1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch replacement - TATA OEM on Punto MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by whitepunto76, Aug 15, 2015.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Great info.
    Sujit, Can you post your experience of clutch hardness of Quadrajet?
    Clutch response at various RPMs? Any issues you faced till now?
    Was it a direct fitment? Any alteration required?

Also, I am also hearing that after clutch replacement we need to perform wheel alignemnt & balancing. Is this true?
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 17, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 17, 2015 ---
    @Sujit: Also, why did you not go for Punto Clutch instead? Just curious.
  2. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    Was a direct fit .. I don't see any difference in hardness. It is as stiff,hard as my old clutch.. Typical old vs new clutch feel.. Bite is good. And I don't see any changes at 25k kms as well . . mind you this is a palio mjd. And later I came to know the punto clutch also could be fitted to palio . so it should be a straight fit for your car as well
  3. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Thanks Sujit. So, the clutch travel is long or little short. Mostly, I will be going to get Punto Clutch from KHT and fit from them. Thats the safest for now.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 17, 2015, Original Post Date: Aug 17, 2015 ---
    Forgot to mention one more item. My Extended warranty is void as I have used separate engine oil and got serviced outside for 2 services (30K & 45K). Even if this is the case, will KHT/Vecto agree to do clutch replacement. Need to check.
    I have extended warranty till Nov 2015. Will any of the labour/parts cover in this if I go for FASS service.
  4. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76

If the warranty is void then whats the use of sticking to FASS. Do not go for TATA clutch will be harder. The FIAT clutch is valeo made buy it from outside and get it fitted outside. Short of time but will share some startling facts about clutch issue 2morrow which will help you guage the extreme poor quality and why its get spoiled too early.
    whitepunto76 likes this.
  5. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3

@whitepunto76 do u know anybody personally in kht, am planning my next service in kht and am coming from mysore..... So dont want to take any new problems.... :)
  6. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @KKAUL definitely need your inputs and insight on clutch issues. Looking forward for those pointers.
    @Pradeepms Its been 1.5 yrs since I have visited any FASS for service. I have taken help for General Servicing from Vecto as I knew Surendra Jain/Ajay. But, even these good technicians have left Vecto for their own good. Dont know where are these folks now.
    Lately, have been discussing with Satish SA/Sharanappa SM at KHT. They are responding positively. But, have not taken any services from them till now.
    I am good to get my punto serviced at Pride Cars, BSK 2nd Stage. Till now no major issues and all servicing happens infront of my eyes.
    I devout complete one day for this service only.
    Pradeepms likes this.
  7. anoop

anoop Superiore

Slightly OT in this thread, but I have been servicing my car at KHT Whitefield for 2 years now and have been happy with regular service. What I have found positive about them (other than their work) is, the management is very accessible and is always available to us, if we need them.
    Do check out the KHT thread for more details.

--Anoop
    Pradeepms likes this.
  8. KKAUL

KKAUL Amatore

delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76

Had visited FASS for my 50 K service and just stumbled upon a Punto which had done around 66K and was undergoing clutch change. Just checked its condition for clutch and was amazed to see that the friction plate had not worn out even half of it life and was in very good condition.asked the mechanic why was he changing the clutch and he just smiled and showed me the transfer bearing and I was shocked to see how it had worn. Just then I had a closer look at the clutch and following were my observations.
    1) The clutch is not coil spring type but it is a diaphram type clutch this is what it make it different from brands like LUK which we find in Tata
    2) The bearing and the Diaphram are prone to wear because the contact are is too small made up of lubricating material like Phosphor bronze , Gunmetal.In my opinion it should have been Berelliyum copper or may be a much stronger material
    3) The Diaphram spring is the main reason we have softer clutch action and low life.
    4) Its Valeo made and I think should be easily available in South because they are chennai based.
    5) Seeing the clutch its is too small in no condition it should cost more than 1500 ruppees though changing it is quite hell of a job as compared to other cars as you have to remove the exhaust and the suspension setup to access the clutch area.
    6) Try outside for Valeo make if you are over with warranty but do replace it in a good work shop.

One thing be very clear with these kind of clutch that if you engage gears without full depressing the pedal there life will be much shorter as compared to other car clutch with compression spring setup
    Iyu and punto_emotion like this.
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Clutch is diaphragm type in Manza/Vista QJD too.
    Exhaust does't need to be removed for changing clutch. Suspension parts require removal to disconnect axle from wheel hub.
    Valeo OEM clutch in Valeo packing was available in market for 4200/- 2 year back.
    Iyu and punto_emotion like this.
  10. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Checked with JK Auto near JC road and Shello Auto. These guys are parts suppliers to lot of TASS/MASS centers across Bangalore.
    They have Valeo Make for Quadrajet/DDiS clutch kit. It costs around 3000 including release bearing.
    Its only Fiat Valeo Clutch costing 4900 for kit and release bearing - 640. Total 5600.
    Not sure why the clutch cost is more for Fiat. Whats the difference in Valeo of MJD/Quadrajet/DDIS.
    What is that extra part that MJD clutches have costing it more than competitors.
    I suppose all of these Valeos are diaphragm type clutches only.