1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Common man's Merc -My punto 1yr /14k kms review

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Cinju, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Perhaps this is my 1st ownership thread in TFI :helmet ( I was supposed to write an ownership thread when I bought my car). Well the reasons being, TFI was my 1st blogging site & I was really new to all these topics. Let me personally thank all the Admins,mods & those who have worked behind in bringing out such a wonderful site :clap. Proud to be a part of TFI family. I have always felt that Punto is really a common man's Merc
    Today 30th Dec 2011 my baby is 1yr old & completed 14,000 kms. My driving experince started with our Mark II petrol amby, then Fiat Undo diesel (which was actually my 1st owned car), Wagon R & finally Fiat punto. It was always my dream to owe a Punto when I heard that Fiat had plans to launch Punto in India. I wanted to be the 1st customer from trivandrum to book a Punto . But things were never favorable for me at that time & I had to drop the plan. By 2010 Nov I desperately wanted to buy a diesel hatch as my petrol expenses were running way too high because of my Wagon R's low mileage & the car had all those rattles & irritating sound from here & there . I fixed my budget to 6 Lakhs & I wanted to buy a diesel hatch within 6 Lakh. My options were Swift D or Ritz D & even though punto was there to my like , there were some concerns which held me back. They are 1) As punto was having more turning radius when compared to UNO, I was wondering whether I could take it to my garage without hitting my neighbors walls. Getting to my garage is kind of 'L' shape road accompanied by a steep incline & I have to take reverse all the way to the garage 2) I was under the impression that Punto was a costly hatch & no way it was going to match my budget. I had almost finalised Ritz with ABS model & before closing the deal I just wanted to have a final opinion from a good friend of mine who was working there for an automobile dealer. His opinion was I should take a test drive of both cars before finalising the deal . I never did TD on Ritz as there was no TD vehicle with the dealer. I was also aware of the issues with Ritz. But for me I didnt have much options. My friend called up someone & within 15 mins a TD punto was near my house. It was an exotica red punto & I was like :-o. I couldnt get my eyes off the beauty . So my 1st herculean task was to check if I can park her to my garage. The car go into my garage much easier than I expected & it was much much easier than my UNO. I was wondering whether there was any difference in the spec with respect to turning radius. My wife & my parents started enjoying the exotica red beauty in my garage & they were all having a brief viewin & out. So my major concern was over and next comes the "M" factor. I asked the SA to workout the pricing & he gave me price of Emotion & Emotion Pk. I was again shocked to see the price of Emotion after discount. I could get myself a punto for just around 30 k extra compared to Ritz. It was like oh God am I going to fulfill my dream :dance. So the car was booked & after having so issues with the Loan section, I finally got the loan cleared & got my car on 30th Dec 2010.

The car is still running as good as new & I am enjoying each day of my drive with my Punto . I did my 1yr service @ 13,500 kms & got a whopping bill of 6,713 Rs. The main reason being they have put Mobil 1 full synthetic oil instead of Selenia.

On my baby's 1st b'day, I gifted her a Fiat Keyring & Fiat air valve, did a good wash & gave a good coat of wax. I am not saying that I never had any issues with my punto, but all those issues are forgotten once you take her for a ride. As of now all the issues remain solved except a slight wobling in slower speed which can be rectified only on changing 2 tires. The JK ones are really pathetic. Here are few snaps of the b'day baby.

3 people like this.
  2. hello cinju, wish you puntoing many more years ahead. whenever my punto starts showing some niggles, I get disappaointed, BUT when behind the steering wheel, I will fall in love with her again. AMAZING A CAR IT IS...
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

@Dr.Thank you very much for your wishes. You too have a great New Year.:up
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Cinju bhai , the Punto is looking killer. Hats off !

Wishing you safe and joyful miles with the Punto. :)
  5. clash81

clash81 Regolare

the car looks awesome. Wishing you many more miles with your punto!! :D
  6. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

informative update...and nice pics. Congrats.

Happy New Year and wishing you many memorable and happy moments with your Punto.
  7. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

@guru thanks for the compliment. It took around 5hrs + for the enitre job & that too by hand. Washing, clay bar, scrath removal, Glaze & finally a light coat of carnuaba wax. Wishing you a wonderful new year ahead. Drive safe.

@Clash81 Thank you very much. My hand is still aching because of y'days hard work.

@nbvcrao Thanks . Wishing you too a very happy new year.
  8. mescotc

mescotc Amatore

Boisar , Tarapur

great going & wishing you many more miles ahead.

BTW your car looks gr8

9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.2
    The Punto is looking awesome, so share with us the ownership review of it...
  10. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Thanks a lot Atul & Tony.
    Tony Bhai what more review do you expect from me :confused1? I am really bad in writing.