1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

CNG : Pro's and Con's

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by shashanknathani, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Hey Shashank,

Welcome to Delhi. So was hyderabad not taxing as far as petrol costs were related? Are you doing long trips in Delhi?

Abt CNG, The CNG as a fuel is dry. And to lessen the burden on the engine, Sequential kits are more successful than the conventional ones. Getting a kit done and then getting it endorsed on ur (I believe) AP regd vehicle would also be huge task. . Ur vehicle maintenance and oil consumption would also increase on CNG. From purely fuel quality point of view LPG is better than CNG, but the auto LPG pumps are far too less so not an alternative at present. And the long q's at the gas station and then getting 1.5-2kg gas because of less pressure is a big irritant.
  2. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    vahan i dont know the exact price of cng but it is around 32 34/kg. in a car like linea it would come around something less than 2rs/km. santro etc cost 1.5 while sx4, city linea around 2rs.
    axn i agree that cng is a dry gas and affects the engine. but i differ that lpg is better than cng. lpg has better power than cng but cng is the cleanest fuel. better than petrol.
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    CNG vs Petrol

Here you go....

CNG seems to come out cheaper & beneficial in financial terms & breaks -even at about 22K kms. In case of conventional kit, it could break-even at lesser kms.

Shashank - It depends on your monthly usage (no. of kms) & how long do you want to keep this car before next upgrade. Check out the calculations & decide.

Petrol vs CNG.JPG
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  4. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    vahan theres a correction to be made in your calculation table. cng cost is 34 but its for a kg and not liter. if we calculate cng then it will return around 20 km/kg. one kg= 1.8ltrs(approx)
    so in kgs your mileage is around 20
    in ltrs your mileage is around 12-13.
    in basic terms a full cng tank (big 12kgs) can hold 9-10 kgs of gas which costs 340rs, will run at least 180 kms. so running cost is 1.8rs/km. so here goes the new table:
    CONSIDERING THE MILEAGE OF 14 IN PETROL IT WILL COST 4.4RS/KM
    AND CNG WILL COST YOU 2rs MAX.
    SO THE BREAKEVEN POINT IS REACHED AT 12500KMS.
  5. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Hi Buddy, Doing good here.... As of now i have not faced any problem with the AP Registration car... I even see a lot of AP09, AP10 and AP28 cars over here... Here petrol is on a cheaper side but the distances are killing... It takes 30+kms to reach office where as in Hyd i can roam around whole Hyderabad in 30kms.... I am using company's transport and missing the Punto driving days... Car is parked almost all week and i get to drive it a bit on weekends...

Thanks Sir for the welcome... I am looking forward to meeting you all at the next NCR meet...
    I want to drive it to my office daily but that is not possible givne that i have the petrol car and distance of 30+kms... You are right in terms of approvals and all for CNG... If i have to get it done have to get everything done illegally... I never knew that CNG would cost 50K, as most of the people told me that a kit is around 22K, but that was conventional.... Now since i understood the difference between the sequential and conventional CNG kits, the idea of getting CNG kit done is going in dust slowly slowly :D...

Since my car is AP registered and is under Loan, i cannot get it transferred to Delhi easily and thus cannot sell it here...So I have plans to keep it for another 3 years.

Keeping it for 3 years and driving in NCR made me think about CNG...

By the way i am close to reaching 30K mark and wanna get it serviced... Can you suggest me a good SC.
  6. anish_707

anish_707

Delhi
    break even at 12500km...cool...one more reason
  7. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    Shashank,

I go to ELegant motors for the service and other issues. It is in East Delhi. you can find the address from website. In case of any help needed pls do not hesitate to call me on 9818430549.
  8. anish_707

anish_707

Delhi
    have put a mail to fiat regardin the kit...lets c wat they have 2 say
  9. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Yeah interesting point to be mailed to FIAT, lets wait for the answer from the house.
  10. anish_707

anish_707

Delhi
    they replied manufacturer dont support the idea since car goes out of warranty