1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Commute inside City - RE Thunder Bird or a Small Car ??

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by bsrej, Jun 16, 2014.

1. bsrej

bsrej Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi Folks,

I am in a sort of dilemma :confused::confused:. Recently I did quit my job and moved to another company with in Chennai. Even though the new office is very near to my home; they have deputed me to a client location for one year. And the client's office is in mount road, Chennai.

Now the problem is, my daily commute has increased from 10 Kms to 50 Kms (total/day). I can't take my TJet due to two reasons.

1. The customer place has a very congested parking space, and to get a slot I need to reach office by 8.00 AM.
    2. Fuel economy- Rush hour - Chennai Traffic - TJET (Hope you guys got it :eek:).

I thought a lot for a solution, considered lot of options and now has shortlisted two options.

1. Buy a new RE-Thunder Bird bullet.
    2. Buy a small used car (and estilo or nano or something of that sort).

For both of these options by budget is 1.5L (max).

IF you were in my situation; what will you do ?
    1 person likes this.
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Given monsoon and budget conditions

Options goes in following order
    1. Public Transport
    2. Second hand small car. Nano second hand comes dirt cheap.
    3. Two wheeler
    1 person likes this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Dont buy Nano, find a CNG ZEN, or Indica Diesel or cheapest Palio SD or SDX 1.3 with working AC.

Dont use bike.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ofcourse you will sell it after a year, I assume. So keep the price low and managable to keep further depreciation at minimum.
    1 person likes this.
  4. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    putting myself in your shoes, and with my profile almost being the same - this is my recommendation

get a RE thunderbird. its never a depreciating asset. (had purchased mine for 90k, still get offer of 1.1 lks for the same :))
    it saves a helluva lot of time in the traffic and cruising on tbird is effortless and non-tiring. (been using one for the last 8 years). have used it in peak hyderabad traffic, chennai traffic kochi and mumbai traffic with zero issues.
    one more car, and it will increase your maintenance costs. its damn difficult to maintain 2 cars with work this far. moreover, the bike can again be put to use for small grocery trips, late night drive with your lady love, and all.
    it oozes style. everybody gives way to a bullet.
    2 people like this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My suggestion, buy Bullet and use for most of the time. Use T-jet in few other situations, like when going early, or plan to come late etc.
    1 person likes this.
  6. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Considering the safety aspect, I would strongly recommend a small car than the RE. For the budget of 1.5 L, you can easily get used Nano well below your budget and you can consider the option of LPG'eing it to manage your fuel bills better.

There is no monsoon in Chennai at this time of the year. And public transport is a real pain too.

There is no CNG in Chennai. Only Auto LPG.

Palio MJD is good option but if he is too much concerned about the parking, nothing can beat Nano. :)
    1 person likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Yes, no matter how good a biker or car driver one is, there is always a possibility that someone strikes from behind. For a bike a small nudge could spell disaster.
    Also, thanks for the info, I personally wont be comfortable and would not recommend Auto LPG. Instead of Nano, he could go for a Zen Estilo right. I am not sure how much constricted space he is talking about while parking. Ofcourse Nano is more FE right, but Zen could offer better drive and slight better protection.
    1 person likes this.
  8. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    If it is only for city riding, definately nano is better. I have been using nano since last 2 years and its very much comfortable for the city driving. Only problem with the nano before 2012 is not having the power steering. But other than that this is good city rider.
    1 person likes this.
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Does it have the PS now? I have always thought that Nano does not have PS.
    1 person likes this.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Ramjn, Nano Twist has powersteering but maynot be so cheap within 1.5lakhs used.