1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Concern - Fiat Punto Diesel Emotion Pack- hissing sound

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by johnmas77, Jan 13, 2012.

1. johnmas77

johnmas77

Mumbai
    Palio was a car that I dreamt of owning but zeroed in on Fiat Punto Diesel Emotion Pack (Jan 2012). Nevertheless did a lot of research on Japanese and Korean but finally Italian won over. Doubly impressed with the existence of www.TeamFiat.co.in and here I am writing my first concern.

There is a small hissing sound at the rear when the car is started. Sounds like opening of a fizz bottle or similar to air passing out of nowhere. Has any Punto Diesel owners experienced it before?

Probably did not have an ear for it at the showroom as I was super excited to drive it home
  2. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Hi John welcome on board. John you need not worry about the sound. It is there in all the puntos. It is the sound from exhaust gas re-circulation. EGR systems cause exhaust gas to be recirculated to the engine cylinders. Recirculating exhaust gas will reduce Nitrous Oxide emissions in diesel and gasoline engine
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. I do agree with Cinju's comment. But if you feel it is getting increased day by day then get it checked with TASS. Let it crunch few kms then take a call. Small issues will be ter in the new car.
  4. johnmas77

johnmas77

Mumbai
    Thanks Cinju & Ravi. Yes would take it to TASS if it worsen.

5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Cinju - I may be wrong, but isn't that the fuel pump working to get the fuel in the lines? Because this happens all the time whilst we start the car.
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Teky what you are talking about is the initial priming & that happens as soon as you turn the keys in the 'ON' position before cranking. This hissing sound is the EGR . Well this is my understanding.
  7. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Okay the OP is mentioning whilst cranking I believe, Anyways it doesn't seem to be a problem. Does the EGR operate post cranking or prior to cranking?
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    cinju,
    thanks for the info that was really informative,i experienced the same sound but never took it seriously, as TASS advisor told it was common for all the punto's.

teky
    that should be post cranking i guess....
    (the opening of egr valve is related to temperature as well)
  9. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Teky is right! Noise is due to low pressure fuel pump installed inside of fuel tank

EGR valve closes after 2000 RPM to keep car in power mode.
    It also remains closed when we put on AC
    EGR valve is operated by EGR accuator.

When there is any erratic operation of EGR, ecu fires error

I have some more info & facts about egr of MJD.
    But this is sufficient
  10. johnmas77

johnmas77

Mumbai
    If you mean its post starting of the engine then YES, that's the time i can hear the sound