1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Comparison Of Tuning Boxes

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ProBiker, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Auto Freak

Auto Freak Amatore

Wonderful and very informative thread! I just finished reading from the start to end!
    Just want to understand how a tuning box manages to improve the fuel efficiency.

1. The working as i understand
    A basic tuning box introduces a resistor between the rail pressure sensor and the ECU which modifies the signals and makes the ECU believe that the rail pressure is lower than it should be. (same logic with boost pressure sensor in case of a dual channel box, right?)
    This makes the ECU pump in more fuel to the rail to increase the rail pressure.

So, for the same injection duration, the injectors inject more fuel -> and eventually engine produces more power!

Since the injected quantity is increased, where is the scope for FE improvement, it should logically worsen.

2. The way the MID perceives Fuel Consumption:
    I believe, a car with a tuning box will indicate a lower fuel consumption on the MID.
    Since the ECU is not aware of the increased rail pressure, its calculation of injected quantity vs energizing time of the injectors
    will be incorrect (lower) against the actual. (The injectors are injecting more fuel than the ECU thinks due to higher 'actual' rail pressures)

Are we being made to believe that the lower consumption shown in the MID is indeed real and it is because of the tuning box?

Or is my understanding wrong and am I missing something?
    Can the fuel consumption value shown on the MID still be trusted?
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
    3 people like this.
  2. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Oops.. did i really miss anything? Pasting your statements below:

I would like to see someone post a picture of the MID showing TripB distance 100+ kms and TripB average speed 80+, before I am convinced that these cars actually need aftermarket tuning improvements.

I am simply taking on your above statement underlined in bold. To the best of my knowledge "it means that one cannot manage an avg. speed of 80 Km/hr on a 100 km stretch so why to go for a tuning box (if roads are that bad and avg. speed will always be poor irrespective of how much power do you have)?"

Then you state this...

When you already have a car that can do more than what the road can reasonably allow and the law permits- bone stock, pray do tell me, where is the need to improve on it?

then you state this..

We have to remember that just the engine block does not make a car. All other components from Tyres to Air Filters to Nuts&Bolts are designed and chosen to work together. (Pls read my earlier post, that's ditto the reason i don't consider TB or remapping. Treating me with my own dose:D?)

Try to find anything common among these 3 statements, good luck!

Again it's view of a consciousness that names you. If someone else finds his FIAT underpowered or want it to be even more faster, let him do this with a TB, Remapping or every other way possible, that is every bit right.
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

^^ Yes indeed. You missed the Latin in my Signature :D

Peace. I am out of here. Thanks,

4. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

I completely agree with Mr.Rajan. There are very few roads which would allow us to achieve higher avg speed and a stock Fiat is more than enough to do so.

A few pics from my previous highway runs, as a contribution to support his point.

S1-1.jpg S1-2.jpg S2-1.jpg S2-2.jpg S3-1.jpg S3-2.jpg S4-1.jpg S4-2.jpg S5-1.jpg S5-2.jpg

But, sometimes we feel the urge to have more power delivered at less rpms mainly in city traffic conditions.

My daily travel time has now increased to 2hrs for 30kms one-way. Thanks to the Hyderabad Metro works and horrondus pot holes due to the monsoon. People squeez-in, no matter what size of the vehicle they are travelling in, and we need to constantly keep an eye and try to minimise the distance between us and the vehicle ahead by keeping the rev band to optimum throughout.

And these are the times, when we want the engine to be more peppier than what it is, which unfortunately is not the case. Can be gear ratios or can be the state of tune or something else. I am not sure what exactly would be the correct solution to it, but I am living with it for now. May be a TB or a remap or nothing can help me here.

On highways I don't think a TB would make much difference or if it does, a very little difference to the existing performance and neither a remap, if we would choose to tune it to give the optimum advantage in city traffic conditions.
    2 people like this.
  5. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Kiran, "you are doing avg speed of more than 80 Km/hr on a trip of 300 Kms" and still agree with Rajan "who is claiming 80 km/hr is impossible on 100 kms stretch"?

I like this, sometimes to oppose Enki, you don't mind agreeing with anything, i like that. Hating something beyond something is nothing but valuing something beyond limits with -ve polarity. Yep, that's exactly what he stated to what you are agreeing to:evilsmile!
  6. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Kiran - I am glad that at least you were able to understand what I was saying. The point is - It is uncommon to find roads that allow people to achieve the kind of average speeds, that this car can deliver bone stock. If and when you do find such stretches, the car can deliver this with more to spare. In spite of this, I fail to understand why people want TD on their cars.

I agree with you about getting remapping for better city driving, but as you say, that is not going to add any value on highway runs.

ENKI - As a senior and experienced person, I would expect you to please help quell the misconception that TD / Remapping = Faster car, rather than pick on people who post sensibly. As you can see, Kiran has proved me right, by proving me wrong. He got this with the car bone stock. My post was to highlight this. I will try and keep it simple, so you can understand:

1. The car BONE STOCK, is capable of delivering far more than what the average driver is getting out of it
    2. For those who cannot get that from the car, BONE STOCK, TD / remapping is not going to help
    3. A more powerful car does not automatically make a person a better driver
    4. The question I was asking was this - "The car can deliver. CAN YOU?"

Kiran was able to get all of these from the 75 HP 1.3 MJD. And everyone wants a TD on the 90 HP. What for? To help cover up your shortcomings? First learn to extract every last iota of what the car already has available, then think of increased power. Maybe the driver needs a TD and not the car.

Please go back and read my posts again, then you will know.

2 people like this.
  7. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

This is what I agreed to. I still agree with Rajan that on a highway run Fiats are more than capable of achieving what the best could be.

And, that was your point aswell.

Are you hurt that I din't agree with you? Let me rephrase myself then, "I agree with Mr.Rajan and ENKI aswell". See, I am not opposing you.

You have no idea how much I love your posts. And you hurt me by saying that I hate you? :(
    2 people like this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    You made a good point here about fuel efficiency by Tuning box,you are right here TB here also fools ECU.May be tank full method of fuel efficiency can give the right answer.
    1 person likes this.
  9. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

I remember both my & Naughty's car were on tuning box and we did manage to reach 170Kmph over a short distance in my car and 150Kmph with his.. Frankly i think a DRAG race side by side can show the difference! :D hehe
  10. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After going through the thread it seems the best way to know is to first drive a car oneself which has a TD and compare it with the stock one.
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013