1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Comparison Of Tuning Boxes

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ProBiker, Feb 23, 2011.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    to add to ^^ , I've always maintained that if you are looking for performance in any sort a complete ECU remap is the only sane way to do it.
    TD VS remap has been a very very long debate so you will find a LOT , a LOT of info on this in this forum only. There are guys with remaps (like me) and there are guys with TDs . so go through all these posts ,compare and make your decision.
  2. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    deba... epicenter, here in the forum is using petes box in his punto for 2 lakh kms and prior to that, he was using it in his swift ddis for another 2 lakh kms.. .no issues so far !! what more assurance u need? pm him for more details !!!
    and with tuning box, u can remove it and sell it if u dont want, n you wont lose much, probability of harm to the car is very less, unless you go for very high state of tune, which may damage the rails, injectors, etc...with remap, you pay 30k+ and its a one time investment . and for good remaps, you ll have to come to blore or mumbai and its a trial and error method to get your favorite state of tune.
    2 people like this.
  3. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I have this urge of having one, so what i'll do is get one and since they are plug and play will use it on occasions when i am out on the highway. A TFIian here 'Naughty said he's been using it for a long time now and there has been no problems. Will it be less trouble (if there is) to the engine if i use it once a week, have fun and unplug it for the rest?
  4. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Sure, MJD are one tough machines and too good to surrender just for 10-20% more gain, that's not a surprise.
    Why i am in favor of remapping is because of n-numbers of combinations.

Is turbo tuned to max. RPMs that it is capable of? Surely not in India where FIAT have mapped everything for longitivity. Engine will have more air to breath and will stay relaxed. You can alter your Emission standards so that engine is not in continuous fight with itself. In docs, it's still BH4 (who cares if it is emitting more NOx or CO2, there are utterly rubbish autorickshaws who emit 10 folds more nox/co2 than a remapped MJD). You can increase compression ratio (FIAT's block/Chamber & bore/strokes are shared across it's whole range of engines (even in Turbo Petrols)). If the same block can withstand more compression ratio in 2ltr MJD to yield 85bhp/200 NM per ltr torque, you have ample room to optimize compression ratio further. There are n-such combinations where you can chose the best and yet a relaxed engine.

Also i wonder if any Tuning box is more than a Psychological thing. Drive it without Tuning box, you may feel a bit surprised because performance is unchanged:-D.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    one last time.
    a TD is adjusting (read as fooling) the rail pressure that sensors read and in turn results in dumping more fuel hence you feel the kick is better and faster.
    But techinically that's is not what you want.
    with a remap you control 100s of other parameters.
    to name a few
    1.) EGR
    2.) turbo boost range
    3.) injection timing
    4.) turbo kick in time
    and many many other things.

For example if you want your car to give you good boost from 1800 to 2200 a TD cannot do that.
    If you want boost from 2500-4000 a TD cannot do that.
    (Reason is its only fooling the ECU do dump something at some time).

If your really serious about precisely managing boost and FE and everything else in between then go in for a remap.

To the point of which one lasts longer.
    both TD and remaps are equally expensive and both depend on what you want.
    If you get a TD that dumps fuel like crazy you can forget your car in 10 days.
    if you get an extremely aggressive remap pumping out 110BHP at wheels (yes it can be done for a 75HP punto as well) you can pack up your car in 2 days.
    The idea is to think carefully so has to let your engine perform to the fullest in the sanest way possible.

I did this TD VS remap comparison for nearly 2 years and then decided in favour of the remap as it adjusts all necessary parameters.
    A full report on what all changes and how it affects system is written in great detail in this forum itself . Please check these threads.

Warranty : Dont worry about it because here in India your warranty is only honoured if your lucky.
    2 people like this.
  6. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    As Varuntr rightly mentioned...

One of the TFIan epicenter from Gujarat has used this Tuning box more than 2 Lac KM. on his Punto and prior to that he has used it on Swift for more than 2 lac Km. and he is now planning to sale his Punto and buy another car (Probably its Punto once again) and still he is planning to keep this tuning box for future car... now what more one can ask ? What more assurance do you need?
    Its plug and play... so before giving it to service you just need to remove it and plug it again when car is back... no way service center can find out that your car was on Tuning box...
    other than that you can keep your car on tuning box always ... No problem at all.
    moreover you can sale the tuning box if you ever want to (Which you will never)
    Even if you believe that it can harm engine in long run... for example Engine's life is 3 Lac Km. and with Tuning box it will die within 2.75 Lac Km. How much difference does that make to you?
    and extra pleasure of driving it for 2.75 Lac Km. is more important or 25000 Km. less life of engine is more important (if at all you believe that its going to harm engine in long run)

Just go for it buddy...

Cheers... :up

Neel
    1 person likes this.
  7. I had two tuning boxes in my car so far. ASA and Racechip.. both were good. Price wise ASA was a total vfm. But the problem is, we dont feel the boost or performance after some time, may be because we get used to it and again start feeling bored of it. Like Enki pointed out, i did not find difference in performance after removing the box!!.

Few things: if you want to try tuning boxes and want to recover at least 50% of the money then they are good. I did not find any major difference in NVH and all.

Remap: i could not find a good thread that says about remap experience in this forum, may be i did not searched well. Pointers please. I am more into NVH and refinement concerned
    1 person likes this.
  8. deba

deba Amatore

itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Now ENKI, the black and chetansgangoor just as my doubts were all but cleared you have now mentioned about TDs being not very effective and maybe a psychological thing while Naughty and varuntr swears by it. Since it is easy for you guys to asses the Pros and Cons of a TD or a Remap and recommend it as you guys are the experts here but a first timer like me is bound to get confused.
    But my frens here Naughty and varuntr are really convincing so i will go for a TD anyway as Remap is out of my reach as i cant take my car to Bangalore or Mumbai. I'll use it and if due to any reason i dont feel satisfied with the performance or any such issues i always have the option to sell it. But i really hope the TD works as i want to have more Fun with every run in my Punto.(Mileage was never an issue, i dont mind if it goes down if i get the performance)
  9. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Its an individual's preference and if it justifies to oneself, go for it. I do miss more performance in my 90hp but just increasing power on paper is not sufficient. I have found vgt's extreme limit and from here on, I would rather look for 4 discs, stiffer suspension with better aerodynamics first and then empower it to go over 200 km/hr confidently. Reason is simple that even highways are crowded in this part if India. I am not 0-100 guy so a TB or remapping is useless for me. It depends what your priority is, I would rather wait for Tjet Punto or even Abarth.

There was never a right or wrong view to begin with, it just individual consciousness of each one of us that views the world and develop its own concepts.:p
    1 person likes this.
  10. deba

deba Amatore

itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My Conclusion is - Remap seems to be a more technically sound option as you have the flexibility to tweak the settings as per your liking but TDs seem to be more practical. You need a very good expert (which many of us dont have access to) to do the remap and its a one time fix. But TDs are plug and play types and you dont need an expert to install it also you can remove/sell it whenever you want.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Got to agree on that as such things are individual preferences and its definately not about right or wrong. Well i am not the most sedate of drivers and i would love to have a few more horses under the hood if available (TD or a Remap). If i can pass this speeding swift or i20 on the highway and despite their best efforts they cant get to me.. well that would make me feel it was worth it.