1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Confused between trip A & Trip B on the Display

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Relativity, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    On my bike, I have an Odometer that records how many kilometers has it run in total. Then there is a trip meter to record distance for a specific trip.
    This morning, I long pressed the trip button on my Punto and it reset the kilometers to Zero. It is now showing as 9 kilometers in total. I want to retain the total distance traveled by the car and only reset Trip B when I want to record a trip. What do I need to do exactly?
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    As you must be aware Trip A and Trip B are independent of each other.
    Firstly check if Trip B data is ON by browsing through MENU, then using the trip meter button navigate to any of the Trip B specific data and long press trip button, that way you can reset only trip B stats.
    Likewise if you want to reset trip A stats.

Why do you need tripA tripB for this?
    Total distance traveled is anyway displayed by default on the interface.
  3. Relativity

Relativity Superiore

Chennai
    Thanks. So if total is displayed by default, what purpose do trip A & B serve?
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Like it says, TripA and TripB measurements.
    You go from south india to North india via the Golden quadrilateral route you can use tripA to check how much you've covered.
    If you do the same return trip on regular SH and NH roads you can log that in tripB to compare. :)
    So that you will have a side by side comparison ;)
    1 person likes this.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Keep Trip A to have the complete record how much you have driven to date, what's your avg fuel consumption, total driving time & average speed during the lifespan of your vehicle. In other words, never reset it. It very handy history of your vehicle.

For daily usage, keep trip B updated. Whenever you have filled the tank, reset trip B & see how much you have cover till your next fill. You can also use it for long journeys obviously.

That's how i use my trips but i would advise you to let Trip A run forever. The data would really come in handy after 2-3 years when you will sit & analyze how cost effective your vehicle was.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    ENKI Trip A resets automatically after approx 3k kms or after xxx hrs of running whichever is earlier.
    1 person likes this.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    There is one odometer and two tripmeters in your Punto, mate.

The odometer will display the total distance your car has travelled since new.

The tripmeters, as the name suggests, are used to calculate distances of any trip which you might take and can be reset anytime you want.

Why two tripmeters?

For e.g. On a trip from X to Y , you can use Tripmeter A to calculate the complete trip data and Tripmeter B to calculate a specific distance , say , the total km's driven on the highway or in city traffic ( to give you a better idea of how much and how you drove in the city). Plenty of permutations and combinations.

Cheers.
  8. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Does it reset? it does:rage. It's actually Trip B. I disabled it to display in menu during first month thinking that it will keep an overall record of fuel consumption/avg speed bla bla. Just enabled it, it is reading only 2105 KMs whereas Odo readings show 14300 KMs. I think it got reset on it's own as you say. What a setback!! I though i would take out stats after exactly 1 yr. of ownership & calculate my fuel expenses:A.
  9. bak

bak Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Reset can be:
    – “manual” resetting by the user, by pressing
    the relevant button;
    –“automatic” resetting,when the “Trip distance”
    reaches 3999.9 km or 9999.9 km
    (according to the type of display) or when
    the “Travel time” reaches 99.59 (99 hours
    and 59 minutes);
    – after disconnecting/reconnecting the
    battery.
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Even during my Leh trip last year, I had selected Trip A for every leg of the trip and Trip B for the entire trip. But, Trip B got reset by itself after ~3000 km! All cumulative data had disappeared into thin air.:( There is no warning mentioned in the Linea owner's handbook about this automatic reset of tripmeters.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    1 person likes this.