1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch replacement - TATA OEM on Punto MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by whitepunto76, Aug 15, 2015.

1. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vIjAy_kHaSa
    Thats good if they are using the same design but in general Tata uses a different clutch setup in its other vehicles (not sure about the cars with Fiat engine)
    I am amazed to see that you quoted the price at 4200 in my opinion that is whopping high because the total kit if bought from outside market may not exceed 2000 (will definitely search when needed)
    Exhaust disconnection: It was done to make more space for removal of the gearbox part since it was done manually.

@whitepunto76

Better would be if you could have a visual inspection of both and find the difference in quality.
  2. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    May be chennai tfians can help us.. By contacting valeo guys in chennai and asking them the difference between tata and fiat clutches... :)
    Coming to the point.. IMO quality might differ... Fiat's spec may be of good quality (am talking in general)
  3. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Pradeepms

As far as quality is concerned my confidence is quite shaken having part failure too often.They are more or less on the same bandwagon as tata and I think I might have to start developing the sourcing for each and every part
    Pradeepms likes this.
  4. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    The clutch assy spec also varies according to the vehicle weight, gearing and load on the transmission. Very few components are a straight fit among brands. Also most important is the volume of clutch assys the OEM gets to manufacture for the car model. With low volume sales for Fiats,, the OEM will definitely charge more for manufacturing Fiat spec clutches and to add to that Fiat will also have a say in the final price based on the service intervals and overheads of the FASC.

Abdul
    whitepunto76 likes this.
  5. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    So, from recent posts if I have to conclude the TATA OEM Quadrajet Clutch Kit and Punto MJD Clutch kit have same dimensions and design. Is this correct assumption? Still wondering on the price.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 18, 2015 ---
    Also, if the valeo clutch is same why is that Quadrajet have harder clutch and Punto has softest clutch. Just curious
  6. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76
    The clutch plate or the bearing might be same but the master and slave cylinder might be different and their operating pressure will be different. If they are same then the shifter length to fulcrum ratio will make the difference. You can understand it by simple principle that the longer the distance btwn fulcrum to applying load the less input is needed to lift the load but the travel will increase to lift it to same amount.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

The Puntos clutch travel is asssisted by the Slave cylinder and hence easier to press. I am not sure of the quadrajet TATA car.

Abdul
  8. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I suppose tata might also have slave cyl otherwise to apply that much of load from 1 cylinder will be a lot of pain not sure on TATA anything is possible with them.If the travel is more in punto than tata then definately the shifter length
  9. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    As far as I remember, I did not see any difference in the clutch kit of Palio Mjd and Tata Vista, Same size, thickness etc. Both were Diaphragm type and the design of diaphragm also is same. The Swift ddis Clutch had a different diaphragm design.

The Clutch hardness/smoothness, is due to cylinder design. and the earlier gen Swift and Vista used Cable operated clutch.

Pics are in this thread. http://www.myfiatworld.in/showthrea...ependent-Garage&highlight=clutch failed Palio

Separate Clutch Plate is not available. the Clutch kit = Clutch Plate + Pressure Plate. In my case, only the Pressure Plate had given away, the clutch seemed to be pretty new. But had to change as a pair,
    The Suspension and the axle were disconnected for the Gearbox to come out.
    whitepunto76 and vIjAy_kHaSa like this.
  10. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @KKAUL u mean to say... we can use tata clutch in fiat?