1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch replacement - TATA OEM on Punto MJD

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by whitepunto76, Aug 15, 2015.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Friends,

Can we use TATA OEM Indica Vista Quadrajet Clutch kit to Punto MJD.
    I observe in various threads that Puntos Clutch is Valeo make and TATA OEM is LUK make kits.
    Also found that both of these clutch kits are JV of Valeo and LUK.

Some of the professional Independent mechanics mention that TATA OEM clutch kit of Vista suits very well with Punto MJD. Any suggestions please advice.
    Pradeepms likes this.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Flywheel and clutch release bearing are same in Tata and Fiat so clutch should be interchangeable too though I am not 100% sure.
    If spare part shop have both than compare the two and take a call and if vista/manza one fits do update the thread.
  3. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Bangalore
    Harish of Pride cars told me that the TATA clutch would fit in the Punto. Since the price difference was not high ( less than 1K IIRC ) , I did not go for the TATA clutch.
  4. Pradeepms

Pradeepms Amatore

Mysore, Karanataka
    Mysore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Following....
    Is cost is too much of a difference?
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    There is price difference of about 2k. Linea/Punto kit costs 5602/- and Manza/Vista kit costs 3625/- according to 99rpm.com
    According to info available on net fiat kit is of 220 mm dia while tata kit is of 215 mm dia.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    Pradeepms and sdp1975 like this.
  6. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Actually, I called Harish yesterday and he confirmed to do Clutch replacement with TATA OEM (LUK/VALEO) for 3200 and Labour of 2000. Seems to be VFM. I checked FASS and they said to open a job card etc to buy the clutch kit. In KHT and Vecto they told for Clutch replacement + Labout it will cost 9000 rs. This also includes changing the transmission oil n Clutch fluid. KHT & Vecto were pushing to change CMC & CSC as well at one go as they will remove the complete transmission assembly.
    KHT/Vecto/TrueSai all quoted around 13-14K for Clutch Kit+CMC+CSC+Oils+Labour. Its too much as of now.

Hence, I am inclined towards just getting the clutch kit done from Pride. Also, he said he has done clutch replacement for Puntos using TATA OEM. Users have given good responses as well. Is the TATA Vista clutch hard or soft as like Punto. Not sure.

Also just to mention, my clutch play is good. No hardness or slipping. Only issue which is occurring intermittently is the hard gear shift in 1st gear, 2nd and 3rd gear. Out of 20 times, this occurs for 2-3 times.
    I am still to diagnoze whats the root problem. I did all the clutch tests as put up in forum and my clutch is as good as expected.
    Slots the gears well enough. But, there is slight hinderance in slotting gears as explained above.

BTW, will that dia makes the difference.
    Pradeepms likes this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @whitepunto76, do check the gear shifter cables also before you go for a clutch plate change.
  8. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Got the car checked with other independent mech Rajesh - Hosa Road. As per all 3 mechs, its the issue with Pressure plate.
    Few times I am also hearing the cling sound when I depress the clutch pedal fully.
    Gears are fine. Finally its the clutch kit replacement to be planned.

Now, I have to decide whether I have to risk to get TATA OEM clutch kit.
    Lately in few other forums hear that Vista clutches get harder as more mileage is clocked.
    Others mention to get the clutch replacement at FASS itself, but I hear few horror stories of Vecto/KHT screwing up clutch replacement process. Later folks have gone to independent mechs to get sroted out.

Option 1: Get the clutch kit replaced by FASS (KHT/Vecto). As its FASS there is peace of mind. Any issues, need to drive back to KHT/Vecto which are good 25-40kms from my house.
    Option 2: Get the clutch kit from KHT/Vecto OTC or 99rpm and get it fixed by independent Mech. If the parts are not assembled properly and misaligned it may create problem later. Or Should I be worried too much as these mechs are capable of doing clutch replacement
    Option 3: Get the TATA OEM clutch with independent mech as VFM. But, little risk is involved due to hardness
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Option 3 would be my choice but Option 1 is the safest.
  10. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT
    I have Tata VIsta Quadrajet 75 clutch kit (valeo) running on my Palio SDX since 25,000 Kms now.
    I had saved around 3k, as the Fiat Palio OEM was 7k+ ..
    anoop likes this.