1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

CNG : Pro's and Con's

Discussion in 'Modifications & Tuning' started by shashanknathani, Apr 11, 2011.

1. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

After driving my car for few days in NCR, i have decided to go for either CNG or stop driving the car on regular basis.... Driving a Petrol vehicle in NCR is too expensive....

I would require some experts comments on how CNG will perform in Punto 1.2 Petrol and what all will be void of warranty....

My car is 18 months old and done 25K on the odo....
  2. anish_707

even i have a petrol linea...
    cost of petrol have even forced me to think about alternate option.
    i have enquired about it,there are basically 2 types of kits available...coventional and sequential kits.
    sequential kits are more advanced and costs around 50k...conventional kit willl cost around 25k.
    sequential kit,the guys at cng experts advised wont lead to power loss and performance .i have friends who have put cng in punto,but no linea so.
    the shopvaala said they have installed kits in linea and can give thier contact number,so that i can enquire about its performance.
    now i m really confused since ppl generally advise against cng kits,the problems they create in long runs,resale value,more wear and tear.
    valuable suggestions are welcome...
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    What about the car warranty? Dont we have detachable CNG kits... :)
  4. Dilip_dmk

Dilip_dmk Superiore

Delhi, India
    New Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I had already enquired about this to Fiat , and they replied that the engine warranty would be void .
    Also Fiat has no plans to launch any CNG kit in the near future !!
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

It is always better to change the car to one which suits your needs better ( read - more km's per litre of fuel ) rather than forcing an engine to run on something it wasn't designed to run on.

6. anish_707

my car is already out of the warranty...its not a big deal since every other car owner is doing it.
    moreover its meant to be run on cng,otherwise manufacturers wouldnt have given that option...
    yes...detachable kits are available....conventional kits....performance drops in that case.
  7. anish_707

my only concern is the after effects if any....
    cars on delhi roads mostly run on either cng or diesel...ppl cant afford to run cars on petrol @59rs/litre.most ppl just buy petrol cars and park it outside thier houses for the heck of it.....or just drive under 1000km a month...
    cng is readily available in delhi...then why not LINEA....suggestions always welcomed...
    sequential kit at cng experts is costing me around 50k,3500 bucks for rc
  8. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Can you help me with the shop details....
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  9. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    i have driven a both the linea and punto on cng at the SC. i had cng on my mind since the day i bought the car. i had read a lot abt the pros and cons of cng.

pros: cng is a clean fuel than petrol. leaves no residue in the engine unlike petrol. its octane is much higher than petrol so no knocking (cng 120octnae).
    requires less oil changes. longer spark plug life.
    cons: long queues, power loss, add. weight, hot for the engine.

and as far as resale is concerned i will only be a benefit. usually second hand car buyers prefer alternative fuel for low running costs. it is an added benefit for petrol cars.
    regarding sequential kits, they are costly and recovering the cost will take a long time. its better to use petrol then. conventional kits makes better sense.
  10. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

In Mumbai, it's Rs. 62-63 / Litre !!
    And I drive my Petrol Linea minimum 64 kms daily (Resi-Office-Resi.) at an FE of about 10 kmpl !!!

Having said that, there are 2 important factors regarding CNG which I think were already mentioned in above posts - 1) It'll reduce the pickup & 2) Queues at Petrol Pumps & frequent visits to Petrol Pumps due to small tank.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011