1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Comparison Of Tuning Boxes

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ProBiker, Feb 23, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Drifter babu , when are you revealing the first ever Indian Multijet remapped by you? Complete with dyno runs, your AIR and other stuff which you may like to do.

Gurjinder.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  2. Gurjinder Sir,

How do you trust those cotton filters used by most tuners to be better than stock paper filters when it comes filtration?
    I know there will be a little gain or little higher revving capability even without a remap with those filters but those are even more dangerous than tuning boxes, imagine hard dirt particles of few microns doing sandblasting the cylinders ,when it gets stuck in between piston and cylinder wall.

I would be happy to see better spreading of the torque over rev range with a remap just like VGT ,rather than trying to eliminate all the turbolag and try to make diesel car as responsive as petrol one.

Is there a way to just a another air-filter setup with just paper as filter element? or any aftermarket air-filter with lot more paper in it than stock?

Personally ,I am not looking for big gains but just little bit more wide band of power and turbo boost.

I am not sure but with stock setup of turbo boost MJD may be emitting lot more soot to cat con EGR and end-can as turbo is not providing enough air required to increase the volumetric efficiency and hence more soot in turbo than cars using the same engine by different manufacturers

I may be wrong but is not right logically?
    -Sat
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
  3. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    Gurjinder,

Unfortunately, I do not know myself. I am currently 8,000km away from India, recovering from a virus and Malaria I picked up during my visit. During my visit I have seen a few cars, but apart from one car, where we made the AIR I did not have a single car for long enough to sort the re-map.

The main reason for my last visit was to set up production of silicone hoses for the AIRs, but nothing that should have been in place before I arrived was ready before I left.

My priority right now is to recover physically and then I will prepare my next trip, where all the things will happen.

I am working at a very slow pace on a number of new products. Please bear with me for a little longer.
  4. gurjinder

Punjab
    @Sat.

Please don't call me Sir buddy!

The only aftermarket air filters i would trust would be the UNI foam filters.

See, the thing is : You can give the engine more air by these filters , more fuel by a tuning box/ remap . Now , increased air+fuel means more exhaust.
    Now , you cannot just give the engine more air + fuel and not do something on the exhaust part. For an engine to breathe easy, it's gotta inhale and exhale as freely as it can.

Else, you are just gonna overwork your turbo to its ultimate and sureshot demise.

There is a jugaad way out though.

Remove the cat-con just after the turbo. Hammer out its contents , i.e. break them away and make the cat-con a free flowing unit. :) Combined with a free flowing muffler at the end , your exhaust will tend to flow much more easier. Free flowing exhaust = easier spooling turbo.

But , bear in mind , that free flowing exhausts do tend to reduce the torque output by a slight margin.

A bigger intercooler can help so much but guys don't even bother to look at it.

So , there are probably many such permutation-combinations to be kept in mind while going for tuning. The real tuning that is.

Cheers

Gurjinder.
    Drifter - Get well soon mate!
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. Well would it pass the emission test with out catcon, in Bangalore cops can even ask for emission test certificate.
  6. Well said Guru..

going for external mods is fine but tuning the engine to make it outrun or outperform any other car is pure stupidity.
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    Most probably it should but im not sure about it.

I have heard, that , allegedly there are ways to get around this emissions test. :p :D

Gurjinder.
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    When I drove to Mumbai recently, there were a number of stalls on the roadside with the signboard "Pollution check". Since my son-in-law wanted a PUC, we stopped. The guy gave us a laminated PUC for Rs 140/= after noting down our Regn No.

Is it valid? most certainly no. However, this may be one way out.

Regards
    Johnny
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    Everything is possible in love , war and India. :p

If a car/bike is emitting more than the allowed limit, the figures to be printed on the PUC certificate can be doctored so that everything stays in limits. Jai ho!

My Bullet was polluting more than allowed when i went to get a PUC , but with the blessings of a few more $$$ the certificate mentioned everything as within limits. This was in 2007. I've never bothered to get a PUC certificate ever after.

Gurjinder.
    P.S. I hope Anna Hazare doesn't go on a fast after reading this! :lol:
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    i manage to get a PUC without taking my vehicles to the testing!! can anyone beat this :)