1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Clutch pedal sound

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by RaviHegde, Feb 3, 2015.

1. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Today I noticed minor crrr...crrr sound when I press clutch pedal fully. Last bit of pedal movement makes this sound. When I traced it to the engine compartment I saw the lever shown moving back and forth (indicated by the two headed arrow). Plunger from the black cylinder presses the lever and moves it when the clutch pedal is pressed (hydraulic system I believe). I doubt lack of lubrication in contact point between the plunger and the lever or the hinged part of the lever (both indicated by single head arrows) is causing the sound. I hope it is not the beginning of the clutch giving up! Though the car has done close to 40,000 kms on stock clutch, it doesn't have any other signs of clutch problem. I am optimistic lubricating the lever and plunger joints will fix the sound. Can I use apply grease in the friction points to lubricate them? Please suggest.

clutch.jpg
    naruf1 likes this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @RaviHegde, is THIS the problem? Try the recommended solution in that.
    naruf1 likes this.
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Yup @asimpleson - you nailed it. In my case it is not that loud noise though. I have a tin of lithium based (white) grease. Will put a dab of it on the tip of the plunger. I hope that will fix it.
  4. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Try spraying those 2 points with WD40. If the noise goes away/lessens, you'll know where to do the greasing.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    No luck guys - lubricating did not help much. Pumping the clutch quickly end to end does not cause any sound. Slowly pressing it at the bottom end causes crr sound. Lubricating has reduced it little bit, not much though. Probably the sound is coming from the gear box housing. Little concerned about the C word (Clutch work). Hope I can drive for few more weeks before I have to do that ... (I hate going to the Hubli service station!)
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 4, 2015, Original Post Date: Feb 4, 2015 ---
    Finally problem solved. Out of sheer frustration I poured couple more squirts of general purpose oil in the places marked with arrow (see the picture in the beginning of thread) and left it there. I had given up thinking it is going to be a case of FASC visit. I took the car out for a small travel now and surprise - the sound is gone! Moral of the story is: have patience after pouring the oil. Check after several hours. It takes some time for the oil to decide where to go :D
    Rama, selwyn.a, ghodlur and 1 other person like this.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @RaviHegde

Thanks for the investigative effort. TFIians would now be aware where to look first if the clutch noise appears. One question though - Doesn't FASS take care of such joints in the scheduled checks. 15K checks are way too long for the problem to be detected and resolved. Whats the usual life of clutch if one does not do the clutch riding?
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The issue could be in slave cylinder, the clutch could get affected because of the same. Maybe the master and slave cylinders are showing signs of aging.
  8. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I think it all depends on the professionalism of the service advisor and the service station. At least the service station close to me does not do any such thing. They behave exactly like old generation Tata service station. I am saying this with my experience of owning a Tata car 10 years back. I feel I have time traveled 10 years backwards when I enter FASC at Hubli. I go mad if I even think of entering that place again - but no other choice unless I drive 400 kms to Mysore or 450 kms to Bangalore.

When I asked the service advisor at Mysore FASC he told clutch is good as long as it is good. Though we can know when the clutch has started failing (symptoms like clutch grab going down, clutch slipping etc.), it is hard to tell how long a seemingly good clutch will last. I believe him because in this forum you can read about some clutches failing pretty early and some lasting really long.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 4, 2015 ---
    I have done almost 40k on the stock clutch. So, the clutch related components are definitely showing their age. Sound coming from the slave cylinder area has completely stopped after lubrication. But now I can hear a mild squeaking sound from the master cylinder. May be lubrication in that area will stop that too. I will try that tomorrow. In any case I believe because of my minimal driving I can survive on this clutch till my next scheduled service almost 12 months away. May be I am too optimistic. Only time will tell.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @RaviHegde just a reminder. If the slave or master cylinder fails suddenly it can be a problem to drive; don't be surprised in that case. It happens sometimes. Although like you said the clutch can work for a longer time; perhaps it may work much longer than you anticipate.

Meanwhile try to see if you can take help and see how well the slave or master cylinders are performing.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @RaviHegde

My punto is running on stock clutch system ODO@1,30,000 Kms mix of City(25%) and Highway(75%) driving and i believe it will further go upto another 20K Kms.
    varin11, jackharrisw and asimpleson like this.
  11. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    Appreciate your suggestion. I will try to get opinion from a local mechanic. Not sure how much knowledge they have on modern Fiat cars though. Remember the other thread where I reported FASC mechanic's statement "Woh air keenchke leta so". That is the level of knowledge of the mechanics in this part of the country. They just do things by practice. Not by technical knowledge.

Wow - that's a really good clutch I should say. I wish my Punto also will have that kind of clutch life. Tell us what you did to get such a long clutch life?