1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch starts disengaging only when pedal is close to the floor

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Crazy_Eddy, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    .. and gears - particularly the 1st and reverse - are hard to engage as a result.

Its a Linea 1.4 Petrol.

VST Chennai, said the clutch is gone. But the clutch isn't slipping.
    Concorde say 90% the hydraulic system is bust, so the MSC/CSC needs to be replaced. Sounds more likely.

I thought there might be some adjustment, since I had a similar issue with gears being difficult to engage a year or two back. At that time Concorde popped the hood, bled the hydraulic system and did something else and it seemed fine. Now everyone seems reluctant to adjust it saying its self adjusting and can't be adjusted.

Any idea what could be the issue?
    On a side note, what is the lifespan of the Linea's clutch? We've clocked about 51K Kms so far.

Thanks in advance :)
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It is due to faulty Clutch Slave Cylender. Same case was of one GP 1.4.

The problem solved after replacing CSC. If problem persist then replace complete Clutch Assly.
  3. thats pretty good mileage done.
    looks like your clutch is gone really..
    try to get it bled outside once and see if it helps.
    or go to another service center and ask for advice.

we exactly dont have the numbers of clutch life, the life also depends on the driving style
  4. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    Thanks, will do :)

We have a driver driving, and his driving style isn't too good. I would've thought the clutch would have worn out first rather than fail to disengage.
    But if 50K Kms is close to the average lifespan of the clutch, then I guess it would make sense changing it pro-actively as well.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  5. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    Just thought I should update this:
    It was the clutch - specifically the pressure plate. Changing the MSC/CSC didn't help. Changed the clutch + pressure plate and its been smooth and light ever since.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  6. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    In recent weeks gear shift in my Punto has become very hard. Downshifting to 2nd and 4th is very difficult and the reverse gear almost always makes a krrr sound when I try to engage it after starting (This happened very rarely earlier). I had already changed the CSC to metal one. What could be the issue?
  7. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    The grinding in the reverse gear indicates the clutch disc isn't being released completely (under normal conditions you need to wait a second after pressing the clutch pedal to engage reverse as well).
    Its the pressure plate. Since you've done roughly 40K Kms, you might as well change your clutch disc too. Parts are usually about 2k, labour should be another 2~3k.

Couldn't hurt to check brake fluid levels too.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  8. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    SA said it might be the Pressure plates. Costs around 3.5K including labour. Order has been placed for the part. He said will update next week. lets see.
    But isnt clutch supposed to last for around 60-70K kms? I dont ride the clutch and wonder why it can waer out in 40k kms
  9. Crazy_Eddy

Crazy_Eddy Novizio

Chennai
    Yep the clutch should last longer, but in my case since the clutch wasn't being disengaged fully due to the pressure plate and we were slow to get it fixed.. the clutch got worn out as well. You can have a look at your clutch when its opened up and decide how much life is left.
    Usual advice is to just change the clutch once its opened, since labour tends to be the most expensive part of working on it.
  10. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    My Linea MJD 2009 has completed 55600 Kms but the clutch still going great guns.I got the CSC changed to metal one around 5 months back.The previous plastic one went on for 50000 kms without any problem .It was still ok but I got it changed under extended warranty as little hardness felt and erratic behavior. After the changed the clutch become ok.I think it all depended upon the driving style that how much time the clutch will last.Patience drivers may extend the life of the clutch.