1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch replacement - TATA OEM on Punto MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by whitepunto76, Aug 15, 2015.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks a lot for suggestions given. It was indeed good info.
    Finally booked service slot with KHT on Saturday. Will get the clutch replacement done and post the experience.
  2. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Latest update. Did the clutch replacement done at KHT today. Its took close to 5 hours to perform complete removing and refitting. During the removal process, got checked Master & Slave cylinders. Both are in good conditions. No issues. There was a crack in Link Rod (C-type) mount. Got it replaced. Also, got the WA & WB done in KHT. Drove the car and clutch has very good bite in selection of gears. Slotting gears have become effortless and smooth. Overall a positive improvement and am happy. KHT service is good. Even though its sunday, the technician worked pretty calm and detailed out all the process. It is a tedious task on clutch replacement process.
    Really felt happy seeing the silver finished flywheel. No burns or scratches. No visible damage to Pressure plate/Clutch plate or thrust bearing. However, checked out the springing action was not working as expected and it had worn out. Technician was eager to explain the details and its working.

High level Steps performed-
    1. Removal of Engine cap/upper pipes/hoses
    2. Removal of Battery
    3. Removal of front wheels/brake calipers
    4. Removal of Track Rod ends/ Lower ball joints
    5. Removal of mounts of driver shaft/sub-frame
    6. Support the engine upper block with heavy steel bar to hold in position
    7. Remove sensors around the gear box & gear oil drained
    8. Remove the gearbox from the engine set
    9. Voila!! There is the Clutch/Pressure plate.
    10. Clean lot of brown dust collected around the flywheel due to friction effect
    11. Clutch set was hot to hold as well. Removed and checked the spring
    12. Sand paper cleaning, greasing of drive shaft. Cleaned with Wruth Spray
    13. Got the new clutch kit - Valeo Make
    14. Fitted the release bearing to the lever to check the action
    15. greased the surface
    16. Cleaned the Flywheel. It had mirror finish with no burn marks or deep scratches
    17. Fitted the clutch kit with the alignment tool
    18. It took 4 people to refit the gearbox back. Same people to remove it earlier
    19. refitting all the hoses/sensors/mounts
    20. Refilled back the gear oil & finally other components till the engine cap
    21. Found a crack in the Link Rod Mount. Replaced this mount
    22. Brake pedal had some noise. Corrected that as well

Wheel Alignment & Wheel Balancing -
    Seems like the earlier slight left pull is gone. Car is perfectly straight.

Driving Exp-
    After the replacement, took the test drive and gears were immediately smooth. No hinderances. Slots the gears really well.
    No too much strain in pressing the clutch. Infamous super soft Punto Clutch gave much confidence. Vibrations of steering wheel has come down. Overall satisfied. Thanks to KHT technicians.

Pic 1 - Old Pressure Plate
    Pic 2 - Old Clutch plate and thrust bearing
    Pic 3 - Flywheel
    Pic 4 - Gear box Bell Housing
    Pic 5 - New Clutch Kit - Valeo

Old-PressurePlate.jpg

Old-Clutch_n_ReleaseBearing.jpg

Flywheel.jpg

GB-BellHousing.jpg

New_Clutch_kit.jpg
    Iyu, anoop, pdash and 3 others like this.
  3. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Your Friction plate has lot much of life left in it. Its again the Floating bearing that is creating the problem. I still can't figure out the reason why this is happening too early in Punto which are post 2012. Same wear in all clutches changed I have seen and that to below 80K. This is really worrysome. I think definitely they are compromising on quality.
    If the clutch is unable to handle 75 bhp god knows about upcoming 135 Tjet. May be the earlier launched will be capable and after 1 or 2 year same old story.
    Hope I do not run out of luck too soon.
  4. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi @whitepunto76 good to know that your white rhyno is back.

Is KHT works on sunday also?
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2016
  5. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @pradeep: KHT worked on Sunday as Saturday was holiday due to BBMP elections.

@KKAUL: I asked the same to SA and technicians. They confirm most of the puntos/lineas replace post 75-80K kms. Few of them are too early. The issue is of removing and refitting which forces us to replace the whole kit. I also felt the release bearing was worn out and no proper play. Clutch plate was good enough. But, the spring action of diaphragm was not good felt very loose.
    Probably, TJET should get Exedy Performance Clutches.
    Pradeepms likes this.
  6. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  7. kamikaze

kamikaze Timido

Bangalore
    Bumping a fairly old thread. Has anyone on this forum replaced a Linea clutch with TATA OEM clutch? any long term issues? Feedback will be helpful.

Am considering replacing my Punto 90hp clutch with a TATA Vista / Manza clutch - however, I do not want to end up with mechanical issues later.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2016
  8. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @jayadev.m4u, Kindly provide your thoughts here. Thank You.

Cheers,
    pradeep.
    kamikaze likes this.
  9. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hi Again,

I have spoken to a few long time Punto owners and they have confirmed that they did not encounter any issues till date after replacing the OEM Fiat clutch with a TATA one.
    Also you can check the complete discussion on this thread for more details.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    kamikaze likes this.
  10. kamikaze

kamikaze Timido

Bangalore
    Thanks Pradeep and others for your replies. For what its worth, I did some more research on this and a couple of points for consideration (this could help other members):
    1. Fiat OEM clutch design has been updated post the EVO release - Vecto SAs informed me that this user feedback on low clutch life has been taken into account - so we can expect a better clutch life from the new design
    2. Cost difference between Tata and Fiat clutch kits is around 1.5k

Considering the 2 factors above, have gone in for a Fiat clutch replacement.
    PradeepM and carl_jhonson like this.