1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Com Paint Discussion

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by chsekharbabu, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    Hi,

Any one who have used the compaint Value pack on their car ? not on the mirrors but on the actual body. Me and my friend bought compaint together. Mine was ER red for punto and my friend got the cocktail green one for his beat. He tried fixing a scratch last saturday and turned out real ugly. He had a scratch on the door which he filled with com-fill and then tried painting it. He said that if done from too near, the spray will not be even and if done from the distance as instructed in the manual, spray gets diverted due to the wind as he was doing it outside his home. Immediatly after painting, he sprayed the com-merge and he was telling that paint was like washed out !!!. I am yet to do the try this so wanted a confirmation and best practices from people who have actually tried it.

I did see a thread on Rajan sir painting the ORVMs, but when it comes to the whole car, I am afraid that other factors like dust, wind etc might adversely affect the end result.
  2. Loucon

Loucon

Bengaluru
    Link please. I searched and I am not able to find it :confused
  3. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai

Will find it and give before that we have one from DRIV3R. He did it on the body of car itself. Luckily his car is a BNW.

http://www.teamfiat.co.in/do-yourse...h-up-using-com-paint-any-paint-spray-can.html

- - - Merged Post - - -

Now I know why my friend messed it up !!!!

As per DRIV3R, com-merge is a thinner and should be used only to remove excess paint after the paint is completely dried up. but see what the instructions on Compaint website says :A

SHAKE Com-Paint CAN VIGOROUSLY UNTIL AGITATOR BALL MOVES FREELY. Hold Can straight 25 cms ( 12” ) from the surface. SPRAY IN STROKING MOTION TO AVOID DRIPPING. Apply light coats rather a heavy one which might make paint to sag & run. Wait for 5 minutes between coats.
    Immediately, after completion of spray paint application, spray Com-Merge - Finishing Solvent on the outer periphery of the touched up area in order to let the paint overspray re-dissolve and merge with the surrounding surface. Let the touched up area dry for 72 hrs. for full curing of the paint film.

So My friend applied thinner immediatly after painting the surface and it got washed away. I dont know whom to blame now. Compaint who have put wrong instructions on their site as well as youtube or My friend who bought a Chevy Beat looking for a better mileage over Punto who does not have any supportive forum to guide him on these kind of DIY's. :evilsmile
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

@Iluvpunto: I have had both success and failure from COM-Paint.

Please ensure the following:

• You should hold the can 18-20 cms away from the panel you are painting, perpendicularly
    • Spray in a L-R fashion and the paint should just spray and stick to the surface, if you hold the can too near, the paint drips and the coat also thickens, thereby changing the final outcome and shade
    • Mask the other areas properly
    • Choose a place with no cross winds and dust
    • Spray COM-Merge only around the periphery of the painted surface
    • After 2 days of painting, give it a nice rubbing polish and wax

Mettalic shades are a bit more difficult to match and finish. Professional polishing atleast is required.
  5. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai

I am sure to get mine correct now with your support DRIV3R. I still cant think of my friend spraying com-merge to the freshly painted surface thinking it will give the perfect finish. Poor guy wasted full can of paint on just a small scratch and has become even uglier than the scratch itself. Does small scratches require whole can of this ?
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Not at all. If bare metal is exposed, you can use COM-Paint, else it is better given a rubbing polish.

You can try their pen for small deep scratches. Spray painting for a small scratch requires very less paint. You would hardly use 4-5 puffs in less than 10 seconds.
    1 person likes this.
  7. Iluvpunto

Iluvpunto Amatore

Chennai
    I was planning to touch up the front bumper as it houses lot of scratches due to moron bikers trying to do zig-zag in the traffic signals. Few deep scratches aswell is there so will get it tested coming weekend.

Hopefully I dont screw it up as my Friend did. I did look for the pen but the ER colour pen not available in their stock at all. And also I wasted around 300 rs on Dr Fixit Scratch remover pen and got embarassed myself for buying such a third rate product.
  8. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

I can help you out if am free. Buzz me your number later.
  9. pdydeva

pdydeva Regolare

India
    Patience is the key thing when it comes to spray painting for a beginner.
    I messed up for the first time and then took the recommended approach. Hold the can 15-20 cms away and spray it in puffs for 2 or 3 times and then let that coat dry for 5 mins before going for next round. Spraying too close or in excess will definitely start dripping or form bubble marks.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Jinto

Jinto Timido

Bangalore
    I also tried to fix one scratch in my Exotica red Punto. Com-Paint's color is exact match. After that I tried polishing by applying Com Cut followed by F1 Liquid wash. But not able to get satisfying polishing by myself. You can see the place where i did the painting(cos, that is the least noticeable place).
    CameraZOOM-20140426121044312.jpg
    My car have some more scratches(behind those news papers :)), but after seeing the result, am a bit reluctant to apply it on the remaining.

Or is there a way to make it right
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014