1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Compass 4x4 as an option to choose in any variant

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by Esakki Sundar, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Esakki Sundar

Esakki Sundar Amatore

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Can some experts answer why it is possible or not possible for my below query.

What seperates Jeep from others is the go anywhere capability and 4×4 is vital. It should not be just added to the topend variants alone.

If customer wanted to choose 4×4 as an option in the base variant itself the option should be there.

Any plan from Jeep to provide 4*4 as option for customer to choose in other variants.

2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

'Go anywhere' does NOT mean a 4x4 like the Compass' or a full-time awd type system. At least not if you take price and weight and FE into account. It means (a) long travel all-round-independent suspension (since solid axles are out for all vehicles barring say the Wrangler) (b) torsionally ultra stiff AND sturdy chassis (c) very high tolerance, tough durable, suspension parts (d) torquey bottom end from the powertrain+good low-gear ratios and (e) decent approach, departure and esp breakover angles, plus good GC and finally (f) good all-terrain, all-round tryes that are not too on-good-road biased.

Electronic wizardry like traction control, hill ascent control etc exists as well, so no 4x4 is not essential to Jeep. It may be in an ideal sense (i.e., for the Wrangler and maybe even the Grand Cherokee + the upcoming Grand Wagoneer) but Jeeps are the most capable suv-s in their respective classes/segments EVEN without the 4x4 Active Drive (low) etc stuf: for the reasons enumerated above.

@Esakki Sundar

3. Esakki Sundar

Esakki Sundar Amatore

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks @prabhjot. My curiosity is, if customer wanted to choose 4x4 to select in any variant why is it not possible. Say for example customer is satisfied what Sport variant offers, but would like to add 4x4 as well to it. Why is this kind of option not avaiable.

4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

Very few people in India need or demand or expect a sophisticated 4x4 (which is not the same as an awd system) setup like Jeeps'.

4x4 stuff adds a lot of weight and erodes fuel efficiency in any case. That is why the new Jeeps with 4x4, including the Indian Compass, come with Driveline Disconnect that aautomatically converts the car to a 4x2 i.e., a simple fwd vehicle, until slip etc is detected in which case 4x4 in whichever-mode kicks in automatically. However, this stuff adds a LOT of cost, i.e., elevates the price.

SUV definition for serious off-roading as sport or for utillity-vehicle-applications is very different to what an suv means in the Indian/Asian context: namely, amply tough build, solid suspension yet good comfort levels via a stiff chassis etc, for dealing with monsoon potholes, bad or missing roads etc, slush etc. If, as with the Compass, you also have good tyres, good GC and good traction control etc electronic aids: a 4x4 is not required in India, at least not in Sport trim. It would be too expensive, and see too poor demand if offered in Sport trim as an option?

@Esakki Sundar

amitshedha likes this.