1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Comparison Of Tuning Boxes

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ProBiker, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    tuning boxes have no generic maps. they have have the multiplying factors and various other factors which intercept the signal and modify it.
    so the same box is used on many cars, by just changing the connectors.

a multichannel box with connection to common rail as well as turbo boost sensor will be a better best than just a box with common rail connector.
    1 person likes this.
  2. I understand where you are coming from,I appreciate it .
    I am not happy with the drivability factor for 76BHP/FGT in city traffic, is there reputed tuners who can do remaps in bangalore?
    Not many but I have read the stories of remapped cars refusing start post remap.
    how to trust these tuners to have knowledge into complex world of remap? they might be just doing secondary pressure little more and making the injectors to be open at higher revs.
    It's noting much different then tuning box but only thing is ECU knows it.

Even customer driving such car will be happy as he doesn't know what has been changed but only knows the result.
    Once these remaps are done , one will have to go to diffrent filters,headers and FEE.
    How can one make sure these things are straight forward and error free? works for life time of the car/engine?
    -Sat
  3. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    First of all, my name is JISHNU :D
    Secondly, i'm planning to keep my car for 2 years or 50Kms! Lets see what are the long time results of the tuning box! :)
  4. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    I just managed to read a few posts and got a general feel that remap or tuning is being looked upon as a frightening prospect on this thread. Its more like how buying a fiat is considered a frightening prospect by people who have no experience of driving or owning one. :p

I drive a remapped 1.4 linea and I feel that....
    Firstly, it is not that the manufacturers want you to only drive X bhp or Y torque. Its various factors, including fuel quality being the most important, when a car is tested and 'de-tuned' for country specific conditions.
    In other words, the cars are definitely made with more to offer than what is eventually offered through the torque and bhp figures.

To quote a simple example linea tjets stock do 0-100 in less than 9secs. In India its over 11secs.

I have a very positive thing to say of remaps from my experience, much beyond what I can write here.

I believe most of you writing their opinion here have some form of experience with remaps n tuning boxes. Would be great to hear those experiences.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The initial lag is one thing which i'm pretty sure even a remap cannot address.

Because the reason behind the lag is mechanical , not electronic. However , other than putting in a VGT , lag can be reduced by adding a free-er flowing filter with a complete change of the intake plumbing, removing that stupid cat-con just after the turbo and replacing it with a meaty dump pipe and replacing the stock muffler with a free flowing one.

All of the above can reduce that initial lag only to an extent , not eliminate it.

An ideal remap should take into consideration much more than just boost pressure and fuelling. This is where the scene is still hazy.

Why i'm wary against tuning is this - For getting an ideal tune, you gotta know the limits of the engine and the drivetrain components. To know the limits , you gotta blow up a few motors, ruin gearboxes , clutches , shafts etc . Just to know what the existing system can handle.

Tuners the world over have learnt this way. Who would've known that the limit of the stock Toyota 2JZ engine bottom end was around 800hp before someone went further and blew the engine.
    In India , almost all (96%) tuners are going by hit and trial.

Right now , if i had to pick an option, i'd go for no tuning at all.

If i cannot live without extra bit of punch from my engine , i'd prefer a remap over a box. But remapping without corresponding dyno runs is only half the work done.
    Because i would like to see where exactly in the rev range have i gained and how much have i gained. I would like to see power being added throughout the rev range , rather than just at the top.

Plus, in a remap , i should have the choice of :
    1. Whether i want a better top end? ( more use on the highway)
    2. Whether i want a better low& mid end? ( city use)

Like i said earlier , we cannot focus on one variable and get away with it. A remap with an assortment of other stuff just might work for us. It just might. I'm not sure.

Gurjinder.
    P.S. To all - I don't claim any expertise in this stuff. But i do read up well and think hard before going down any route. And why i type away incessantly is to prevent anyone who'd plonked his hard earned money in his ride and have it busted by some inane tuning.

And i'm definitely not against the tuning guys. But yes, I do harbour a secret dream of owning my own tuning shop one day.:p
    1 person likes this.
  6. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    @Gurjinder Paaji- Your points are very correct. Nothing wrong in them :) But still we have a few owners who has a pete's tuned Punto and has covered a lot of distance with it, but has no problems still...
  7. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Gurjinder - I definitely like your writing and the information shared :)

Coming back to my experience.. The gains of the remap is considerable in the lower and mid range. When you compare with the stock car where the second gear would feel non-existent, the improvement is 'car-changing' (definitely not so huge for me to exclaim 'life-changing:D' )

My current ODO is 48050 KM after 2 years. Remap done at 30000odd km.
    The fuel consumption figures not effected, infact getting better over time after adding the AIR .
    Emissions very much normal.
    The pleasure of driving - priceless .

And I am not into tuning business :) nor into entering a racing championship nor did I intend to remap the car for showing it off.... The only reason that I did a remap was to do away with that initial lag and to get that pull in the lower gear.
    Mission accomplished !

Chapter closed.

Edit - P.S. : I lied - my linea after remap is 'LIFE-CHANGING' :p

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  8. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    It is NOT the same as a re-map. A re-map is much more than this and the same cat re-mapped properly will leave your's for dust and won't slowly kill the turbo.
  9. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    I was talking about the power output :)
  10. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    You will never get the torque delivery through the rpm band with any tuning box as you get it with a proper re-map. What you perceive as an extreme hike in performance is way off what you will get with a dedicated re-map.