1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch slave cylinder thread

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by nishweth, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ajit_nair_77

Hopefully this is not off topic,
    Had been to the service center yesterday for the first free service and i had raised up an issue that there is some amount of stiffness while shifting gears and a squeaky noise while pressing/ depressing the clutch. Even after servicing is done the above 2 problems still persists, any idea what might be the problem. Also, for TJET what kind of CSC does it have ?
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    One thing I oberved about clutch paddle of Petrol fiat cars is that
    Everytime I visited dealer I always check the smoothness of clutch paddle of new cars kept in showroom and the premises of dealer.

I found that clutch paddle of petrol Punto,Linea & T-jet is noticable hard as compared to diesel cars.
    In addition to that I found squeaky noise also while pressing/ depressing the clutch.

I did not find not a single new petrol car having butter smooth clutch paddle like MJD.
    So my conclussion is that there is some design error in clutch system of petrol fiat cars.
    FIAT should do more R & D on this issue
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  3. fiatlover

fiatlover Esperto

Grande Punto 1.4
    May not be really true. My punto's clutch got slightly hard after the first few months. But after the CSC replacement, it became butter smooth or perhaps smoother than a diesel version. I have tested this on friend's diesel punto.
    Unlike many others who use "half-clutch" or hesitate to depress the clutch fully, I am one who depress clutch fully to shift gear. I never faced a problem related to clutch in the last two years.
    As I always say, a lot depends on how you treat the car. One of my friends has a WagonR, whose clutch plate had to be replaced within two years, the main reason he himself admits is that he unknowingly used the clutch pedal as foot rest also! This cost him dearly. When you drive with your foot on the clutch pedal, there is every possibility that the clutch gets applied intermittently without your knowledge, when it is not required at all.
  4. Maverickxx2006

Maverickxx2006 Amatore

When I visited TASS for my clutch jerking problem, I checked the clutch of new petrol and diesel cars. I too found that clutch of MJD was relatively smoother. Also, the travel was less in MJD.

In fact my car(MJD) surges forward even after release of slight clutch. So I have to be very careful during traffic. Whereas in petrol car which I took TD, I found that unless you release the clutch fully the car does not move.
  5. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    that is in fact true. my uncles mjd's clutch is smoother than my fire. that is a fact.
  6. aarenes

Guys - I have a September 2009 Punto MJD E+.
    I took my car for the 3rd free service yesterday and the service advisor (SA) insisted that the CSC had to be replaced. I told him when I came there twice, the SAs had checked with the database and my car was not required to undergo the change. The SA insisted again that the FIAT has advised all plastic CSCs to be replaced with metal one under warranty - period. I am hoping this is fine and all other Punto owners are going through the same.

I also ended up reading about the AC kit replacement but assume that is for Petrol only.
    What about the Butyl Pad Fiber upgrade required for Blue and Me. Did the SAs advised about this or should I demand one.

Please confirm. appreciate it.

I tried to login into the forum yesterday but couldn't due to password issues.
  7. keshav

I own Sep 2009 Punto MJD E. Clutch Slave cylinder was replaced recently. You should also get it replaced, there will be no issues. Few owners were stranded on road as the Plastic CSC gave up.
  8. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    My July 2009 Punto's CSC was replaced during the first service in August / September 2009. Off late, I am noticing that slotting the car into fifth is difficult. I have a Wednesday appointment with the dealer and I am going to ask him to change the CSC. Let's see how it goes.
  9. vivek_lko

vivek_lko Amatore

Hi ,
    I would be going soon for 2nd service for my 90hp Punto June 2010 model . How do I know if there is a plastic or a metallic CSC ? Is it possible by seeing anything externally ? If its a plastic one I would get it replaced . Please let me know how to check?
  10. teky

teky Esperto

The battery has to be removed to check the CSC, the service center guys should be able to check it. If it changed you must be able to see it mentioned in the bill albeit the charges will be zero.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk