1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Commute inside City - RE Thunder Bird or a Small Car ??

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by bsrej, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would suggest to buy a second hand or new bike(giving more mileage :D ) considering your short term location change,paisa vasool.

Mahindra.jpg
  2. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    there are chances of back getting strained only if you ride on broken roads regularly. you won't need to worry about it if you ride on good roads. I have a 2009 Thunderbird which I am using daily these days although for short distance of 3.5 kms one way.

having said that I would still not suggest you to use bike for 50kms/day mainly because of the lack of safety when compared to a car.

have you looked at all possible options to sort out the parking problem. there are no alternative parking places nearby?
    1 person likes this.
  3. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks Ravi Sir.. I read your review in Team BHP about your TB 500 :D and decided to take a test ride this weekend.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Happened to hear that my neighbor is planning to sell his 2011 nano... Will take a test ride and will decide afterwards

- - - Merged Post - - -

got your point... I think I can reduce my budget, if I go for a nano :p

- - - Merged Post - - -

So estilo is no better than Palio SLX in terms of FE :confused:

- - - Merged Post - - -

Is there any problems with brakes, I read in one review that it was feeling like wooden brakes .

- - - Merged Post - - -

This is my dilemma, there is huge difference in wow factor between thunder bird and nano. And that is why I am tempted towards TB

- - - Merged Post - - -

I am not planning to sell it (TB or Nano) in near future. I will use it as a second car/cruiser bike for some time.
    I have checked the waiting period with Enfield brand store and it is 2.5 to 3 months in Chennai....

- - - Merged Post - - -

Considered this, but people are working in slightly different timings. So one person's delay will drag all others unnecessarily......

- - - Merged Post - - -

For that I already have an old HH Super Splendor. But the ride is not so comfortable for longer distances and that too for daily commute........

- - - Merged Post - - -

I would be riding mostly on city roads which is not in bad condition (as of now :D).........

I am searching for some paid parking options as well, but seems to be a bit costlier in Mount Road, Chennai
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    and trust me, an RE will not give you any back ache. and with regards to the concerns of safety on roads... you are safe as long as you drive sensibly.
    PS:- the number of car accidents have been almost the same as those on bikes.

- - - Merged Post - - -

road-accidents-share-by-vehicles-category-type-in-india.png

statistics for 2013 from the net
  5. SHBZ

SHBZ Novizio

Pune
    Bsrej,
    Its ur comfort. If U r ready to bear the expense of a car compared to retb, then go for a nano or zen estilo....bt make sure u will get stuck in traffic.. An RE wl always save money n time...expect d comfort n safety of closed car...
    I ride around 42kms on my RE CLASSIC n Enjoy ride...what an helmet n cruze along the stretches...

Both have equal pros n cons....

Sent from my D6502 using Tapatalk
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Leave alone city commuting, I have not suffered from backache even during/after long mega rides of more than 1,000 km each in 24 hours, thanks to the contoured rider's seat of the Thunderbirds. I have done these one-day trips: Chennai>Kanniyakumari>Chennai, Chennai>Athirapilly Falls>Chennai, Chennai>Kodaikanal>Chennai, Chennai>Ooty>Chennai, Bangalore>Chitradurga Fort>Bangalore, Bangalore>Gopalaswamy Hills>Bangalore apart from many Chennai>Bangalore>Chennai trips.

My ownership thread contains all about my Thunderbird 500, positives and negatives, strength and weakness, niggles and substandard and poor quality materials used. On the whole, I enjoy riding my Thunderbird 500 both in city commuting and long rides. :)

I wish you all the best.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    4 people like this.
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    This may not be the overall picture. What they have missed is the location of the accidents. While majority of the car accident may be on highways while the bikes may be in the city.
    2 people like this.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^very good point ramesh.

another thing to consider is that we are concerned about safety of driver/rider and not of car/bike.

number of car and bike accidents may be same but a car driver is more likely to come out unhurt where as a bike rider will get hurt in most cases.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk
  9. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    No offense to anyone - but does that mean, one is not supposed to ride a 2 wheeler??

Sent from my A250 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  10. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Thanks a lot Ravi Sir... Its amazing to see that you have done a lot of long rides with your TB :D

- - - Merged Post - - -

Do we have any data about accidents in which Bullets were involved........
    1 person likes this.