1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Comparison Of Tuning Boxes

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ProBiker, Feb 23, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    With all due respect, i disagree with the claim forwarded.

Nothing personal, just what i believe in.

Gurjinder
    1 person likes this.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Jishu- your claim is valid only in certain cases. but certainly its not 60%. for example the same powertrain in sumo grande works with 120bhp and same on safari works for 140bhp.

in case of 1.3 mjd, being with tata and fiat since long time i can surely tell you that even the material specifications on 75hp and 90hp are different.
    the design is same, but material, heat treatment and different metallurgical aspects on the shafts, gears etc are different.

i can however safely say that the 90bhp mjd (indian version) can handle around 110 bhp without any fuss on daily drive basis. further 120-130bhp is also do-able provided you dont give sudden sprints to the engine.
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    The factor of safety - as we call in engineering - can vary between 10% to 50% or more depending on the critical nature of the application, cost of engineering process and various other factors. It doesn't mean that the component can sustain that much additional load on a regular basis.
    Why is it provided? The load bearing capacity of a component can vary due to many factors that are not fully in control of the manufacturer. So the factor of safety ensures that even if there is something slightly amiss in the process or the material used or there is some spike in the load, it can still sustain without failure. Loading it more on a regular basis is very risky.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. drifter

drifter Regolare

London/Mumbai
    The claim is not valid in any case as gearboxes are torque rated and not power rated.
  5. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Royj has made a very pertinent point. If you 'abuse' a component, by pushing it into the 'safety factor' regime, regularly, the component will fail - sooner or later.

The smart thing to do is to use it within the regime permitted by the manufacturer.

Regards
    Johnny
  6. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Any how now the setting my car is running is, is the same as a remap! i.e 108Hp..
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Jishnu , the ways & means to achieve this 108hp figure is more important than the end goal of 108hp itself.

Gurjinder.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  8. I agree to gurjinder that it is the way you tune your car to produce 108bhp.Tuning is known to spoil the cars performance as it is always the ECU which is remapped,which spoils the standard setup of the engine for optimal performance and FE.
  9. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    Joshua, as rightly pointed by most here, getting 108bhp is not something that should bother you but the technology which is behind it should be of utmost matter. For eg, tuning boxes provides generic maps for the engine, but a remap done by a proffessional tuner will be customized specifically for your car.

Just like two fingerprints are not the same, even though the raw material is same, this theory holds good for even cars. No two cars manufactured in the same plant will be completely same in the way the engine will function. That's. How u have a lemon or good car.
    Approach Drifter in the forum for a remap and he will surely help you. He is an experienced tuner from England who has come to India to set up shop and you will not go wrong with his knowledge of FIATs.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
  10. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Jishu is right upto an extent.Engine and Gearbox are designed in a way so that it takes much more abuse than designed for.
    The same 1.4 Tjet in Brazil produces 152bhp with a turbo offcourse.Im just assuming the 1.4NA in India can be tuned till 120bhp without any issues.