1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Comparison Of Tuning Boxes

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by ProBiker, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    See what happens is the tuning boxes increase the rail pressure and with dual channel rail pressure + boost. But i have seen that these increase in fuelling causes lambda sensor values to go beyond the factory specified ones.

So when ecu notes this it starts decresing fuel and other parameters substantially. So in all the increase due to tuning box starts negating. This happenes continuously and you loose the drivability.
    2 people like this.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thats was pure technical answer which is beyond my thinking :D .
    i have seen the tuning box of 10000 rupees and also 35000 rupees,what is gimmmick behind this price ? is it just hardware built to withstand inside the bonnet or there might be chances of enhanced software development to ensure/take care of the tasks as you mentioned.Why cost difference ?
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Concept of all tuning boxes is same, decrease the voltages across the rail pressure sensor so that it pumps more fuel. So a 5k or 10k rs tuning box ultimately does the same thing using some or the other hardware.
    2 people like this.
  4. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    So drifter it means that the tuning box will have an adverse effect on the engine (diesel) in the long run. So would you recommend it to first timers like me or not?

- - - Merged Post - - -

So the tuning boxes are a complete no no??
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
  6. deba

deba Amatore

itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    How is an ECU remap done?? Do you need to buy some kind of a kit to do it??

- - - Merged Post - - -

Yeah yeah good one, more questions and few answers....... and some more questions!!! So what do i do??? :confused:
  7. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad

Deba,

Dont think much... Just go ahead with the Tuning box.

there are many members on this forum including me (you can go through the details of my car here: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/body/6153-my-pretty-just-got-prettier-me.html ) happily running their cars with the tuning boxes. Absolutely No issues with it. It doesn't void the warranty as well as you will just plug out before giving it to the Fiat Service Station and you will plug it back again once you get your car back.

Most of the tuning boxes are working in same manner with some or the other hardware.

There is one Racechip Tuning Box on sale on this Forum itself for just Rs.9500 which otherwise would cost you between 15K to 17K.
    Some other make (sorry i forgot) european tuning box is on sale as well for just Rs.3500.

Cheers.. :up

Neel

- - - Merged Post - - -

Deba,

You can get the details here of those Chiptuning boxes on sale here: http://www.teamfiat.co.in/tfi-classifieds/10093-sale-race-chip-linea-mjd.html#post182611

Cheers..

Neel
    1 person likes this.
  8. deba

deba Amatore

itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Okay i should give it a try then.. i was a bit worried because lot TFIians here were concerned and their comments were not very favorable towards tuning boxes. I am new to this hence the apprehensions.
    Saw your link and your Punto looks cool man. The alloys are hot but those alloys looked like 14", why didnt go for the 15" alloys? I too got new shoes and alloys for my Punto a few days back. 15" alloys with 195/60 specs Yokohama ES1000 tyres. Posted a few pics in my profile album and here are a few pics just for you hope you like em- (wrong thread to post these pics sorry for that
    :) )

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    To me - yes. I will never install one.

But hey, this is a very contentious topic. And like the Brits say - You pays yer money. :)

Cheers.
  10. ENKI

ENKI Esperto

Tuning box should be most successful with 2009-10 MJD's because of lesser strict emission controls. At the end of the day, it just fools the ecu to inject more and more diesel, if it violates the emission standards, there will be continuous conflicts between ECU and Chip, result will be inconsistent performance or even drop of performance. Must mention that fueling more and more without enhancing airintake mechanism shouldn't be good. One needs to check if tuning box goes beyond just alternating fuel management system, can it fool around the ecu for emission standard as well? I am not sure if 2009's tuning box will help BH4 MJD's at all.

Remapping the ecu looks best to me with an option to revert to "DEFAULT" factory map. Fiat has undertuned their engines because of weather and other driving conditions of India, there is at least 20% performance untapped in MJDs. Their specific output goes upto 75 HP/180 NM per ltr in europe. That would comfortably put even FGT to 95HP/220NM, at least occasionally to enjoy with revert back option provided all parameters are altered for a relaxed performance. VGT can yield upto 105HP/240NM (as FIAT did in Ypilson version in 2008 with same 1248cc VGT). If there is an option of remapping, go for it (assuming that guy is thoroughly knowledgable and professional on MJD's.).
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2013