1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Compact SUV from Nissan

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by Raj_pol, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    pabhishek and bharath like this.
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Lol @Raj_pol ! Don't know what's priority for FCAcorporate in case of fiat India future.
    I mean, during recent times Honda developed diesel engine, VW modified its diesel for india, Maruti has almost readied its compact offerings, Tata is ready with new products, Hyundai and ford too; where is FIAT?

Leave aside new offerings, it's still hasn't modified its 1.6 offering for India unlike VW.
    Buck up Fiat:banghead:
  3. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @pabhishek

Honda is in humunguous accumulated losses in India, and is in losses globally too with a global CEO who has just been sacked...for chasing volumes at the expense of quality of design, engineering and components.

Ford and VW are sitting on huge accumulated losses too in India, alleviated only by exports.

Tata's spending 3000 crores all told on all their new products, dealerships etc...and will not make a penny on that investment for at least 5-6 years, IF at all. The Zest+Bolt are probably not doing well enough, as a beginning.

I do count the more or less 'successful' all new independent dealer- and FASS- rollout as 'activity' and 'commitment', as also the excellent refreshes to the Linea and the Punto, not to mention the outstanding Avventura.

Should've been enough for a year or two, but....is not!!, hence our unending angst as Fiat owners and fans, but remember it is not our money to lose trying to break-into this, the world's hardest and most unique, car market. ;)

@Raj_pol

The sub-4m Nissan SUV you speak of is i believe 1.5 years away at least. It must not be compared with the 500X! The 500X is an outright 'premium' crossover: in styling, materials and design, and suspension engineering, and sub-branding ('500', Cinquecento) a whole 1.5 segments higher than this sub-Duster car, equal/above the Skoda Yeti.

Even Fiat, just like Nissan/Renault, should be showing a similar b-suv at the same 2016 autoexpo Nissan will display this car. Their 5-year plan says so, they confirmed this to Autocar recently. There even are quotes from a senior FCA product planning boss that that b-suv may have a Jeep sibling (well-below Renegade/500X).

Let's see. btw, Nissan has also done very very poorly in India financially, and manages their crap third-world special cars (albeit with a good diesel engine, and with a god cvt) in India only thanks to Duster- and other exports.
    mangeshtendulkar and asimpleson like this.
  4. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    @prabhjot As an absolute "mango man" I find the looks of the car very attractive even more than the 500 X. All I am saying is that such a look with good mileage will sell like hell in our country. I assume from the looks, the bling (music, cameras, bottle holders) etc..already exist - put thin sheet metal and get good mileage and you are all set.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Raj_pol

No doubt, no doubt, except not if such a thing is offered by Fiat!

The small 'suv' that really intrigues me personally (and Fiat would have a hidden hand in it, as it were) is the Tata Nexon, if their autoexpo concept is anything to go on. Also the Maruti Suzuki XAlpha (also with an FCA hand), with its boxy, jeep/jimny styling cues.

Renault-Nissan are very strong (esp outside the US) at small cuv-s/suv-s (from the Duster to the Captur to the Qashqai to Juke and Murano).

The thing with very Japanese/Korean-style car designs (busy, bling, kitschy) is that they excite at the outset but then rapidly lose their identity/distinction. A 500X especially or even say a Fiat Panda-styled bigger CUV (which is what the styling on the professed b-suv for India and brazil is rumoured to be like) or a Duster or Yeti or Land Rover or Jeep for that matter retains its styling and brand-look distinction over time, and no matter what the competition looks like?

I find the Avventura just superbly charismatic for a sub-4m crossover. So does everyone, i guess. The thing is: it will stay that way, even say 3-4 years from now, that is the special Italian 'genius' for subtle, harmonic yet expressive styling (Punto+Evo+Avventura). Sales are, as always, a different story, of course.

Let's hope Fiat is not going to go all out only with Jeeps in India, and does still intend to bring that 'b-suv' (Giant Panda? Panda X?) next year as professed. As also the 500X, of course!, which I can promise FCA India will see at least 3 purchased in my extended family at launch!:p
    Raj_pol and asimpleson like this.