1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch pedal sound

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by RaviHegde, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    May be less driving in city, less use of clutch.Nothing special I have followed.
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Today morning put 2 drops of oil on the master clutch cylinder plunger under the steering wheel and left the oil to find where to go and settle down. Warning - don't put too much oil - it will drip under the steering wheel area and mess up the carpet. Took the car out in the evening and guess what - this clutch circuit lubrication turned out to be the best thing I did to my car ever. Now I feel this clutch is not going to fail any time soon (touch wood). It costs less than a penny and makes such a big difference. Clutch is sooooo soft and smooth now ... just one step below heaven. I went one more round around the town just to feel the clutch softness and smoothness :D

I had specifically asked the SA during previous service about clutch feeling little hard. He had told this clutch has no cable, hence no possibility of lubrication. It will be ok when I change clutch. What a dumb (or smart?) SA he was. Looking at how soft and smooth it has become now I am sure whole clutch circuit from master cylinder to the slave cylinder was under stress earlier because of the excess pressure needed to disengage the clutch. I doubt this is one of the best kept secrets of clutch manufacturers. Let the clutch line get stressed naturally and fail! They will keep pocketing cost of clutch + labor.

Drip few drops of oil on the clutch circuit components once in a while. Car clutch and also your knee and hip joints will last really long.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Is oil advised as a lubricating medium? I know the effort is effective. The reason I am saying this is oil on the plunger will attract dust and grime which over the days of running will introduce foreign particles inside the clutch cylinder causing the rubber sealing to become in effective and clutch fluid to leak. This can be more dangerous during running.
    asimpleson and mangeshtendulkar like this.
  4. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Slave cylinder has a rubber sleeve around it to protect it from dust. Rest of the parts are exposed to the dust and heat of the engine bay already. I believe oil won't make it any worse! Looking at it from other perspective: dry rubbing of the parts is more harmful than lubricated from oil - isn't it? Whatever it is I am enjoying the drive for now. I will report how long it lasts and what are the side effects any.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 6, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 6, 2015 ---
    However .. I did a mistake. Thanks to @ghodlur for the warning. His caution prompted me to do more research. I found that petroleum based lubricants should not be used for the cylinder internals which has rubber parts. Silicone grease (Red Silicone Grease) should be used. Well .. in my case probably some damage has been already done. Only time will tell how much is the damage!
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
    gpunto75, ghodlur and asimpleson like this.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Update - still doing good after 10 months. Lubrication was washed during service. I again lubricated the tip of plunger and the lever. Back to shape again.
    asimpleson likes this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @RaviHegde
    Im experiencing this squeaking sound while slow release of clutch in lower gears.Other thing is that during the release of clutch im experiencing more vibrations, in slow moving traffic you can imagine how this vibrations make you feel.Recently i have changed engine mounts(A,C). Clutch is 20K kms old.
    How was your car behaviour during this squeaking sound while clutch pedel in operation ?
  7. jaggu916

jaggu916 Novizio

Coimbatore
    CHECK if your slave cylinder is plastic made, prior to 2012 all fiat's came with plastic if am not wrong. I got mine changed to metal at the insistence of SA last year...Rs. 2800...heard plastic case cylinder breaks and can be nasty if it happens on road. u will incur more towing the vehicle + heartburn. do not use oils not recommended by manufacturer. CHECK again mate. happy driving.
    Ganges likes this.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    It may also due to hard clutch. Because if clutch is hard abnormal pressure on CSC. So CSC emits this noise.
    If clutch is smooth then noise is due to noisy clutch slave cylender
    Ganges likes this.
  9. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    My car behavior was fine - I mean nothing unusual when I released the clutch except for feeling some friction when pressing/release clutch and squeaking sound. I could hear squeaking even when the windows were rolled up. Lubricating the plunger end-lever joint and the lever hinge (where it joins the clutch housing) fixed it. Squeaking sound and friction went off. I felt like moving the clutch was so smooth that I can achieve even millimeter level accuracy, very helpful while parking in tight spots. Still doing good after around 10000 kms. However, now at around 53000 kms I feel jerks sometimes when I release the clutch. Looks like clutch is not having that strong bite it used to have. Probably the clutch is telling me "excuse me" - hope it will last till next service which is around 12000 kms and one year away. I feel it will last because I don't have any other signs like mileage issues. In fact mileage increased after last service. Now in my total daily commute of 30 kms (curvy roads + 2 kms mud road leading to my farm) it is giving 18.6-18.9 kms (1.4 FIRE). I will have to probably replace the clutch if the jerks get worse or other signs of clutch wear show up.
    Ganges likes this.
  10. karaka

karaka Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.4
    IMG_20151227_155746.jpg Hi Ravi could not replicate(locate) from the picture what you have shown to what we have in our car. Because we also think we have similar issue, while holding clutch some noise come out.
    Please help.