1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Concerns, suggestions for damaged front left wheel.

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by sriramr9, May 28, 2014.

1. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Last day yet another unfortunate incident happened at crawling speed when tried negotiating a left hand turn, front left wheel crawled on top of a weak man hole cement cover (storm water drainage) which crumbled (newly done and no indication like cone or barricade was kept that would have alerted me.) and the car itself fell and got stuck.

After lots of human help, burning rubber and burning of clutch the car was pulled out to safety. i visually inspected and found the engine guard to be bent. The mud guard was not broken (black plastic), no scratches in alloy at least visually. As i drove home the remaining distance i did not get any warning. But i could sense burning smell coming from somewhere, not sure where.

Questions: What i should check immediately. please clarify. is there anyway where i can post a complaint about the bad work done by the road authorities of not having put up a visual hazard warning ? It was so dangerous, as it was in dead middle of the road entrance and people who live in that particular lane where so careless to be plying on the sides without taking any steps ?
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Thank God you are safe!! Best bet would be to take it to FASS, and get wheel alignment checked, plus check up of under body/engine/oil sump for any damage.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thats very sad sriram,better take it to FASS.

Its your mistake bro :) .
    We have to live with what govt is offering us. i have damaged my whole Alloy wheel itselves due to our roads. Cant help on Indian roads.
    Drive Carefully.
    1 person likes this.
  4. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Where exactly is the oil sump ?
  5. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Check for wheel alignment too. You can feel the left or right pulling.
  6. Crazy Fiatian

Crazy Fiatian Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Sorry to hear this sriramr9. As pabhishek and Ganges suggested please take it to FASS (I'd prefer Ramkay) and check the car completely by stating them the incident.

In our country, this kind of issues/problems most likely fall in deaf ears unless we are highly influential person :(, just a personal experience from our area.
    1 person likes this.
  7. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    Unable to test for pulling as i was having 103 fever, morning i see extensive tire wear but no visual dripping, i could see a substantial bend of the engine guard. Do i need to replace the engine guard or get it fixed?
  8. rishike007

rishike007 Esperto

Mumbai-Pune
    Pune- Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Please take care of yourself from 103 fever, FASC is there for taking care of your ride afterwards.
  9. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    get the engine guard fixed/ replaced based on its condition. AND DEFINITELY TAKE IT TO FASS for check up on the eng oil sump seal.. any hit to the engine guard can lead to a damage of the engine oil sump seal.. not aa big deal to change, but definitely necessary..
    burning smell is normally due to burnt rubber.. not to worry about that as much as the dent to the guard and subsequent damage..

from personal experience.. one bad upside down hump/ ditch/ whatever is the name for a depression on the road, and a mild impact had me scurrying for an engine oil sump seal change.. cos of very minor leak..
  10. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Apart from all the suggestions, check the tire sidewalls. There could be minor cracks or damages. Get it verified on both the sides (inside out).