1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

clutch query

Discussion in 'Technical' started by AmeyKhedekar, Dec 30, 2014.

1. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    Basic trouble.

Doubts regarding proper use of the clutch.

I would like you to clear doubts regarding proper application of the clutch, the difficulty regarding various conditions are.

1. What is half clutch and when should it be used?
    2. Half clutch can be used for crossing the hump on speed breakers and taking left/right turn? Or the clutch should be pressed fully down for the same/ every time ?
    3. While stopping at the red traffic lights, I hold break and clutch both with the gear in neutral, is this correct method or brake pedal can be pressed down without pressing the clutch when car is in neutral?
    4. I drive the car with my left leg hovering on the clutch, but without touching the clutch pedal , eventough I have a dead pedal to rest, because in city traffic I feel comfortable to hover my left leg on the clutch as cars ahead or pedestrians cross without thinking, so I don’t rest my left leg on dead pedal, is this how other drivers carry out ?
    5. When driving on third gear, and we shift the gear stick on 4th gear, but the gear didn’t get engaged and the car losses its speed, in this case we should re put the gear stick in 4th gear from neutral or pull over and start from N-1-2-…

Thanks and regards.
    Amey khedekar
  2. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    The purpose of clutch is to Connect/ disconnect the transmission.
    Take an analogy of an electrical switch, there is either ON or OFF.
    If you use it in midway (halfclutch), it will only cause damage.
    Adjust your seat so that you can place your foot on the dead pedal.

Rajeev
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  3. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    1 . Half clutch is when you do not release the clutch pedal fully, so that the clutch is not fully engaged with the flywheel. You would do this in a situation where releasing the clutch fully will stall the engine, so you are essentially coaxing the engine to start moving the car by applying friction between the clutch plate and the flywheel, but the clutch plate and fly wheel are not rotating at the same speed. This should be done only to get the car moving from standstill/ when you stop on an uphill climb.

2. You dont need half clutch here. You should slow down and shift to 2nd before crossing the hump, and cross the hump without pressing the clutch. If it is a badly designed hump meant for trucks and such, you might want to slow down and shift to 1st and then cross the hump. That way you have control over how fast you cross the hump. Even on a turn, shift down one (or more, depending on current speed) gear before you make the turn.

3. You dont need to keep clutch pressed in neutral, it just leads to wasting of the bearing

4. This depends on how strong and durable your left foot is and how fast your reflexes are :D There is no right and wrong here i think. Its always better to be prepared for unforeseen events.

5. Shift back to 3rd gear. You should observe what speed you are at while shifting. If its below 20kmph or so, you might want to shift to 2nd.

There is a nice explanation of the working of the clutch here : http://www.howstuffworks.com/clutch1.htm

Hope this helps!
  4. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    Although not on your list Amey but one thing I would like to add, in bumper to bumper traffic when cars are moving at damn slow speed (<10 kmph) I have seen some folks riding on clutch with car in second gear. This is completely wrong, if speed is so slow then do put car in 1st gear and keep moving with clutch fully released and no press on Accelerator pedal. Just hover your leg over brake (also known as cover the brake) and keep moving. Upshift to 2nd only when you have attained speed that is in 2nd gear working zone. On lighter note I think you must have got sore left leg many a time due to habit of always covering the clutch pedal ;). Although its safe but still not good for your body, rest your left feet either on floor (preferred by me) or on dead pedal (I use this only on highways or open roads where frequent gear changes are not needed). Believe me your left leg will thank you for changing the habit :).
    AmeyKhedekar and rajeev_pillai like this.
  5. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    thank you, thank you very much Rajiv, Selwyn and Mangesh ( again helping me before too on cartoq).
    my instructor has always told me to drive on half clutch, so i am unknowingly putting pressure on my clutch.
    and i am here not lazy to shift gears ;), i always shift up/down gears accordingly if road permits. i always drive in 1st gear after traffic lights turn green for say 10m and when the distance between front car increases i put it in 2nd gear, as i dont tailgate. but these tailgaters behind honk from behind even if we stop before the stop line and asking us to move ahead, or else their honking never stops:muted:
    thanks for the link on how stuff works.
    thank you for taking your time out to help me out, thank you again :)
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 30, 2014 ---
    i cross the hump on speed breakers on second gear with clutch fully down until the rear wheels cross the hump, i shift one gear down. but now a days i shift two down and i cross on 1st gear, with using the clutch and sometimes i need to step on accelerator if i sense the car wont be able to climb or the speed is to low to cross the speed breakers.
    selwyn.a likes this.
  6. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Try this next time,
    apply brakes seeing a speed breaker to slow down,
    when you approach it put the gear in second/ first depending upon the height and car speed and release the clutch.
    Climb the speed breaker in gear.
    When the rear wheel crosses the speed breaker accelerate.

There are some toll booths near Mumbai (example Katai Naka near Dombivili), where they have built a huge speed breaker just near to the booth. So if you stop there, there could be some difficulty to climb that even in first gear.
    There you can stop after crossing the speed breaker, though they think that you are gonna run away without paying. :D

Rajeev
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.
  7. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    I think this is fair enough, I too cross speed breakers with clutch fully pressed and a light tap on brake pedal (if needed). As Rajeev said you will need to slow down well before you hit speed breakers. I have tried negotiating speed breakers in 1st or 2nd gear with and without pressing clutch pedal but experienced that with clutch fully pressed, negotiating speed breakers is a smooth affair. With clutch fully released I felt a jerk when front wheel first hits the speed breaker and not so when encountered same breaker with clutch fully pressed. In nutshell, its your personal choice to negotiate breakers with or without clutch pedal pressed only care to take is don't keep clutch pedal hanging between extremes (riding clutch/ slipping clutch) unless required (during start-of or hill-start).
    AmeyKhedekar likes this.