warranty would be void, so you have to take a call
  4. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Not necessarily.
  5. eyeguy

eyeguy

Mumbai
    Wow!

First of all let me thank you guys for the prompt responses to my queries.

@ Vasudev
    I think I'm gonna go with your set up.
    Could you please give me the model nos. of the Polk Audio speakers.

Thanks

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

@ phew

I agree the warranty should not be void unless there is wire cutting.
    Some installers claim there has to be wire splicing for the speaker installation and some guys say that connectore for the speakers can be put.

The guys at Om Sai Motors Kandivli say that any installation of speakers (even without amp) makes the warranty void.

I think we need to file an RTI application to clear out this issue ... he! he!
  6. kr_vasudev

kr_vasudev Superiore

Bangalore
  7. muni

muni

Bangalore
    Hey I got Polk components at the front and 6.5inch co ax at the rear doors+ clarion amp+ blaupunkt Sub. Got a Hertz 4 channel amp also. If you are having limited budget, just go for the speaker replacement and see if it appeals to you along with decent damping. If it fails to come alive add amps and a sub. After using the setup, I can safely say the OEM headunit is strictly average and restricted in options to tune for better sound.
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have changed the speakers. I put 6.5" Comps in front doors and 6.5" coaxs in rear doors.

I would advise you to go for front comps and rear coax combo and avoid setting up tweeters etc anywhere except the doors. It looks much more tidy to keep stuff hidden. :p

My recommendation:

SET UP1
    Front doors- 6.5" Comps Rs4500-5000
    Rear doors- 6.5" Coaxs - Rs2500-3000
    Door damping using Dynamat extreme- Rs1500/door x 2 front doors - Rs3000
    Total= Rs10000-11000

SET UP2:
    Front doors: 6.5" comps
    Rear parcel tray: 6x9 oval coaxs JBL-GT5 S396 or something similar.
    Damping of front 2 doors.
    Total: Rs11000 approx.

My Set Up includes JBL GTO 608 components in front doors with JVC 6.5 inch 4-way coaxials in rear doors. I haven't yet got door damping done but a properly done door damping with roadkill or dynamat improves the BASS and also reduces distortion. Door damping is highly recommended for front two doors at least.

P.S.- The dealers always try to sell Infinity kappa and similar high performance comps to you. Never spend too much on such products as the real quality of such components can't be extracted by the stock HU alone.

P.P.S.- Forgot to tell, do check out Polk, Hertz DSK165, Rockford Fosgate Prime series comps, JBL GT5-S265c. My JBL speakers are good for volumes upto 15. Beyond that the quality starts deteriorating gradually as stock HU can't take care of them properly.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
    2 people like this.
  9. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto