1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Complete worn out of Front tyres in my 1.5 year old Punto Evo

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by RPradeep, Nov 28, 2017.

1. RPradeep

RPradeep Timido

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Friends,

I own a 1.5 years old Punto Evo Emotion Diesel. Till now have clocked around 13.5k KMs.
    After the second service( done at 8.5k KMs) in the past 6 months have just clocked 5k kms only
    Last week took car for a trip to hometown, where i started hearing some unusual noise in the front RHS. Hence took it to service center, Ramkay Fiat, chennai.

But to my shock, my front wheels have completely worn out 75% from inner side when the SA examined it. However the back two wheels are normal only.
    He tells that due to alignment problem i faced this issue and pulled in the GoodYear rep the same evening, who examined the tyre citing that they can do nothing in
    warranty.
    I have been regularly doing WA and WB during the first and second free service.
    But yet i am afraid i faced this issue.
    Today went to the Ramkay Fiat Service center, the SA tells me that due to the "Ball Joint" which got defective, this in turn could have induced the alignment issue and thereby the entire wear our problem of the front 2 tyres.
    While he claims that the Ball Joint can be replaced free of cost as car is in warranty, he claims for the tyre they can do nothing and that they had put forward to Fiat as a GoodWill basis..
    SA is not commiting that Fiat will take care of the Tyre replacement cost.
    Any advises of how this can be taken forward?
    Thanks in advance for your advices.

Regards,
    R.Pradeep

2. limraj

limraj Esperto

Trivandrum / Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    You can try writing to FIAT. Ball joint may be replaced under warranty, you may have to bear the cost of the tyres.

I had unusual wear and tear in 4 tyres, post WA and WB at FASS during 15K service. It stayed till 30K+, with multiple visits to FASS, until FASS was able to correct the alignment issues. It costed me nothing except my time to visit the FASS and the tension.
    I had tried the warranty issue of tyre with FIAT, but they diverted to tyre manufacturer. After an inspection, tyre manufacturer rejected it (as it was not a manufacturing defect).
    I replaced all the tyres together and moved on.

RPradeep likes this.
  3. RPradeep

RPradeep Timido

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks very much @limraj..
    Yes, SA affirmed that Ball Joint would be replaced under warranty, but not with the case of Tyres.. But still at the first place, it was the improper ball joint which caused the tire to wear out. Will Fiat not entertain this?
    Thanks again.

4. bibin

bibin Regolare

dear RPradeep

i dont think any car manufacturer will entertain it, believe me fiat is very generous in warranty claims but since tyres are manufactured by third parties , it will be tough for the SA'S to get it approved.

RPradeep likes this.
  5. RPradeep

RPradeep Timido

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks friends...
    Just wanted to update, on good-will basis , Fiat has agreed to offer 60% discount for the 2 new tyres..As the root cause of the entire problem is the problem with the ball joint..
    Thanks again for all the suggesstions..
    Wanted to put forth this so as to encourage others who might face such situations in future..

pabhishek, Turbothinghy, KPR and 2 others like this.
  6. limraj

limraj Esperto

Trivandrum / Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    That is another good gesture from FIAT on warranty claim.
    Usually 50% on tyre is given. You get 60%.