1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch starts disengaging only when pedal is close to the floor

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Crazy_Eddy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    even my Linea MJD march 2009, 56000 kms recently developed some winding noise from front which disappears when clutch pressed.problem clutch release bearing.the noise now is faint and can be heard only in the first gear in a quiet place.But the process of wear has started an soon I have to replace the clutch.Kindly advise how long can I go on with this clutch with the bearing noise developed.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  2. ravindra

ravindra

Chennai
    Yesterday while driving near AMM Matriculation School in Kotturpuram, Chennai suddenly near the signal my Punto 1.4 Emotion came to halt. The clutch pedal did not pop up again after I had pressed. I did not know what had happened. As my car was purchased in Bangalore I called the 24 hr help line of Concorde Motors and he gave me a number of Chennai. That guy who said his workshop is in Siruseri gave me another number which was of Tafe Reach, Greams Road. I called the guy and first he said that the car has to be towed away, I said whatever has to be be done has to be done as I cannot stand in the middle of the road being cursed by other drivers. It was very strange to see mostly the drivers of Taxis staring at me and giving a look that as if I had parked my car just to enjoy the traffic chaos it was creating. No one came to my rescue, finally I had to call my office Driver from Tidel Park to come and push the car to the side of the road.

The guy came after 1 1/2 hours with the spare part and in the meantime he called me and told he can fix it on the spot, provided he gets the spares. Initially he told that it shall take nearly 1 hour, anyways 1 1/2 hours was reasonable. It took another 1/2 hour for him to replace the CSC (is it the same which is fitted below the battery compartment). As my car has not completed two years he did not charge anything.

He informed me that this was a known issue with Punto / Linea petrol and why it was not fixed when I had given it for service at VST Motors. I could not answer him as I did not know that this was a known issue and FIAT had ordered to replace the original assembly.

Service was good and he requested me to give it for the next service that is due in first week Janaury to TAFE Reach. What is your experience with TAFE Reach ? Kindly share. If already shared kindly give me the link. But for this, my two years experience with my car is excellent and without any issues.
  3. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    Great he came on the spot for the service.If ur CSC is with plastic internal it need to be upgraded with a steel one.I got it done in extended warranty around in 49000 kms although the plastic one was still ok but clutch little erractic in hardness.
  4. ravindra

ravindra

Chennai
    Yes it was a plastic one. I did feel the hardness and I was just wondering why the clutch was so hard. I had difficult times while I was caught in a Traffic Jam, my left leg would start aching by pressing the clutch often to change the gear. Now after the replacement the clutch seems to be smooth. However the mechanic has advised me to ask for a clutch overhaul when I give the car for the third free service.
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    overhaul.how old is ur car and whts ur total running.My Linea has run 56000 Kms and would require clutch change may be in next 2000 kms as I can hear the clutch release berating noise.I dont know about chennai traffic but Bombay traffic is regular use u can say abuse of clutch
  6. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Clutch was replaced in my Punto (Cluth plate, pressure plate and release bearing). Total came to around 6.5K. Clutch has become super light now. Cant imgaine how hard it was earlier and I was not realizing that cluth pedal had also become hard in addition to hard gearhsifts. Now clutch pedal needs only a touch to go down :). I am attching some photos of the old clutch. The pressure plate looks like it had been bitten all over. Wondering how that can happen. Clutch plate looks fine for me. Release bearing , I am not so sure. Experts please pitch in with your opinions

IMG_7103.jpg
    IMG_7104.jpg

One side of pressure plate
    IMG_7105.jpg
    IMG_7107.jpg

Other side of pressure plate
    IMG_7109.jpg
    IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_7112.jpg
    IMG_7113.jpg
    IMG_7114.jpg
    IMG_7115.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    You've interchanged the names of the clutch and pressure plates mate. :)

The plate on which marks can be seen is the clutch plate, and the other one is the pressure plate. The marks seem normal to me. They are there to increase friction and provide more "biting" power. Even the new one would've had them.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  8. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Oops my bad :(. Gurjinder bhai - Does any replaced part looks out of normal for you? Clutch and gear shift has become absolutely smooth now :)
  9. Axn

Axn Regolare

Delhi
    @soccerfan,

ur clutch plates look fine.
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    even I will be soon going from clutch change in my linea as release bearing has started screaming for change although softly presently.Its always wise to change at the early sign of wear out as the change has to be done later and more ever u can start enjoying the smoothness after the change early.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2011